Chapter 49

I'm trying to remember you and let you go at the same time 🕰️.

I don't know what woke me up in the middle of the night. But sure I needed some glass of water.

I ended not sending Sofia to school, I felt guilty after I yelled at her and psychically. I can't be violent to her. We spend the day baking cupcakes, her watching YouTube on my phone while I did ironing.

We watched a movie, went to grocery shopping. I don't want to become an abusive mother towards her daughter.

But no one except Charles had that bracelet even when he died, he had it around his wrist.

Maybe he was alive?

No Alice, he is gone.

When I pass Sofia's door I see the window wide open as the curtains flies with the wind. I don't remember opening the window. Hell I don't even open it during the night.

I close her window quickly, making sure everything is alright with Sofia. When I about to leave her room, I hear the front door shut downstairs.

I walk towards Mateo's room, I knock slightly on his door. "Mateo" I whisper "Mateo" the door swings open.

He is alert somehow.

"What happened?" He asks
"I think there was an intruder. Sofia's window was wide  open and I heard the front door shut" I say panicked. Mateo goes back inside and takes a gun from under his pillow.

"Stay here" he says before clicking the safety.

With that he leaves me alone with Sofia. After a minute he comes back with his laptop.

"Someone deleted the footage from between 10 till 15 minutes ago" he says as he goes through his face. "You could see his or her back only"

When he was about to take his phone, I stopped him. "Don't call him, it's the middle of the night." I say

"But-"
"No buts, this stays between us. He doesn't need to know everything" I say

He sighs before nodding. "Alright, let Sof sleep with you this night just in case" he says before he slips past me. He carries a sleeping toddler in his arms.

"Thank you" I say as he lays her down.
"It's nothing"

~~~~~~~

"I told you not to call him" I look at Mateo in disbelief.

He promised not to call Kai, but guess what he did it after I slept.

"He told me everything from the moment he found you shaking Sofia, telling her that Charles was death till the part he tucked Sofia in your bed" Kai crosses his arms.

He was mad.

"We could've handled it" I say pointing me and Mateo. Kai just shakes his head. "No, he works for me so obviously he is going to tell me everything"

It was 10Am and here I'm arguing with Kai about our safety. Sofia stayed today home, she was too happy.

"Tell me what happened?" He asks
"Yesterday at breakfast, I noticed the bracelet Charles always had around his wrist. But after a while I saw it on Sofia's wrist so I asked her from where she got it and apparently it was from Charles. She was telling Charles was here. Then I lost my shit until Mateo came. At night I woke up from a weird feeling when I wanted to get some water, I noticed Sofia's window was open."

I pause "I know I never open it during the night so when I closed it and looked if something was wrong. I heard the front door close"

Kai paces around the big ass living room. Whom had a beautiful view to the coast.

"You could've called me" I add
He cocks an eyebrow. "I had to make sure everything was okay."

I'm scared.

"Next week is our weekly dinner together, I should hear what they experience the same as well" he says.

I just nod.

Hours ago

Hours ago

I hear some noise, gosh why do I need to wake up and who is calling me at this hour?

I look from my side to see Layla sleeping peacefully. My phone still buzzes, I flip it and see Mateo's number. Why is he calling me at this hour? Something happened to Sofia or Alice?

I get up quickly and take my phone with me. I close the door behind me carefully. I accept the Call straight away.

"What happened?" I ask fast.

Nothing could happen to them, I promised Charles to keep her safe and now with Sofia as well.

"There was an intruder, the footage is deleted. Sof's window was fully open when Alice walked by her door." He says.

They wanted to kidnap Sofia.

"I'll be there in the morning, don't tell Alice about it" I warn him before hanging up.