Chapter Two: Hide and Seek

Here is Chapter Two!

Enjoy guys!

Hide and Seek

I realised my mask had fallen off from my face, leaving me completely vulnerable.

“What do you want?” I whispered, horrified.

“I just want to talk, that’s all.” The Raven said, looking straight at me.

“You didn’t need to drag me all the way out here just for a talk! And you certainly didn’t have to throw me to make me listen.” I frowned.

“Oh, believe me Miss Moore, I did.” Then he came and sat down beside me on the concrete.

“Tonight, when you get home, you’re going to find your mother telling you of a proposal, made for you and she’ll also tell you that you’ll be getting married within a month…”

“What?” I shrieked. Was this some sort of a sick joke?

“But listen to me when I tell you this. You have a choice.”

That instantly grabbed my attention and I listened with my all.

“Either you go along with the marriage, and make your mother very happy, or you can run away. There will be a horse waiting for you in the woods behind your estate from midnight until two hours immediately after. If you do decide to run, then you must convince your mother that you’re ecstatic about the wedding, so she will not suspect any mischief. If you decide to stay, you will live an unhappy, unfulfilled life. But, of course, the decision is yours and yours only.” He said, but was taken aback when I started to laugh. He stared at me patiently, until I stopped.

“Is this a joke?”

“Thekla,” He said and I didn’t like when he referred to me with my first name, but then again, I wasn’t in charge here. “I don’t intend to lie to you, but if you want to believe that this is a joke, then go ahead. Once you’re home, you will learn the truth yourself.”

“I don’t believe you. Why should I believe you?” Tears welled up in my eyes.

“You shouldn’t but you will.” He said, casting a sad look in my direction.

The Raven got up and held out his hand. I instinctively took a hold of it. Something inside me trusted this man, something was pulling me towards him. He bent down in one swift motion and picked up my mask that was settled on the floor. He got behind me before I had time to react and fastened the laces behind my head. The mask was once again hiding me from the eyes of the society. With my heavy, straight hair sticking out in most places, I followed the Raven out of the set of identical rooms, until I was exposed to the comparably bright kitchen light. When I turned once again to check for him, he was already gone.

I rushed to the Ballroom, crashing into people on my way to the heavy wooden doors. As I got there the doormen opened the doors to let me out. I was startled and I flung myself to the first carriage within my line of vision.

“43 Seavenue please.” The driver nodded and the carriage started to move. I could feel every crunch of pebble underneath the wheels, as they ground off each other.

At last, I was alone.

I let the tears flow then. What had I gotten myself into? I didn’t believe any of it, but all that fear and adrenaline from the cellar caught up and I started to sob, uncontrollably, not holding anything back. I broke down.

The carriage came to an immediate halt and I saw my house.

“Thank you.” I whispered, handing the coachman a few coins. He nodded and left.

Only when I went inside did I think of Matthew, my older brother, who would be worried sick. I cursed.

I knocked and my mother answered, as always, she didn’t or pretended not to notice my red, swollen eyes.

“Darling, you’re home early. Is something the matter?” She asked, sounding genuinely concerned, but I knew the only think she was concerned about was money and fortune.

“No, I’m just tired Mama.”

“Well, my child, come, I must tell you the news.” She chirped.

No, this was not happening.

“News? Mama, what is happening? Is everything alright?” I asked, praying the Raven was wrong, but I knew exactly what she was going to say.

“The Duke of Honeybridge, Mr. Thomas Everyngton has asked for your hand in marriage, and I of course agreed. Congratulations my dear, you are to be wed.

I couldn’t hear anything that she was saying next. I barely retained my balance, as I was about to faint. It was true, it was all true. How had he known? How?

“Mama, the Duke is a little too old for me don’t you think?” I said.

“Nonsense Thekla, he is not more than seventy, and he has a good fortune. He also said the date for your ceremony. It will be on March the 15th.”

“But Mama, that’s only two weeks away!” I exclaimed.

“Oh Thekla, do not fret! I will be there every step of the way, this will be a wedding Sharlotte will never forget. I promise you that.”

I knew exactly what I was going to do next. The Raven had been wrong, I didn’t have a choice. There was no way I was staying and marrying a cripple. I was just seventeen. I had to leave. True, I didn’t trust the Raven, but there was simply no other way. None.

“Yes, Mama! That is wonderful! I would be honoured to become the Duchess. It would be riveting!” I said, smiling at my mother, who embraced me tightly.

“Pray release me now mother, I must get my rest.” I pleaded, and she let me go, shoving me towards the stairs.

“Goodnight Duchess Everyngton!” She said, as I walked up the stairs. I hated the sound of that. I was not going to be his bride.

I wasn’t.