Chapter 10: Background

**"If you think that I appreciate it, no." I rolled my eyes and lay down on the bed. I covered myself with a blanket like I usually do every time I sulked.

I liked it every time she made an effort on me, but saving me made me feel like a damsel in distress. I know how to protect myself, and I don't need anyone else.

Moreover, I don't want her to sacrifice what she has for me. She already knew that people were trying to bring her down, yet she still followed what they planned. She knew that standing up for me would get her to the headmaster's wrong side, yet she did.

"Are we going to argue about this?" she asked, but I ignored her. "If I didn't do that, how can you save yourself from them? Can you bribe them? Can you offer them something so they would let you go?"

I removed the blanket and looked at her, enraged. So, that's what she thought?

"Why do you care? Let me handle things because I don't need you!" I yelled at her. "You think you're so high that no one can step on you. That's why you're treating me like bullshit!"

"Since when did I treat you like that?" Becky's brows furrowed. "I was helping you for some reason..."

"What reason?" I asked.

"You won't believe me, so never mind." She turned her back and went back to her bed. She put her earphones on and closed her eyes.

"I'm thankful for what you did, but please don't sacrifice your reputation to save mine. You're more important than me, Becky." I mumbled.

I went outside to get some fresh air. My feet journeyed to the rooftop of the main campus, and I saw Heng smoking. He smirked when he saw me and offered a stick which I accepted.

"I never thought you smoke," he said and chuckled.

"Desperate times," I replied.

We looked at the bluish-clear sky. It was sad. It seemed that anytime soon, the rain would fall.

"I knew you could save yourself inside that dungeon." Heng laughed and threw the cigarette's butt.

"You mean office? Becky came. She saved me," I informed him, causing him to scoff.

"I didn't know you're a weakling," he teased and took the cigarette from my mouth and smoked it.

I rolled my eyes and leaned on the bars.

"I don't know. I feel weak when I'm with her. She's like taking my energy away. She's sucking it. I hate it."

"Then you should stay away from her. She's making you weak."

I looked at him in confusion. He was telling the truth. She's my kryptonite, and I need to get out of her life.

"You're cool. Do you know that? You're the first person who hated her. You're the one who reported those who used illegal drugs. You managed to get away from the headmaster's wrath. If the students find out what you did, lots of them will admire you." Heng smiled at me. "You're a one-of-a-kind, Freen. A girl that any man wants to have."

"Sadly, I'm asexual. I don't like anyone," I replied. "I like being alone. I was born alone; I would die alone. That's how life circulates. Am I right?"

Heng chuckled and shook his head. "You're hopeless romantic. I hope you'll find someone who can make you fall in love and soften that heart of yours."

"No one can." I smiled at him.

Heng looked at me intently and slowly moved forward. "No one did because no one dared." He smirked and flicked my forehead, causing me to whimper. "Look, your daughter is here to pick you up."

I looked at the person Heng was referring to, and I saw Becky standing from afar, watching us. She turned her back and ran.

"Go chase her. That girl is way younger than us. She only became college because of her IQ." Heng chuckled and gently pushed me. "Now, go and make up with her."

"I know." I rolled my eyes and ran to chase Becky.

I hate running, but for you. Damn it!

┈┈┈┈․° ☣ °․┈┈┈┈

"What now?" I asked Becky while she was sitting on the edge of my bed and I was standing before her.

"I thought you're out to get some food, then I saw you smoking with Heng. Do you know that it can cause bad breath?"

I leaned in for a kiss and stopped myself in front of her face. I bit her lips, and she didn't react.

"It's a clove cigarette. It smells good."

Becky pushed me a bit and went back to her place.

"It can cause diseases. You should stop it," she nagged.

I crossed my arms and looked at her while she was latibulating. I dialed the cafeteria to order milk tea and food for peace offerings since I bet Becky was like this because she was hungry.

I sat next to her and leaned my head on her shoulder.

"My aunt was smoking, and she had lung cancer. Soon after, she died. That's why my father told me not to hang out with people who smoke," Becky explained.

"What does she do?"

"My aunt? She's a businesswoman. My dad is a politician and a lawyer. My mom is a doctor. My other uncles are businessmen, and your aunt's husband is a politician. Have you seen him before?" she asked.

I shook my head. Every time my aunt would come back from England, she was alone. I never met her husband. I met Becky before because her family traveled here, and they visited my aunt.

"Also, I'm not good with faces. I quickly forgot them."

Becky nodded and heaved a sigh. Her stomach growled, making us laugh. I wrapped my arms around her, and we looked at the door, waiting for the food to come.