Chapter 17

Sebastian's POV//

The party was in full swing, and I watched y/n from across the floor, dancing with her friends. She looked happy, and she was definitely intoxicated. I was as well- it was one of the only ways I could handle being in places like this for long. I wasn't a big fan of the party scene, but I promised Poppy I'd stay as long as I could for y/n.

After letting her hang out with the girls for a bit, I wanted to go see her and talk to her. I'd mostly kept my space, as I didn't want to be a buzzkill for her. Parties really weren't where I shined the best. 

As I attempted to part the sea and cross the room to her, someone grabbed my arm and turned me around. It was a girl I didn't know very well. her name was Adelaide Oakes. "Sebastian!" she said, sounding exasperated. "I really need your help with something!" 

"What is it?" I asked, curious. She seemed a bit startled, so I wanted to make sure she was okay before I left her. 

"It's my friend- we were doing something we shouldn't have, and... well, she's in trouble! I wasn't really sure who to ask, but she needs help..." she sort of trailed off. She looked extremely worried.

"What happened?"

"Well, it's best you just come see," she said. "Can you please come help her?"

"Yeah, fine," I said. I didn't really want to, but I also didn't want it to be my fault that I didn't come. I looked back towards y/n, who was still dancing. I could be gone for a moment and return. It shouldn't be an issue.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she said, grabbing my arm. She started to pull me towards the exit of the dorm. She led me up the stairs and out into the hallway. She didn't let go of my arm as she practically ran through the halls with me in tow. 

"Where are we going?" I asked her. 

"You'll see when we get there," she sighed. 

Eventually, she led me out to the transfiguation courtyard and let go of my arm. "Okay, are we here? Where is your friend?" I asked, getting annoyed. I turned around to look at Adelaide, but she was nowhere to be seen. I turned back around, looking across the courtyard. 

This was a prank. And not a very good prank, at that. 

"Sebastian, there you are," said a voice. Someone stepped out from behind the water fountain and came into view. It was y/n. Odd, since I'd just seen her back in the commons.

"Y/n?" I said. "How did you get out here so fast?" 

"Oh, I uh, just wanted to see you privately," she smiled coyly. "Is that okay?"

"Well of course," I told her. I came towards her. I looked her up and down- I could've sworn she'd had a pair of trousers on earlier, but now she was wearing a skirt. 

"I had something I wanted to talk about with you," she said, her face turning down towards the dirt. 

"Okay," I said. 

"Don't be mad, but I don't think we should be friends anymore," she said. 

What? 

Where was this coming from all of a sudden?

"We're not good for each other, Sebastian," she continued. "I don't want to see you anymore. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I needed to get that off my chest."

Her words cut me like a sword. Not friends?

"You don't want to hurt my feelings, but then you go and say something like that?" I shouted. I clenched my hands into fists as I spoke. "So I'm not good enough for you, is that it? You don't seem all so upset about this!"

"We both know that we're not good for each other," she spoke. Her face was deadpanned. She really didn't care. 

"So you've just been leading me on all this time? Pretending like you wanted to get to know me again, just to do this? Y/n, this is bullshit and you know it!"

"It's not bullshit, Sebastian, you just need to get over yourself. I don't want to be your friend anymore. You just need to accept it," she spat. 

There were so many things I wanted to scream and say to her right now. I wanted to punch something. I wanted to die. 

She turned around and jogged off, going back inside the castle. 

What the hell

Did today even mean anything to her at all? 

I wanted the ring back that I gifted her. I didn't tell her, but that ring was expensive. I'd even had my name engraved on the inside of the band, but she hadn't noticed earlier. I didn't want to tell her I'd done it, but it still hurt a bit that she hadn't noticed. I wanted it back. She didn't deserve to have it. 

I was angry at myself for letting her get to me. I knew she was bad news whenever I first met her. And she was right, we weren't good for each other. All we'd ever done is encourage each other to do the wrong things. 

If only she'd told me to stop, Anne would still be here.

If only she'd told me I was taking things too far; my uncle- he'd still be alive.

If only I hadn't tried to befriend her again, then I wouldn't be so fucking angry at her right now. I wouldn't be so upset. 

How could I let myself fall for her again? I knew I was never good enough for her.