Chapter 36: Behind Bars

When midnight came, I immediately called Heng and he said he was on standby. He set up all the cameras and he was surprised that no other guards were there during the meeting. Perhaps they couldn't trust anyone.

"Tong is here. Where's Becky?" he asked.

"I don't know and I don't care." But the truth is I'm hoping she's not here. I'm hoping she's not an accomplice.

"Did you call the London Police?" he asked again.

"Yes, they're coming. Stay where you are and when I tell you to come out–" The line went dead.

My heart started to beat rapidly as I looked at the person behind me.

"Who are you talking to?" Becky asked. "Don't tell me you're planning something." She chuckled.

"Don't meddle with our plans, Becky. Go to sleep. And what are you doing here anyway?" I crossed my arms and tilted my head as I waited for her answer.

"I told my mom that I'd sleep with you. She agreed and told me to look after you," she answered.

Now, her mom is planning something. She wants Becky to look after me so she will know if I do something. Wait– her mom?

I went to my desk and flipped the pages of my notebook. I saw her mom's name at the end but I didn't recollect that I wrote that.

"I wrote that a while ago. She's an accomplice, Freen. The brain of all the crimes. I recently found out all of it, and I wanted to escape but Tong was looking out for me." Her hands started to tremble. "I wanted to tell my father but he was always away. I couldn't talk to my brother either."

"What happened?" I reached for her hands, but they continued shaking instead of stopping.

"Get him out of there as soon as possible. Or else he'll be dead meat."

I hurriedly grab my phone and call Heng but he didn't respond. I need to go there, I need to save him.

"Freen. Are you leaving me here?" Becky asked in a shallow voice.

"Yes." I turned around and left the room where I'd been hiding.

Becky's family won't touch her especially since her dad loves her so much. While Heng is in danger. He needed me.

It's not that I chose Heng over her, but I hope she understood the situation.

I went inside the mansion where Heng hid all the cameras and acted as if I was only roaming. This is a public spot for the family so they won't wonder why I'm there.

All lights are turned off and far from what Heng told me. Did he turn me in?

"Well, here comes our savior." I heard my aunt's voice from behind as the lights turned on. "I see you found me. The person behind your father's death." She laughed evilly.

"Where's Heng?" I asked bravely.

I didn't have any weapons with me, and the only thing I am sure that the cops are coming.

"You're late," she said and motioned to the guy behind me to bring out something.

I didn't know what it was but my heart couldn't stop beating fast. I am terrified. I'm afraid that they caught Heng and killed him on the spot.

Hot tears streamed from my face when I saw them pulling Heng in his arms while his blood was dripping on the floor. I covered my mouth and sprinted in his direction. I stumbled on the floor and held him firmly in my arms.

"Heng, wake up." I cried and shook his shoulder.

"What a touching scene," my aunt said and chuckled. "He doesn't have enough time. You can talk to him while he's still alive."

I glared at her and turned to Heng. He was coughing blood. His face was swollen and beaten so badly.

"Hold on a little longer, please. I can't bare losing another loved one again."

Heng held my hands and tried to smile. He coughed again, causing me to panic and tear up again.

"I have no time, and so as they." He plastered a tight smile as tears flowed from his eyes. "Please, whatever happens in the future you'll choose your happiness. I've reached my destination, Freen. Thank you for the long ride."

"This is London Police. You're under arrest. You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something that you later rely on in Court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

Heng smiled when they heard them. He caressed my cheeks and closed his eyes.

"No, no!" I yelled.

There are also ambulances and they help me with Heng. They arrested all the people they caught in action. They also searched the house and found much evidence of illegal smuggling and some paper works.

They took Becky's uncles, my aunt, other guards, and Tong. Becky's mother escaped and the police were searching for her.

"Are you okay?" my mother asked the moment she saw me waiting outside the emergency room. She was with Becky whose eyes were also swollen.

My mother hugged me and rubbed my back while Becky was standing in front of us, crying.

I went to Becky and looked if she had wounds or what, and luckily not even a bruised. I hugged her tight and cried in her arms.

"He's in a critical condition because of me," I cried. Becky rubbed my back and calmed me down.

"He's going to be fine. Be brave. Don't blame yourself, Freen." She hugged me tight. "Everything's going to be fine. You've done enough, Freen. I'm proud of you."