- Chapter 38

With a surge of exhilaration, you plunged your sword into her back, feeling the satisfying resistance of flesh and bone as it penetrated her defenses.

A hushed silence befell the audience, rendering you immobile. Even the guards, who were en route to the Tsaritsa, halted in their tracks. The Fatui, perched upon their seats, remained stoic and impassive, betraying no hint of their innermost thoughts. As the seconds ticked by, the weight of your actions began to sink in. The reality of what you had just done hit you like a tidal wave, and your heart felt heavy with the weight of the consequences.

You knew that you had just changed the course of history, and that there was no going back now. But suddenly to your surprise, the people responded with rapturous applause. Everyone was cheering and the crown that was once on the Tsaritsas head, was placed on yours. Everyone was cheering your name, but soldiers and Fatui just stood and clapped. It all felt like a set up. You were set up, weren't you? If you thought about it now...how were you able to kill the Tsaritsa so easily? The Tsaritsa. A fucking Archon. This was a set up wasn't it. But the people kept cheering, and neither did they stop.

Eventually you were escorted out of the huge room by the guards, still feeling uneasy about the entire situation. As you were led through the private corridors, you tried to process everything that had just happened. The guards remained stoic and silent, and you couldn't tell if they were on your side or not.

You decided to speak up and ask them about the situation, but before you could even open your mouth, one of the guards turned to you and spoke,

"Tsaritsa, we must move quickly. We cannot stay here for long."

Your heart skipped a beat when she adressed you with that name.

As you walked down the corridors, you noticed that the atmosphere was tense and hurried. The guards were on high alert, and there was a sense of urgency in their movements. You couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen. Before you could dwell on these thoughts any further, the guards led you into a fancy room and locked you in. The room boasted luxurious furnishings and comfortable seating, yet an air of tension and oppression hung heavy. Its appearance resembled that of a conference room, complete with a massive table and eleven accompanying chairs. However, upon closer inspection, it became apparent that there were actually twelve seats, with the twelfth being a throne positioned at the head of the table. As the lights flickered, you began to feel a sense of panic rising within. You banged on the door, shouting for the guards to let you out, but there was no response.

The silence was deafening, and you could feel your heart pounding in your chest as you slowly turned around to face the table. Eleven members of the Fatui sat in the chairs, their eyes fixed on you, waiting for you to take the twelfth seat, the throne. They had appeared out of nowhere.

"Go on now, sit. You were pretty brave on that stage now..?"

One of the female fatui members smiled.

You hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to do. Slowly, you made your way to the throne, feeling the weight of the responsibility and power that came with it. The other members of the Fatui watched you intently, their expressions unreadable. As you sat on the throne, you noticed their expressions change.

"Foolish child. A true leader never takes orders..."

The elegantly dressed man with white hair murmured, prompting you to release a tired sigh and roll your eyes. However, before you could reply, the same woman cleared her throat, indicating that it was her turn to speak,

"Now, you have two choices. Either take up the roll of Tsaritsa...or be eliminated for impersonating the Tsaritsa by sitting in her throne. The choice is yours."

"Be real with me now...is it really my choice when the other choice is literally death. You can't be for real right now sheesh. Give me a third one,"

You snorted as you crossed your arms and relaxed your back to the throne.

The other members of the Fatui exchanged glances, some of them looking amused while others appeared annoyed by your response. The elegantly dressed man with white hair stepped forward, his expression stern as he spoke,

"Do not mistake our intentions, child. We are not here to play games or offer you choices. The fate of Snezhnaya rests on your decision. You either take up the mantle of Tsaritsa and lead our nation to glory, or you face the consequences of your actions."

You sighed heavily, knowing that he was right. The stakes were too high, and you couldn't afford to make the wrong choice. You took a deep breath, straightened your posture, and looked at each member of the Fatui in turn.

"I accept the responsibility of being the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya. But know this, I will not be a puppet or a mere figurehead. I will lead with strength, intelligence, and compassion. And if turns out to be a set up and you all start making fun of me for thinking I, could become the Tsaritsa then fuck you."

The other members of the Fatui nodded their assent, and the elegantly dressed man with white hair approached you with a small, silver book adorned with exquisite jewels and crystals. The book measured 4.25" x 6.87" and contained around 50 pages. He handed you a pen and instructed you to sign on the first page, which was an official agreement to assume the role of Tsaritsa. As you opened the book, you noticed that the subsequent pages contained detailed official agreements pertaining to the responsibilities of the Tsaritsa. You glanced at the man and then at the others, before beginning to meticulously read through the contents of each page. There was always a chance of one of the agreements being worse than death.

As you read through the agreements, you realised most of them were just rules indicating you can do everything. Although, hidden at the very end were the three most important rules for the role of Tsaritsa. The first agreement stipulated that the safety and well-being of the citizens of Snezhnaya must be the top priority at all times. This included providing access to food, shelter, healthcare, and education for all citizens, regardless of their social status.

The second agreement emphasized the importance of maintaining political and economic stability within the nation. As the Tsaritsa, you would be responsible for ensuring that Snezhnaya's resources were allocated fairly and efficiently, and that trade agreements with other nations were beneficial to Snezhnaya's interests.

The third agreement mandated that the Tsaritsa must protect and preserve the cultural heritage and traditions of Snezhnaya. This included promoting the arts, literature, and music of the nation, as well as preserving historical landmarks and monuments.

All the book told you to agree on was that you had all rights as the Tsaritsa, you have to take care of the country and the people, and cherish it.

"Ye, yeah, whatever-"

You shrugged as you signed the book.

The other members of the Fatui nodded their approval, and the elegantly dressed man with white hair bowed respectfully before you.

"We have faith in your abilities, Tsaritsa. May you lead Snezhnaya to prosperity and greatness."

Your gaze drifted towards the end of the table, where Scaramouche sat. It dawned on you that he had not made eye contact with you once, his expression stoic and devoid of emotion. Tartaglia, on the other hand, was staring down at his lap, his countenance reflecting a sense of despair as if he had just received the most dreadful news.

Maybe there was a catch that you had missed out on after all...