The Appropriate Farewell

His voice always has an effect on the secretary. She halts her slow motion and there's a sense of reluctance in her turn to face the accountant but she does it nevertheless, tilting her head while looking at the lad with a tired demeanor.

A small smile stretches Koke's lips when he opens his arms in a hug request gesticulation. Mary straightens her neck before tilting her head a bit forward with an eye at him and eventually a similar smile like that of the colleague. She hesitates not to walk to him faster than when she heads for the door. Her arms are already open as well just to embrace her special friend. The two are somewhat of the same stature but the woman decides to rest her temple on Koke's chest with her arms wrapping his torso. She closes her eyes and squeezes herself too tight on him.

Meanwhile, the dude's chin rests on her head, his arms crossing over hers and clasping at the lady's back. His eyes try their best to look down her back. A heavy sigh leaves the accountant's chest but the secretary remains stiff on him with no movement. It's a moment of some tranquility which Koke ends by saying something to the mate.

“Don't lose yourself into me.” He offers a simple quiet laugh. Mary responds with a kinder similar one following it with a heavy sigh.

“Forgive my behaviour but this is some chance I've never had in my life. Have we even ever been this close?” She queries while still holding onto him with no change in her position on the dude.

“No. I just figured that this, perhaps, given the situation between us, was a therapeutic option.” Koke mutters. Another serenity follows as the hug lasts. The female might not be holding onto him as tight as earlier on but she's probably going to spend her night in his chest.

“Right. Therapeutic.” An audible whisper tells that she isn't asleep regardless of the fact that her eyes aren't open either.

“Yeah.” Koke replies almost likewise prior to a short silence, this time around not as long as the previous ones.

“So, tell me about your leave. Are you gonna stay around town?” Mary asks quietly.

“No. I'm going home.”

“To your parents?”

No. To my mum.”

“What about your dad?”

“I last saw him a long time ago.”

“How long?”

“So long. I was five.”

“I understand.”

They pause but the way the dude's eyes move indicates uncertainty. “What do you mean?” He questions.

“I got friends who've told me the same. Perhaps, some lost them. Do you hear from him?”

“No.”

The secretary sighs. “Life is messed up, Koke.”

“I know. That's why I need a break. It's been so much a tangle lately. Perhaps, I need enough personal space. I'm not getting enough of it here.”

“I agree. I'm not going to work tomorrow. But, I'm going to miss you so much. I wish you could stand in my shoes to help you understand that better.” A pause follows her statement. “I want to be that friend you'll never forget. I want to be there for you so that you can rely on me for anything. I feel capable of doing that. I can do it for you, regardless. You can tell me anything, anytime.” Her voice is louder than it is in the early stages of their embrace.

Koke begins to stroke her back, thanking the workmate for the offer and explaining why he hardly takes her moves serious. His mind is always set to think of a woman's approach as a sabotage. Sweet poison. “I might be available and vulnerable to normal life but trust me, regret is the worst feeling I want to experience. I can see it in the future what I want to achieve. I can see it coming. I see it in my dreams. I think about it every moment I breathe.”

Mary sighs on his chest. The accountant's fear of females is complicated and mystical. “I'm sorry. But that's who I am.” Koke mumbles.

“I'll make it up to you to pay for any threats made towards your principles earlier on.” The lady replies. She allows not for any further silence to fill the stound. She requests her host to assist her with his jacket that will double as a remembrance just in case he doesn't return from his leave.

Koke frowns and tries to convince the guest to stay for the night because he thinks it is late but it is late. Her mind is set and she tells him her special reason for the beseech. She wants to go to the beach. She goes ahead to set herself out of the hug, her chestnut brown eyes calm whilst she observes the lad.

“You want me to come with you?” He asks.

The secretary looks all confident with her vitalised blinks. “No. I'll be fine. Personal space.”

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Shortest chapter?....Well, so far.

Actually, it was initially longer than this but thanks to my editorial tasks, I had to cut out a big chunk of talk that I thought wasn't matching my current vision of where I want the book to head.

Anyway....

That's chapter twenty five for you. I hope it's indeed an appropriate farewell between Mary and Koke. Now that they both need personal space, what will manifest with the distance? Is Koke going to consider the secretary's position on his decision and make a u-turn? We shall discover ahead of us. Meanwhile, I appreciate the readership and I promise to deliver more of FALSE Clairvoyance as we roll on.

The Story Continues....