Chapter 13: Change Rooms

Becky rested in the infirmary since she needed energy and vitamins. I was beside her all night since she couldn't fall asleep without clinging to my arms. It became her habit. These past few days, she couldn't sleep on her bed without me, so I only transferred to my bed in the middle of the night.

However, today I need to make a difficult decision. Though it wouldn't hurt me, it would impact our relationship.

I realized that having her by my side would benefit me, but it was dangerous for her. If she kept clinging to me, those killers wouldn't think twice about hurting her.

"Freen?" Becky woke up without me, so she's panicking again.

"I'm here. I'm preparing your food; wait a minute." I turned to the plate in front of me and tasted every dish. I needed to check if there was poison or something.

I'm not immune, but Becky's body can't take it anymore if that happens. If she was drugged again, I bet she wouldn't make it.

"My father and uncle texted me. They said they sent a bodyguard yesterday. I didn't tell them what happened, but they found out. I bet the headmistress told them again." Becky rolled her eyes.

I stirred the soup and gave it to her so she could eat it. Becky thanked me and smiled sweetly.

"They sent one yesterday, yet you got kidnap." I raised my eyebrows at the irony. "Where is he?" I asked.

"He's outside. You didn't see him?" she asked back and pointed the guy outside, standing.

He has lots of cuts on his face and bruises on his neck. I guess someone tortured him before sending him here. I looked at the body physique of the guy, and he had the same body type as the murderer–mesomorph. They had the same haircut but different skin tones. Also, a bodyguard wouldn't drive a $13 million car if he was only a bodyguard.

"Why do you keep looking at him? Is he your type?" Becky asked.

"I told you I'm asexual." I rolled my eyes.

"But you kissed me multiple times," she said, then pouted her lips.

"Yeah. Eat first. I need to tell you something."

I sat on the edge of her hospital bed and watched her eat. She enjoyed the soup and ate every dish she had never eaten for years.

I smiled while watching her. She looked like a baby–my baby.

"I'm done. What is it?" she asked and set aside the table. "Is it important?"

"I have to change my room," I informed her.

Becky's expression changed. The atmosphere became subtle, and no one dared to speak. She avoided my gaze and slowly lay down on her bed. She turned her back on me as if she didn't hear anything.

"It's for your good. Those guys who abducted you were my father's murderer's accomplice." I explained in a shallow voice. "If I keep you with me, you won't be safe."

Becky turned to me with teary eyes. "But you're my comfort zone, Freenky. I won't be safe without you. I'd rather fight with you than be alone."

I sighed at her words. Becky is still, indeed, a baby. She didn't understand what I was trying to tell her. She wanted to be with me, although she knew it could cost her her life.

"I can't take care of you."

"I'm a grown-up. I don't need anyone to take care of me." Becky sat to level my face. "I only need someone to accompany me while battling this hell."

"But I have my own battles, Becky," I replied. "I have mine too, and I need to face them alone. I can't take a risk."

"Am I not worth the risk?" she asked.

I massaged my temple at her question. She didn't get it. She thought that she could do anything because she had money. That's not how this works. If they only wanted money, my aunt could give it to them. However, they didn't. They wanted me to stop investigating and even threatened to hurt my mother. They didn't like money. They wanted a soul, and I couldn't let Becky give hers.

"I need to breathe. I'll come back later," I excused myself and went out.

The bodyguard looked at me expressionless, and I squinted at him. He looked fine, but there was something in his presence that gave me a bad feeling.

I went back to our dorm and saw Heng waiting outside. I furrowed my eyebrows and crossed my arms. Heng sprinted in my direction, and without saying anything, he hugged me tight. A comfortable hug that lessened my worries. I felt safe in his arms. Was it because he was a guy? Or was I only missing my father's hug?

"I heard everything from T.S. Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

"Yeah. Becky was the one who got abducted. You should ask her that question," I replied.

"Becky would be fine in no time. I'm worried about you. I heard someone threatened you. Can I see the letter?"

I took out the piece of paper in my pocket and showed it to him. He squinted and insulted the choice of words of the accomplice.

"Do you think they are also students here?" I asked.

Heng shook his head and scratched the back of his neck. "I don't know, but one's thing for sure. You should refrain from what you're doing."

"Why? I need to find my father's killer."

"I know, but this is not the right time. The IdR week celebration is coming. There are outdoor activities, and if the killer finds a chance, he can kill you outside the campus. Lie low for a while, just until the event finish."

"And what about Becky?" I asked.

"As much as I hate to say this, you should stick with her for a while. You two can protect each other. Don't let your eyes off her during the event, or else you won't see her anymore."