{Plot 3}• CHÄPTÊR XIV

Astrid paced back and forth in her room restlessly as she watched the door, expecting the maid to come in at any time. She bit her nails nervously as she shifted her weight from foot to foot in anticipation. Immediately the door was pushed open she was quick to lunge towards the poor maid snatching the sheets from her hands. She wasted no time in spreading it open across the floor, her eyes searching for something but when she didn't find it she let out a breath of relief.

"Pick it up" she instructed the maid who had been watching the scene confused and a little disturbed but she did as told. "Are you sure you didn't see any blood stains anywhere else in the room" Astrid asked eagerly but the maid shook her head in the negative.

Satisfied with her answer Astrid pulled out fuce gold coins from her purse and pressed it into the maids hands, sending her off with one command "Don't tell anyone about this" with that she shut the door, not giving room for enquiry. A triumphant smile stretched her lips as she twirled around the room in joy, spinning and humming to a tune. She had succeeded in ensuring Darius and Audrey not consummate their bond. Originally she was skeptical when the pack doctor had given her herbal leaves- when she had lied of trouble sleeping if they would work for Audrey so she added a few more leaves than prescribed and they worked like a charm.

Her plan was simple but the two just had to complicate it with moving into the same room. It was already heart breaking enough to see them sleep in the same bed now she had to constantly keep an eye on them to make sure they weren't getting to intimate. With every scene she witnessed her hatred for Audrey burned like a furnace. The arrival of the elders had proved a great advantage for Astrid but a an inconvenience for the council men as they would be put under a magnifying glass till further notice. The elders arrival meant the matters of the realm would have to be broken down and accounted for by the council and if everything seemed amiss then it would arouse suspicion so the council were of no help currently. With the elimination of Lord Odin their plans were safer than ever.

Astrid witnessed it when Lord Odin's body was brought to the castle in secret and the rocks that had been kept in his pockets were recovered. The council had done a great job in painting the murder into a suicide. The assassin they hired must have been a professional for if Ryker couldn't find any proof then all seemed clear but the extra precaution Astrid took seemed fruitful as well. Certain that Darius wouldn't just leave the matter Astrid made sure to plant evidence that would further prove the first assumption on Lord Odin's 'suicide'.
Lord Odin's pocket watch just happening to be at the bottom of the lake where a particular sales boy goes to gather scraps which also happens to be the same place Lord Odin's body was recovered. Coincidence? Definitely not.

It sickened Astrid to her core to know that Darius went the extra mile for Audrey but knowing how he was it helped her save the council men's behinds so they were even now. She had just paid the debt she owed them for taking care of the Boatman that was an accomplice in the first attempt on Audrey's life. Till date Astrid was unaware what happened to him nor the coins she gave him but she was certain his fate wasn't a pleasant one at least she had no blood on her hands like the men of the council did. She was clean, fit for a true queen.

Although she found it hard to believe the old men were supporting her for the sole purpose of wanting her on the throne. She knew better than to think that. She hadn't known the men for a long time but by now she was able to tell they were self serving power hungry tyrants in the wrong position, for when Lord Odin posed a possible threat they wiped him out. He no longer served their purpose when he developed the unnerving obsession with Audrey for they knew it was just a matter of time before he slipped up or something went wrong.

Fortunately Astrid had overheard Darius speaking with his lieutenants as they maped out the area in his office. There she had found their plan to catch Lord Odin at the agreed upon spot and have him prosecuted. So without wasting time Astrid informed the council and they were quick to send an assassin to 'take care' of the matter. So she was aware her purpose also served their selfish means in some way, but how? She was unaware of the answer to that but she didn't care either. As long as she would become queen and rule beside Darius and Audrey would finally be out of the picture. For good. Everything had been working in her favor up until this point and she was certain the next blow would be one that would amount her the victor. Darius would finally be here and only hers.