- Chapter 33

The next morning you wake up feeling disoriented. You open your eyes and immediately notice the bright sunlight streaming into room from the large window beside your bed. There is also a pleasant smell in the air, like freshly baked bread or warm croissants. You hear birds chirping outside, and what sounds like children laughing as they play on the lawn below.
You glance around the room to see where you are. It's not quite how it was last night, but this is still an impressive place: an extravagant bedroom with rich fabrics and luxurious furnishings that seem almost out of place. With every day you've started paying more attention to the small details in life. Scaramouche had really outdone himself with this house...

As you wander aimlessly through the house, you pass Scaramouche's room. His door is slightly open and you can hear muffled voices coming from within. You peer into the room and see Scaramouche sitting on the edge of his bed. The door automatically shuts as you try to peek for more. With every day you started to realize how weird your boss was, today you found out he talks to himself. You continue down the hallway until you reach the living room. You sit quietly on the sofa and wait for him to emerge from his bedroom. When he does, his face is red and he is breathing heavily.  He walks past you without saying a word and heads for the kitchen. After a good five minutes he emerged and handed you a cup of tea.

He takes a seat next to you on the sofa and proceeds to sip his tea. Scaramouche appeared to have a gentle, blank appearance to his face as if he was in a zen state and in contact with the universe. The fact that it was a calm morning meant that Childe was undoubtedly on his way to barge through your front door. And as you predicted,

"M'lady! Good morning to you!"

Childe rushes into the living room, nearly knocking over Scaramouche's teacup in his haste.

"Good morning to you too, Childe,"

you replied.

"What brings you here so early?"

"Just wanted to check up!"

Childe said, beaming at you. You can tell by his smile that he doesn't have any actual friends.

"Check up on what..?"

"If you guys would wanna join me for tonights windblume festival of course!"

You stare blankly at him, not understanding what he means.

"Windblume Festival? What is that?"

"It's a big party! Tonight! I thought we could go together! There's lots of different types of stalls and activities. You know...a festival!"

Your eyes widen. You loved festivals so Childe barging through your door wasn't that bad of a thing after all...

_____________________________________

You tried not to buy everything at the festival's stalls. As Tartaglia led you down the street, you picked up a few trinkets at random. At some point Scaramouche had become separated from you and Childe but neither of you noticed or really cared. Tartaglia was a bit tipsy and you were far gone to who knows where drunk.

With each step you take, you find yourself further intoxicated. And even though you're already feeling like a fish out of water, when Tartaglia suggests heading towards home...you agree and let him drag you back into Scaramouche's house. Your feet feel sluggish as he tries pushing you forward until suddenly something snaps inside of you—the alcohol burning away as cold soberness replaces every part of your body. Suddenly aware of your surroundings once again and understanding what was happening; you turn to look at the man dragging you towards Scaramouche's house.

His head turns quickly to look at you as well and his hand moves instinctively to hold onto you tighter to prevent you from falling.

_____________________________________

You woke up to a sting in your head. You looked at the clock... 4:18. You felt movement right next to you as you slowly got up from your bed. Scaramouche had returned an hour ago, also drunk, and had woken you up. He seems to have entirely missed which room he was in.

"Scaramouche..."

you whispered quietly.

"Hmhmhmm hrm-"

he hummed sleepily before nodding off again.

Sighing you slipped out of the room. Although you knew full well Scaramouche couldn't possibly care less about anything you did. You headed downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed some pills for your headache. While drinking the medicine down your mouth felt extremely dry...your tongue feeling very hot. Your thoughts drifted until you felt Scaramouche dig his face into your shoulder as he wrapped his arms around you from behind. 

"H-hey...what happened...?"

You whispered.

"you could've gone away, you could've left me...but you stayed."

he mumbled against your neck.

You remained silent as Scaramouche continued to cling to you, his arms around you as he held you close.
After a moment he spoke into your ear, whispering,

"I don't want you to leave."

You turned to look at him, feeling his breath against your cheek.

"What do you mean?"

You asked.

"when are you going to leave me,"

he asked, his voice slightly cracking.

The question made you shiver, his voice sending goosebumps across your skin.

"H-hey let's go back to bed okay?"

Scaramouche nodded silently and let you lead him back upstairs.

"Why are you like this...?"

You whispered.

"Why aren't you?"

He responded softly.

You sighed as you climbed back into bed.
Scaramouche quickly followed and pulled you into his embrace as he massaged your head.
You lay there in silence for a while, listening to the sound of his breathing. Scaramouche's hands moved slowly as they caressed your hair, stroking your forehead. The warmth of his touch seeped into your skin, relaxing you.

Eventually you fell asleep.