Chapter 51

How strange to dream of you even when I'm wide awake🫶

Flashback...

I came home exhausted from work with Sofia in my hand. She was talking and I was listening to her.

"Diwd know you that I want be a big girl when I'm big." She exlaims.

She is just two and half year.

"You're my big girl already" I say picking up my keys out of my purse. "Where is it" I mutter. I find it between my files.

Finally.

I unlock the door Sofia runs to inside, I hang my and Sofia's jacket. "Sof wash your hands and come downstairs" I say from the stairs to her.

Mateo was outside doing some workout, I'll let him do whatever he wants. I drop my purse on the table, my eye catches a cd. I never put that or Mateo because when we left he went with Sofia to school.

My name is written on it. Weird. Where does this come from?

Curiosity takes over me. Luckily we had dvd-player. I take it out the case, I go to the television and bent down.

I put the cd in it and back down. I wait a few seconds until a hand comes into my view, They drop their hand.

Charles.

"Hey Alice, it's me Charles" he says.

He looks the same. Messy hair, the hoodie I gifted him.

A tear falls down from my cheek, I don't know how much I cried this week but my eyes started to hurt.

"Daddy" Sofia runs towards the television. "Mommy it's daddy."

"Every ending is not a beginning, every ending is an end. Remember that history only writes the unhappy.

No matter how clear the ending, I will always wonder what would have happened if I had tried.

Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness

The sun kept on with its slipping away, and I thought how many small good things in the world might be resting on the shoulders of something terrible.

You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it.

And like the moon, we must go through biogases of emptiness to feel full again.

It was very difficult for me to accept the fact that certain individuals may remain in your heart but not in your life.

So it's true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love

And in the end. It's you against you fighting for yourself, Alice"

The screen pauses on Charles features , I crawl on my knees back to the television touching his face even though he's gone.

"No, no, no" I say "Charles" I sob.

He had a smile on his face

"Charles!" I scream I lay down with my shoulders on the ground. "Mommy, I'm scawed" Sofia asks concerned.

"Charles" I let a sob.

I hear muffled noises but I don't bother to turn, see who it was.

"Charles" I cry out his name.

We didn't deserve this.

"Sofia go to your room, I'll tuck mommy in bed"

"Okay Teo" Sofia says in a soft tone, I turn my gaze to Sofia. She looked worried at me  as she went to her room.

"Let's get you to your room" mateo scoops me from my arms "It's going to be okey" he assures me.

"It's my fault" I mutter

I get inside, Mateo waits outside giving me privacy to change into my pyjama's. I don't bother putting my work clothes away, I just slip into my nightwear. I get under my blanket,

"From where did you get that?" Mateo asks
"I don't know" I whisper.

"Can you look out for Sofia today for me." I ask not wanting to look in her eyes. "Don't worry about that"

I'm a mess.

He closes the curtains after that he leaves, I stare at the ceiling wondering where it went wrong with my life.

"Is iwt my fauwlt that mommy is crwying" I hear Sofia saying to Mateo "She isn't feeling well kiddo"

"Shall we eat lunch and then go to the coast to play?" Mateo asks her. "Yess"

"Shht" mateo Shushes her
"Sowwy" she giggles.

I hear them talking while eating their food. A few minutes later I heard the door shut. When I was about to fall asleep I heard that voice again.

"Alice?" Charles says smiling at me as he was in front of me sitting on the edge of my bed

I get up confused what he was doing here.
He was supposed to be dead.

I hug him as he wraps his arms around me.
"I missed you so much Mia Cara" he says
"I love you" I say kissing him all over the face.

He puts our forehead together as he kisses my forehead.

"What happened that day on the cliff?" I ask

Sometimes I forgot what happened that day even, how I ended up in prison.

"I died" he says and my heart sinks.

He died.

"What do you mean? How?" I ask
"It doesn't matter" he smiles at me innocently getting my hair out of the way.

"Alice I'm death you're hallucinating" he points out.

And then he was gone, like he was never here with me. My hand was placed on my blanket as I was sitting half messy on my bed trying to progress what happened.

"I assumed you would always be a part of my life, yet you vanished as if you had never been. Only the memories are left behind." I say to myself with a crack smile.

This is what it felt like to have a broken heart. It felt less like a cracking down the middle and more like I had swallowed it whole and it sat bruised and bleeding in the pit of my stomach