Chapter 22: Doubt

I woke up to the deafening sound of my phone when my mother called multiple times. I lazily reached for it and answered. That's when I realized that I was alone.

Where is Becky?

I looked in the bathroom but she wasn't there too.

Where did she go?

"Freen, are you listening?" The yell of my mother from the other line took me back to my senses.

"Yes, what is it again?"

I heard her sigh.

"Someone is spying on you inside the institute. I don't know but you should be careful," she said, causing my brows to furrow.

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"I'll message you." After that, the line went dead.

I received a message from her and it was a picture. A picture of my notebook with all the information about the killer.

She also messaged me that the last person my father called on his phone, was the same number as Becky. Why did he call her? Were they planning to meet?

My heart started to beat rapidly as if it was going to explode. I looked at my side table drawer and it wasn't there. Where did my notebook go? And who the hell entered here as if there was no lock on our door?

I went outside to look for Heng so I could ask him who were the people who could enter any dormitories without the keys, but instead of seeing him, I saw Becky in the parking lot. She went out of the Bugatti La Voiture Noire, and its plate number was the same as the car of the killer. 17.

"Take care of my car, okay?" She shouted at the driver whom I didn't see the face of.

I hurriedly return to our dorm room with a heavy heart.

Why didn't I notice that before? Why didn't I doubt her before she changed her room the moment I transferred? She knew that I hate her, so she told Heng she wanted to room with someone who despised her.

The kidnappers didn't hurt her and used her as bait. She left her in the abandoned building and didn't free her even though they knew that Becky's father would kill them if they hurt his daughter.

And the clip, my mother told me that someone was following the girl who gave her the clip. Perhaps she was the one who was following her. The girl who surrendered wore a cap, yet her head seemed to have a sunbath.

The trampoline, she didn't tell me that she was the first placer. She knew everything that happened to the guy that even Heng didn't know.

The worse was she was the owner of the car which was used by the murderer to kill my father.

Becky, why? Why did you do this when I decided to trust you with my heart?

"Hey, good morning beautiful. I went to buy something. Are you hungry?" Becky asked.

"Yeah," I said.

I need to find more evidence. I don't want to believe that she's betraying me. Perhaps, she's being controlled? She's still a kid, and she can't do this.

But the thought of her killing the person who harassed her made my body tremble.

"Freen, are you okay? You look so pale. What happened?" she asked and touched my forehead to see my temperature.

I moved back and shook her head. "I'm taking a shower," I excused myself.

"Sure. After you shower, let's eat."

The moment I shut the bathroom door, my tears flow like a river. How can this happen?

I opened the shower and washed myself to rinse all her touch. I couldn't believe all the information in my mind. I couldn't handle all of it.

I sobbed and covered my mouth for Becky not to hear it. My biggest fear was here. It would kill me if I let my guard down.

I turned off the faucet and leaned my forehead on the wall, letting the droplets of water rush down to my face. Closing my eyes, I felt a warm atmosphere become denser, suffocating my whole system.

"Why?" I asked in a shallow voice. "Why did you hide your other personality from me when I told you that I wanted to know you more,"

"Freen, breakfast ready. Aren't you finished yet?" Becky shouted outside.

"Coming," I answered.

┈┈┈┈․° ☣ °․┈┈┈┈

My body looked calm compared to how tangled my mind was. My eyes were now welled up in tears, causing me to look down at my feet. I felt like someone stabbing me multiple times and I couldn't help but plaster a tight smile.

"What's wrong, Freen?" Heng asked.

We're on the rooftop again. I snatched the cigarette from his hands and smoke it.

"Desperate times?" he asked.

"More like depressed."

Heng heaved a sigh and looked at the horizon. I wanted to be alone, but I wasn't the first person to get here so I had to endure his company.

"What will you do if the person you trust the most betrays you?" I asked.

"That's a hard question," he commented. "I'll keep my distance. I don't want to keep toxic people. It will only ruin me."

"But what if you love that someone and you can't let her go?" I asked again.

Heng turned to me and looked in annoyance. "Cut those people who don't see your worth, Freen. Once they betray you, they will do it again."

He was right. Perhaps, I need to keep my distance.

But not now, I need to find more evidence and catch them in action.

"If you're talking about Becky, don't ask advice from me."

I turned to Heng after he said that. "Why?"

"You love her, Freen. You're being in denial." Heng looked at me. "And you know what kind of love I see every time you're looking at her? Agape. You're doing everything for her. It is unconditional love, Freen. Why can't you see that?"

I sighed and looked away. "This is not love."

I hope not.