Chapter 28: Behind the Curtains

It took a week before Becky got discharged. I still didn't tell her about the killer I saw last week in the parking lot, but I already drew his face, so I wouldn't forget. It was detailed, every mole on his face and even scars.

I went to the rooftop to get some fresh air and Becky was left in the room because she was talking to her parents. I saw Richie on the rooftop, watching the clear blue sky.

"What's up?" I smiled at Richie and stood beside him, but not that close.

"Becky doesn't want to come with us, so my father is trying to convince her now. She's not safe here," Richie said and heaved a sigh.

I looked away and cleared my throat. Although I wanted to say something, I couldn't. What if they found out that I was the one stopping Becky to go? Would they be mad at me? They don't know that Becky loves me. If they also find out that, they will definitely take her away from here.

"You're her friend, right?" Richie asked, and I nodded. "Can you convince her for us?"

"As much as I want to, I can't. You're her family. If she wants to, she will. I can't force her to do the things she doesn't want." I pursed my lips and sighed. "Besides, I can take care of her here. Heng is reliable. Non is her good friend too."

Richie nodded and looked at me. "Anyway, call me if you need something. Tong and I won't be here for her but at least through you we can help her right?"

I've been hearing Tong's name but I still didn't know him. As far as I know, Becky has only one brother and it's Richie. Then who's Tong?

"I'll message you when she needs something." I smiled.

Richie nodded and patted my shoulder before heading downstairs. I heaved a deep sigh when he left.

Becky saw her family off and went back to our room. I was only reading a book when she suddenly tied my hair in a pony and kissed my neck, causing me to flinch.

"You just got discharged. Behave," I scolded her.

Becky rolled her eyes and sat beside me on the couch. She crossed her legs and leaned on my shoulder.

"My family told me that I have three days to decide whether I'm going with them or not. They will talk to the headmaster if I agree," Becky informed me.

"Do you want to go with them?" I asked and closed the book to look at her.

Becky shrugged and sighed. "Can I?" she asked.

"If I tell you I love you, will you stay?" I asked.

Becky was taken aback by what I said. Her eyes widened and froze for a moment. She reached for my hands and squeezed them and then she cupped my cheeks and blinked multiple times.

"Do you know the consequences of loving me?" she asked, causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

"If you're referring to the hate that I will get, I don't care. If it's wrong, to tell the truth, what am I supposed to do then?" I looked at her intently. "If this relationship isn't right, I'm prepared to face the consequences. Becky if loving you is a crime, I'm guilty."

Becky's tears streamed as she blissfully hugged me. "I love  you, too." She wiped her tears and smiled at me. "Can I kiss you?"

I grimaced at her question. "You kissed me without permission before we were not lovers, and now you're asking for it?"

Becky laughed and nodded. "You're right." She leaned in to press her lips on mine and I sweetly responded to her kisses.

"So, don't leave me, okay?" I told her. "I can't live without you," I said.

Becky pushed me, causing me to lie on the couch and the book fell on the floor. My sketch of the killer's face went out and she looked at it confused.

"What is he doing there?" she asked me.

I sat properly when she picked up the paper and looked at it. She looked so surprised.

"Don't tell me he's your father's killer? How'd you know his face?" she asked again.

"The day you were hospitalized, I went to the parking lot and saw your car there. I was only checking who fixed it but I saw him inside. I asked him what did he do for a living and told me that he was a businessman. When I saw his face, I knew that it was him, so I drew him." I explained.

Becky couldn't believe her eyes and kept shaking her head.

"Why? Who is he? Do you know him?"

"Yes, and you also know him," she answered.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He's your aunt's husband, Freen. He's also your uncle."