Chapter 30: Captain

The weather was peaceful, the sky clear and the gentle sea breeze did not warn of a coming storm. The sea stretched as far as the eye could see, lit by the bright sun, moving slowly with the gentle, calm waves of salt water. Seagulls flew in the sky and dolphins swam under the sea and suddenly leapt out of the water as a ship sailed near them.

Sunlight entered a room made of wood where a young man covered in bandage was sleeping peacefully. Struck by the light, his eyelids opened to reveal his beautiful eyes as he saw a ceiling instead of a sky since he thought he was still outside, on the coast of an island. (Y/N) complained about the pain trying to sit up as he noticed that he was in a room that was not very familiar to him even though he knew it was his room on his ship, but he had never had the opportunity to sleep there yet.

The memory of Stussy came to mind as he instinctively placed his hand on his shoulder with sweat flowing from his forehead. The door opened to reveal Yamato entering the room and she suddenly stopped at the sight of (Y/N) awake. Tears filled her amber eyes and she approached her captain who had not noticed her because of the memory of her previous defeat.

Yamato: (Y/N)?

(Y/N): I lost again... Just like that day, I lost again to the World Government...

Yamato: What are you talking about? Are you alright?

(Y/N): That day, I couldn't do anything to save Ohara and even today, I wasn't able to defeat the Cipher Pol...

Yamato: (Y/N), I'm glad you woke up, but I think you still need care. I'll call Trafalgar Law, just wait a moment. She tried to leave the room, but (Y/N) suddenly grabbed her arm to prevent her from leaving.

(Y/N): No, please, I need to stay with you, Yamato.

Yamato: ...

(Y/N): Yamato, I'm glad you're here, but I want to know how everyone's doing? What happened after Stussy bit me?

Yamato: Don't worry, everyone's fine. We got help from a group of the Revolutionary Army who chased away those two CP0 agents. Then we left the island with them.

(Y/N): That Revolutionary Army group is still on the ship? And Law too?

Yamato: Yes, do you disagree with that decision?

(Y/N): No, they helped us so they have the right to stay. I just want to thank them... I'm reassured that everyone is fine, I was unable to protect you...

Yamato: What? What are you talking about? You did your best, you went beyond your limits to protect us despite your injuries! It's my fault for being useless while you and Kikunojo were fighting CP0.

(Y/N): I am the captain, it's my responsibility to protect you. How can I be your captain if I am unable to defend my companions? I was cowardly, pathetic and weak against them.

The woman was surprised by her friend's watery eyes as tears began to flow along his face and fall onto the blanket of the bed. (Y/N) was not someone who cried often, he mostly hid his sadness behind a smile to avoid worrying the others. Seeing him cry was something unusual for her, she had seen him cry before, but this was a rare event revealing his deep feelings.

(Y/N): I'm sorry, Yamato.

Yamato: (Y/N)...

(Y/N): I'm really sorry for being such a weak captain...

Yamato: I forbid you to say that! You are not weak, we all know failure, it is a lesson that makes us understand our mistakes so we can move forward to become better.