21. The Encounter

VEGAS

'Goodbye, Vegas.' He really did called me just 'Vegas'. I know this is not his first time, but for the first time, he deliberately called me just 'Vegas'. I admit, I was a little bit pissed off when he asked Nop not to send him at the front of the main family mansion.

Shouldn't he be proud when he was sent home by him home by myself, the first son of the minor family? Or is he embarrased? Because I am the son of the minor family, not the main family. Without me realizing it, I clench my fist tightly, supressing my anger.

"Send me to the warehouse." Instead of going home, I decided to go to the warehouse that I've been using as my secret base to work behind Pa or the main family's acknowledgement.

From the outside, it seemed like a normal warehouse where we keep our goods to be sold to other mafia families. Here in this warehouse is where I keep the evidences of embezzlement that has been occured within this family for a long time. Let it be about the minor family or the main family. Pete is not wrong though when he said he needs me to get information about the affairs related to the family.

I spend my time in the secret office in the warehouse whenever I wanted to be alone or whenever I've got some thinking to do. Today is one of those days. Pete's story has been bugging me.

It is not the fact that I'll be dying soon is the one that has been bothering me. We are always at risk of dying, working on this kind of businesses, in this mafia world. That's a given. The fact that a war between main and minor families is the one that had been bothering me.

Both main and minor families has always been on the verge of war, but it never happened. That is because, both families know that the only reason for both families can still be considered as one of the top mafia families is the fact that both families can still work together in 'harmony'.

At least that was what is known among the mafia families. Once it is broken, it will be easier for smaller mafia families to rise. So I wonder what could have been the trigger for the war to happened. There is something I missed out, but I wonder what that is. Is it related to Porsche?

Ring... ring...

My phone rang. It was Nop. I answered his called after the third ring. "The rat ate the bait. Tawan has entered the nest." Nop gave me the message he intended to give me right after I answered the call. "Good." I ended the phone call. Now, all I need to do is to wait.

*********

I was in my office at the minor family mansion, going through all the old articles I found that might be related with what was going on between the main and minor families. Theerapanyakul family was once being one of the most strongest family among the most famous three mafia families. The other two are Anurak and Ritthirong.

I have heard of Ritthirong. They are still quite relevant in this mafia world, although they are no longer as influential as how they were as described in the article. They do live up to their name, I guess. Ritthirong means 'Good at fighting' and from the rumour I've always hear about the family, most of the members are very good in martial arts.

They are still using the old time method to takeover the territories which is by using violence. Unfortunately, that method is not so relevant in present time. Nowadays, we use business to expand out territories. We befriended the authorities. We spread our ideologies. We manipulate our enemy. That's how we strived to be on top of this mafia world.

As for Anurak... this is new for me. I've never heard anything about this family. Based on the old articles, Anurak was the most influential and respected family among all of the mafia families in the past. That was before their last leader died. That was probably all about them.