Chapter 18: Obstacle Course

"Freen, check the trampoline." The instructor said and walked past me.

No, he's not mad at me or something. This is our price for being the third placer in yesterday's competition.

T.S. said that as a winner, we could sabotage the obstacle course as much as we want because there are medics everywhere, and students will be fine.

"What a nice prize," I sarcastically said and rolled my eyes.

Becky has been repairing all the damages in the obstacle course because she has no. She has the freedom to save everyone while I'm here checking on them and warning the participants.

I think it's more than 15 obstacle courses they need to pass to get the trophy, and whoever finishes it in the fastest time will gain a victory. However, the winners yesterday weren't allowed to join.

"What happened there?" Becky asked when she saw me struggling.

"See that hole? Once the player's foot gets stuck there, they cannot pass this." I rolled my eyes and shook my head in disappointment.

"Last year's competition, someone died in this trampoline, yet they are still using it," Becky mentioned and touched it. "The first placer in the craft workshop put a stone underneath and a hole. When the target participant jumped, he was so excited that he backflipped. Unfortunately, his spinal cord hit the stone that caused his death."

Becky's eyes were expressionless so I didn't bother to ask who died. I didn't know the students here, so why would I bother, right? It's not like he's my cousin.

Many people were staring at us, and I thought it was because they were looking for a malfunction on the trampoline. A guy came and looked under it, and that was when I realized that it was not the trampoline they were looking at. Becky was wearing a short skirt, and they were trying to peek at it.

I removed my cardigan and tied it to her waist. Becky looked at me in confusion and I motioned her to look around. Most students looked away and her face turned red. She didn't notice it until now.

"Are you going to stand there? The race is going to start!" The instructor shouted, and we nodded.

Before I could sit down to watch the race. An unknown ID called me.

This is unusual. I don't give anyone my ID.

I was trembling when I answered it. Could this be another piece of evidence? It's been months since the stranger gave us the clip.

"Hello, who is this?" I asked.

"Freen, it's Mom."

I sighed the moment I heard her voice. Gosh, I miss this soothing voice of hers. I miss my mom so much.

"Why are you using a different ID?" I asked.

"My phone got missing. So, I bought another," she answered. "Listen, I'm in England today. Sorry, I didn't get the chance to say goodbye, but you know this. Your aunt found three people that could be suspects. They were interrogating them now."

I smiled a bit at the overwhelming sensation. This is the update I want to hear. I want to catch the culprit so I can live my life peacefully, and also I can give justice to my father.

I didn't know why but every time my classmates asked me if I am okay although I didn't have a father, I always said I'm fine. I hate explaining what I feel, so I'd rather lie.

Some may think that time heals the wounds, but when it comes to your parents it's a different story. Losing them means losing a part of you. No matter how many people come to fill it, there will be no one who can fit in. It's forever missing, and all you can do is accept.

Accept that we can never be whole again.

My mother sent me all the information she gathered about the three, so I went back to our room and listed them all in my notebook. I tried to puzzle it but it doesn't make sense. None of them looked like my father's killer. From their hair, well they could cut it, but their physique. It's difficult to be this masculine in just months. Also, their occupations didn't match their net worth. They couldn't afford that 17 Bugatti. Especially, 17 is a rare plate number and expensive.

Something's wrong here. I'm only a student yet I can identify whether the killer is one of them. How can they fool my mother and aunt? Perhaps it's because they didn't see the killer in person.

"What are you doing?"

I immediately closed my notebook and hid it in my drawer when I heard Becky's voice.

I can't let Becky what I am doing. I'm afraid she's going to use her power again to help me. I want to catch the culprit without involving her. She's powerful, but she's still weak. She can't defend herself.

"Nothing. T.S. gave me an assignment a while ago. How's the race?" I asked.

"You've been here for more than hours. It's awarded already and the headmaster wants us to be there for some announcements," she explained.

I didn't notice that. I'm so occupied with the information.

I nodded and stood up. I wrapped my hands around her waist and we headed outside.

I'm sorry, Becky if I'm keeping a secret from you. This is for your safety. I can't put you in danger again.