Chapter 3: Room 101

"Is this room 101?" Becca asked the moment she entered the room.

I looked at the door, and it said this was the room. I didn't know what kind of stupidity she has for asking me even though there was a sign.

"Sorry, you must be Freen. I'm Becca," she said and entered her things.

She wasn't with our bellboy today. I thought he was assisting all the new borders here in IdR.

"Where's Heng? I thought you were with him. Did he leave you?" I asked.

"He's busy. Also, I can do this alone. I don't want to bother anyone." She smiled sweetly, but I only rolled my eyes.

"As far as I remember. You can't even open the bottle of soda," I mentioned.

Becca looked at me with knitted brows and crossed her arms. I could tell that she was getting angry. It was exciting, though. Let me see your true colors, Rebecca.

"Are you stalking me before? As far as I know, you're new here."

"You may not remember me, but I know you. Becca Armweak," I jeered and rolled my eyes.

"Stalker."

We both turned our backs in unison. I fixed my bed while she was organizing the clothes inside her closet. The room was big enough for two people. We have spaces for our closet, study table, bedside drawers, bed, and shelf.

I looked at Becca while she was tidying her spot. Imagine, even the wealthiest person in IdR could clean her own room. What more to those people who grew up in a village, right?

"If you know me before, you must be one of my relatives, but I don't have a cousin who wears such clothes." She looked at me from head to toe.

What's wrong with my short and oversized T-shirt? Does she know the word 'comfortable?' If I'm not mistaken, they only wear satin silk dresses and robes. Those aren't comfy enough.

"Then I'm not your cousin, l. Let I'm one of your childhood nemesis." I smirked and rolled my eyes again.

I'd been rolling my eyes more than three times now, yet she didn't care. When we were a kid, she always cried and told my aunt that I was misbehaving but instead of scolding me, my aunt would just laugh at the two of us. Maybe she knew her lesson.

I couldn't remember when was the last time I saw her. I just woke up one day, and my family told me she went away because I wad teasing her. They even tried to guilt-trip me, but knowing my attitude, I didn't care. She deserved it.

"OMG. You're the girl from that old village, aren't you?" Becca chuckled.

I really wanted to rip her mouth right now, especially every time she chuckled. She acted like a princess who was looking down on her servant. If she laughed again, I would definitely zip her mouth.

"You're the old Freen, aren't you?" Becca cracked up while holding her stomach.

Yes, they called me old Freen when I was young because I think like a grown-up woman. Is it my fault if I can understand adults' words and topics?

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked as she lifted her eyebrows and crossed her arms. "Don't worry. I'm no longer that kid who always clings to you. I've learned my worth now." She smiled and continued organizing her things.

After Becca finished cleaning her stuff, she ordered food and asked me if I wanted some. I refused, and she only nodded. The atmosphere became subtle. I didn't know why did she change her mood all of a sudden. Perhaps she was only hungry a while ago.

When the clock turned to nine o'clock, Becca turned off her lamp while I was still reading on my study table. I bet she wanted to rest now because of the tiring day.

I looked at my notebook and listed all the clues I found during the murder scene: the plate number, height, gender, and build of the man who killed my father.

Time of the crime: 7 pm.
Plate number: 17.
Height: around 189 cm tall.
Hair cut: Classic Pompadour.

I didn't see his face, but he was a brunette. And his body type was mesomorph. If he worked out more, he could kill my father in two-three punches in the stomach.

"Stop, don't do that!"

I was startled at Becca, who shouted out of the blue. I looked at her, but she was still asleep. Her eyes were closed, but tears were streaming from her eyes.

"Wake up," I whispered and patted her shoulder multiple times.

Becca held on my arms firmly without opening her eyes. It hurts, but I let her. She started to sob, and tears gushed down.

"Please, he didn't do anything wrong. Stop it, please." She begged.

Although I didn't know what had happened, I tried to ask her. I caressed her cheeks and wiped her tears.

"Did you bring the gift my father gave you? You used it on him?" she asked.

I couldn't take this anymore. She had to wake up.

I slapped her hard, causing her to open her eyes. She immediately covered her face when she saw me. She rolled to another side of her bed and kicked me, causing me to fall.

"A thank you would be nice!" I shouted.

"Damn you! It hurts!"

If I only knew that she would kick me after I saved her from her nightmare, I should have let her die in her sleep.