forty six

Iris

It's November now. And our baby girl is supposed to be here in a few days. I'm so excited to meet her. But I'm anxious too. I know that I've done it before but it was 6 years ago. And who can assure me that nothing is going to go wrong? When I was pregnant with Emma, I wasn't thinking about anyone else because I had no one, but now I have a whole family to think about. And that stresses me. 

Harry hasn't gone a step away from me a week now. He says everyday that he feels that his second daughter is going to come soon. Emma is on his side, because she want to meet her sister. She spends hours and hours everyday talking to my bump, saying that she wants her sister to know the sound of her voice. I think that all of this is Harry's plan because he has to spend a few minutes away from me. 

My mother and Anne are currently living here in our house in order for us to be ready and not get stress about Emma and Oliver. We have two other kids to take care of, as Harry likes to say. Mum and Anne are quiet and not stressed, they are calm and that makes me happy. I love that they are here to help me and calm Harry down. He has been insufferable. Anne says that he has always been like that. Now, in adulthood, it's even more obvious given the fact that he has anxiety. I am the relaxed one in this marriage. 

I still can't believe that I am married. That I have a husband and my daughter has his last name. We ended with the paper work a couple of weeks ago and due to Harry's team, Emma is for now the youngest Styles in the family.  But soon that will change. 

The house is filled with voices trying to be heard over the laughter. I try to get up from the bed and go to the living room where all of my family is. I feel a strange pain but I pretend that I haven't felt anything. This might have been a contraction but I don't think it is, I'm not ready. 

The biggest problem of them all is the backpain I feel these last couple of days. The pain does my everyday life more difficult than it already is and I hate it. I can't move like I did a few months ago and that is getting on my nerves. "Harry." I yell my husband's name. 

I hear a loud Shit and then steps on the staircase. He is running, and I'm sure that he thinks that I'm going into labour. "Is baby coming?" He asks me when he sees me outside the room. He looks at me and he tries to understand if my water broke. 

"No, but my back aches so much. I want help to go downstairs." I tell him and he sighs. 

"God, what am I going to do with you, darling?" He asks me rhetorically and I give him my hand. He walks behind me and he rubs my back in order to ease my pain. "Baby, don't hurt you mother. She loves you." He says and his daughter reacts to his words immediately, making me feel more uncomfortable than I already am. 

Harry helps me get off the stairs and we walk inside the living room. The TV is playing Tangled once again, Anne is braiding Emma's hair and my mother is the only one that watched the movie. I look at this image in front of me and I smile. I can't help it! I didn't think that my kid and I will live in such environment. 

"Mumma, look at my braids. Granny Annie is so talented." Emma says and Anne hugs her tightly. Anne has shown so much love to her, without caring that she's not Harry's biological daughter. Other mothers would be bitter about that but that's not the case for Anne. 

"Yes, darling, she is. You are so beautiful." I kiss her cheek and I sit next to Harry in the sofa. He is answering to some email but as soon as he understands that I try to see what is going on, he turns off his phone and leaves it to the table in front of him.