Fourteen

From afar, Taehyung watches as Seokjin talks Yoongi's head off, trying to convince the youngest vampire that they are in fact best friends. He tells Yoongi how they met in high school, when they met, how they instantly got along because the first thing Yoongi did was laugh at his joke and Seokjin immediately claimed him as his "human friend."

Taehyung watches from the couch, merely existing while Seokjin multitasks with convincing Yoongi while also trying to show him how to pack blood packets— nobody had taught Yoongi that yet, so it's not like he lost memory of knowing how to. It's nothing different from before; Yoongi still hasn't been taught a lot about how to act as a vampire and they would've had to teach him these things regardless of whether or not he lost his memory.

Normally— from what Taehyung remembers, back in the old days— it's Seokjin and Hoseok who fill their packets of blood. Namjoon never really involved himself in doing so, opting on making conversation with Taehyung and Jimin. The three used to watch Seokjin and Hoseok do that task up until Jimin and Seokjin parted ways— then Taehyung started filling containers with blood and hoping it would be the same (it was fairly similar.)

Watching Seokjin teach Yoongi sort of reminds Taehyung of those times.

As he's sitting there, watching Yoongi's hands slowly ease across the kitchen counter as he listens to Seokjin, Hoseok steps up beside Taehyung and decides to sit right next to him. Taehyung looks over at him, curious as to why he sat so close. There's an entire couch with other cushions— wide cushions— yet he chooses to sit close enough that their legs touch.

"What is it?" he immediately asks.

Hoseok only then glances back at him. His head drops afterwards, however. Taehyung feels a twist in his gut once he realizes that his prediction was right, that Hoseok has a reason to be sitting so close right now.

"I talked with my grandmother," he whispers to Taehyung, which causes the world to stop for minutes on end. The fact that Hoseok isn't smiling about anything really makes Taehyung feel nervous. "We tried to find a way to fix his memory. We really did. But we just couldn't." Hoseok must notice the look on Taehyung's face or the horror and pure agony set within his gaze. "I'm sorry, Taehyungie."

Taehyung swallows down the brutal lump forming in his throat as he looks back at Yoongi, who looks a little awkward with Seokjin despite knowing him for years now. The thought of Yoongi not gaining his memory back makes him sick, yet so undeniably sad. He can't imagine it. There was so much hope that maybe Yoongi would gain it back at some point and everything would be fine. But the second Hoseok sat by him, he planned to shatter Taehyung's hopes and he did a really good fucking job at doing so.

"It's fine."

It's not. It's really not.

He's sure that his expression is easy to read right now and even if it somehow wasn't, Taehyung doesn't care to stay around long enough for anyone to notice. He stands up from the couch and leaves the room, heading off towards his own bedroom. And he's positive that Hoseok knows just how upset he is, but he doesn't follow him or make a big deal out of it; he lets Taehyung have time to himself.

He closes himself off in his room and the second he hits his bed with his face pressed into his pillow, tears start to form.

He'll never have his Yoongi back.

Yoongi will never remember the things that made him who he is. He'll never get his memory back and Taehyung can't help but blame himself for ever letting Yoongi get near him in the first place. He should've never gotten involved with him after the day he saved him from Jimin at that damn party.

He should've told Jimin to knock it off and leave it at that, but no, he had to go and become Yoongi's friend and want him more than he could ever imagine. He just had to go and drag Yoongi into his life. He just had to go and let Yoongi become a vampire.

Actually, he never should've marked Yoongi's soul hundreds of years ago. He fucked up way before he even met Yoongi— he cursed Yoongi in so many ways, so of course he silently cries into his pillow after coming to terms with all of these things. He ruined fate's course and now it's biting him in the ass.

He cries, knowing he's done wrong. He cries, knowing Yoongi will never be the same again.

After a few minutes, his cries die down and he turns onto his back to stare at his ceiling for what seems like hours. There's a soft knock on his door, but before he can answer, the door opens anyways and the first thing he can sense is the scent of his lovely boyfriend— the very man who he was just crying over.

He tries to hide the fact that he was crying by wiping at his dried tears, but he isn't sure how convincing it is because he sits up on his bed as Yoongi sits at the edge, and Yoongi gives him the most pitiful look.

"Hoseokie told me what he told you— that I might not get my memory back," Yoongi says. Again, the reminder feels like a stab to Taehyung's heart and the frown on Yoongi's face makes him feel the same. "I know it may be upsetting. But I- I promise I'll try my best to remember you," he mumbles quietly, shyly as he reaches his hand out to place it on Taehyung's knee. "And..." He scoots closer to Taehyung and carefully brings him into a hug. "It's okay to cry, but don't cry alone."

For once, this is a new memory being created with memory-lost-Yoongi. Taehyung relaxes into Yoongi's hug and lets out a soft cry into his shoulder— something he's never done before. He's never cried in front of Yoongi like this and he's never been comforted like this by him, but everything feels incredibly okay in his arms.

Still, he wishes Yoongi could remember everything from the day they first met to all the things they went through to get here in this position now. It'll never stop hurting to think that Yoongi might not ever remember their relationship during the beginning stages.

But at least he has Yoongi in his arms now.

Even if his memory was the cost.

~~~

🥲 this is just cruel