Chapter 57

I turned the letter over in my hands and squeezed my eyes shut. 

I considered setting it back down and burning it, and I wish I had. But instead, I pulled open the envelope and read the letter. 

'Dearest y/n,

'I am sad to see that we have come to this point. I wished we would be able to work together under different circumstances, but I see that will not be possible. Of course I am here wondering if it is my fault; never, did I make it clear what my true intentions were. 

'I only wish for you to consider my words, and choose me over that silly boy you seem to think you love so much. I can do so much more for you than he can. 

'I wanted to reveal my true intentions to you, so that you can properly understand what you're missing out on:

'I only wish to unite the wizarding world together in the way it was always meant to be- power with those who the universe saw fit to bestow it upon, and everyone else to serve the greater good and to serve under those bestowed with such power. 

It isn't as gnarly a sight as you've made this out to be- I only wish that you and me can rule together; can't you imagine it? You and me together, to rule over the wizarding world. Of course you can't, you've been blinded by the teachings of people who don't understand these abilities that you and I possess. 

'We are destined for greatness. We are destined to rise up above the masses and lead them to the greater world. 

'I give you until tomorrow to seek me out on your own, or another letter will find you with less desirable methods of getting you on my side. Think of what this could mean. You could have power, and those you love will be safe. But that is only if you come to me now. If tomorrow comes and you are not at my side, I cannot promise you the same things. 

'Please consider my offer carefully. 

'With Pleasure,

'Charlie XXX'

Reading his words made me sick, filling my stomach with what felt like snakes. I threw the letter on the ground and burned it up with my wand. 

As long as Sebastian and I remained in the castle, he couldn't hurt us, right? As far I know, Charles was only aware of my connections with Sebastian. Hopefully that meant that everyone else here was safe. Even so, nerves wracked my body- I felt so unsafe, even though I knew he couldn't hurt me within these castle walls. 

In my mind, I considered what Charles would consider total power. Would he use the ancient magic to get people to do what he wanted? Was he after the stores of it underneath Hogwarts? 

There were a number of things he could want. I know I shouldn't worry myself with that, though. I am safe here within the castle walls, and I only need to make sure that Sebastian follows the orders and stays within them as well. 

That night as I attempted to fall asleep, I couldn't shut my mind off. Sleep never came, and eventually I made my way out into the common room. It was quiet and empty per usual at this time of night, and I found myself sitting on the sofa by the fireplace. I closed my eyes and pictured Sebastian, remembering the time we'd spent together today. 

I knew he was okay, and that was enough to get me through this at the moment. 

I would never care what happened to me, as long as he made it out okay. If Sebastian was in danger, I wouldn't hesitate to do whatever Charles asked of me. That is why I need to assure that Sebastian stays within the castle walls. 

The next morning, I crept back into my dorm before anyone got up, and pretended to sleep as Nerida and Imelda rose in the morning. I did have classes that day, but I didn't know if I could stomach sitting through them. 

I know I needed to be focusing on academics, but I just didn't know if I had it in me that day. I laid in bed and kept pretending that I was sleeping until my roommates left, and then got up and got dressed. 

After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door. At first, I wasn't going to answer it, but then Sebastian's voice sounded from the other side. 

"Y/n, I know you're still in there," he said. "Open the door."

I followed his orders and cracked the door open. He came inside and wrapped myself into his arms, holding me close for a moment. He then pulled himself away from me and studied my face. 

"You didn't sleep again last night," he frowned. "You know you can come to me when you can't sleep."

"I'd hate to take away from your sleep because of me, though," I told him. He took my face in his hands and planted a kiss on my forehead. 

"It doesn't matter," he scolded. "You need me, you come to me. No matter the time of day or night."

I didn't answer him, but instead buried my head in his chest. I cherished this moment, relishing in his touch. His hands were buried in my hair and his head was resting on top of mine. If I could stay like this with him for the rest of my life, I would. There was just so much going on in my head all the time, and I felt like he was the only thing that could mute everything that was plaguing me. 

"It's time to go to class," he said. 

"I'm not going today," I told him. "I just can't."

"Well in that case, I'll just have to spend the day with you," he breathed. He moved his lips close to my ear and placed a peck on my earlobe. "What did you have in mind for today?"

"I am tired," I said. "I want to lay in bed."

"Then so be it. We will spend the day in bed," he smiled. His eyes were warm with undertones of worry, which was understandable. I hated to worry him, but it was almost unavoidable. It was just getting harder and harder to hide myself away from him the closer that we got. 

Part of me thought that I should tell him about the letter, but I wasn't sure. In my mind, as long as we both stayed in the castle, nothing bad could happen. And having him with me all day made me feel a bit better, even though I still felt guilty about him missing his classes for me. 

But schoolwork could be made up. You couldn't go back on it if it was your life that you lost.