Fifteen

"Is Taehyungie really a good guy?"

Seokjin turns to Yoongi with wide eyes, shocked at the sudden question. They're sitting in Yoongi's bedroom because Seokjin wanted to show and tell him all the things that he remembers about Yoongi— just like Taehyung had gotten the chance to.

"Taehyung?" he asks, tilting his head in the slightest. "Hm. Well, I will say this: he is persistent, wanting to protect you at all costs." He sighs and as if he's recalling a memory, he shakes his head to himself. "Jimin and I were on bad terms when you met Taehyung."

"So I've heard."

Seokjin chuckles, a bit embarrassed. "I didn't like that my best friend was so damn persistent too, however. You both drove me insane. It's not that I didn't like Taehyung, but us vampires are extremely territorial and I couldn't help but think the worst. But as it turns out, we both want the same thing; we want to protect you."

He gives Yoongi a small, kind smile, and Yoongi has already made up his mind for how he feels about Seokjin— this is definitely his best friend. From the moment Seokjin eased his way back in, Yoongi could immediately tell that Seokjin wasn't lying when he said they had become friends so easily. Seokjin is nice, funny, and caring.

The reason he asks Seokjin about Taehyung is because of the other night, when Taehyung had cried on his shoulder, Yoongi felt like he was at a loss when it came to him. Taehyung has been walking on eggshells and he understands it, but he also doesn't know what Taehyung wants from him anymore.

"He just seems so distant," Yoongi tells his friend, who hums in response.

"He's just scared." Seokjin sighs. "If you want my honest opinion, then that's just it; he's scared. I'm sure you are too," he mutters. His eyes are focused on one of the mangas in Yoongi's shelves, not making eye contact with him. He doesn't have to say anything because Yoongi knows what he's thinking.

I'm scared too.

———

Taehyung doesn't talk to Yoongi often other than an occasional text, but they're typically one line long and Yoongi never gets to have a full conversation with him.

Yoongi stays at his house now, but often has one of his friends visit— mostly every weekend or sometimes on weekdays too. He feels lonely in his room for some reason, especially considering he doesn't sleep and he's read so many books that he feels like his head might just explode.

Namjoon offers him a few recommendations to read, but he zooms through those as well and before he knows it, he's longing for a specific someone to come and hang out with him in times like this.

The evening that he and Taehyung had laid together and talked through the sunset, he felt so nice. He wishes that Taehyung would  come up to his doorstep and lead him to the roof again; it's something he's been desperately wanting to do again ever since... well, ever since last time they did it.

It somewhat saddens him when he realizes that Taehyung is staying away from him on purpose. Yoongi had promised to try and remember him, but with the lack of Taehyung's presence these days, he can hardly even remember what they last said to each other.

A part of him knows exactly what Taehyung is doing. He isn't sure how he knows, it's just intuition, but he knows that Taehyung is trying to give him space, trying to let Yoongi figure things out on his own terms, and he's almost certain that Taehyung thinks he isn't needed or wanted in Yoongi's life anymore, but it's all so wrong.

Yoongi needs Taehyung, he doesn't need space anymore. He doesn't want to figure this out alone. He doesn't want Taehyung to think he doesn't want him just because he can't remember him. He doesn't want Taehyung to think he's better off without him.