fourteen

Iris

I'm at work today. I can't stand being here right now but I have to. Emma wasn't at her best today. She slept with me last night and she didn't want to go to school today. She cried and begged me to stay home with me or even come to work with me. I don't know what happened at school and she didn't want to go.

I called Chris first thing in the morning and he told me that Millie didn't say a thing. She didn't understand why her best friend was being sad. Then, I called William but he told me that his little one was still ill so he didn't know what happened at school that day.

I took her to school but she looked so sad when she walked inside. Millie was smiling at her but when she saw her expression she hugged her. They love each other so much and I can't stop talking about their bond. They are literally the best of friends. We made it as parents.

Molly knows that something is wrong with me today. She jokes about missing my boyfriend but didn't say his name. She don't know his name. Nobody at Pleasing knows that Harry and I are together. I don't mind them knowing but I want to keep it from the media. I don't care about myself but I have a daughter to protect. But, I can't leave work and I'm getting anxious just thinking that Emma will be sad at school.

My phone is ringing and I see that Emma's school is calling me. My fears became a reality. I shouldn't have let her go to school today. She should have stay with me until she felt better. Am I a bad mother?

"Hello, are you Emma Williams' mother?" A woman's voice asks me.

"Yes, I am. What happened?"

"Emma isn't feeling at her best. She can't stop crying and I think that she is going through a panic attack. She is at the doctor's office and the nurse thinks that she should come home. Can you come get her?" She tells me politely. My poor girl.

"Yes, I will. Thank you for calling."

When the call ends, I try to find the perfect excuse to leave work. I can't just leave without informing Molly and that is getting on my nerves. We have a meeting with the economic department and I can't miss it. We've talked about it for a while now and Molly has been pretty strict that no one from the creative team can miss it. I even asked her and she denied my request saying a couple of times how sorry she is.

I try to think the best solution. Florence and Tonya are both at their works so they can't leave as well. Emma won't feel comfortable if she sees Chris or Patrick. The only person that I know that can take care of her is Harry, so I call him. I know that he has a studio session today for some last details of the upcoming tour but I hope he finished early.

It only rings a couple of times before Harry answers the phone. "Hello, my girl. Don't you have a meeting, little lady?"

I sigh. "Hello, sweet boy. I do, yes. That's why I called you. I have to ask you a favor."  I tell him and I feel my anxiety being on its highest level. He hasn't stayed alone with Emma yet and I'm going to ask him to take care of her now that she is in that fragile state of mind. I'm such a bad mother.

"Tell me, I will do everything."

"Have you finished the studio session?" I ask him firstly.

"I have, yes. Tell me, Iris, you stress me out, darling." He laughs.

"Emma isn't at her best. She had a panic attack at school and I don't know what is going on. I can't leave work because of the damn meeting but the school said that she has to go back home. Can you go take her?"

"My little poor girl. Of course, I would do anything for my best friend. Text me the address." He tells me and after a couple of more words we end the call. Harry is an angel.