60 Nik

The trip to the courtyard felt long as anticipation built. I had thanked my cousin and Ameer over and over despite their protests that they couldn't have done it without me. I wiped my ever-flowing tears tiredly. We were all spent. Three days in the dungeon had fought at my mind, body, and magic. I had fought the panic of being down there for so long, fought sending enough magic to them, and fought to stay awake the entire time. Callion had to wake me up countless times and I him as he held Ameer up. While I had pumped magic into Ameer and Taury, Callion filled up Garren as he held on to Taury.

Are you alright? Callion asked.

Enough to see this through to the end, yes. But I'll need a long nap after this. His warm laugher filled my mind.

Having come straight to Dath after the Bestowing, the truth between us felt new. I could feel the pull of the promise down my back. It wasn't unpleasant, but more like the same feeling of Taury puling my hair while braiding it. I felt gross after not bathing for four days. My system glowed with amusement, and I knew it was Callion feeling my thoughts. I had left myself open to him while we helped with Dath, just in case.

Nosey. I shot at him.

Shall I run you a bath afterwards too? I nearly purred at the thought. Thankfully I had managed to block that thought from him and instead sneered at him. He smiled in return.

The males placed Dath in the center of the courtyard when we arrived. Our group of friends circling around for protection. I thanked whatever gods were listening that Alden was nowhere to be seen. Aunt Kay stepped forward and poured the waking potion down Dath's throat.

I ran to his side, kneeling next to him. It took several minutes for the potion to hit his system and his eyes blinked open slowly.

"Dath?" I asked, unsure. We knew now he wouldn't hurt me, but my friends still grew tense at his consciousness. Callion took a step forward and stopped as Dath's eyes tracked him. "Look at me Dath." His amber eyes found mine with a clarity that hadn't been there for a long time. "That's Callion. He won't hurt me." Dath looked to Callion again, a growl forming in the back of his throat. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes," Dath said with no lack of insult.

"Then trust that that male is my mate and would never harm me. You don't need to protect me from him."

Dath's head snapped to mine. "Mate," he practiced the word, finding it true.

I motioned for Callion to approach. We had agreed that it would be the safest test with Callion being the strongest of us all and being my mate. Dath sat up and grasped my hand absently. Callion crouched next to me outstretching his hand to my oldest friend. Dath looked at it like it was a trick then to me. I nodded with a smile. Dath put his hand in Callion's shaking it. The act bringing tears to my eyes again.

"Are you hurt?" Dath asked at seeing my wet face.

"No," I sobbed, "That is the first time you touched someone without wanting to kill them."

Taury gasped at my brazenness. But I didn't care. This was Dath, and he never like when things were sugar coated.

"Kill them," he tested another set of words. His large hand released Callion's. "I killed people?"

I looked to Ameer and Taury, not knowing the answer. Dath didn't miss their grim nods. Dath stood abruptly, dragging his hands through his straight brown hair. The circle around us grew tense and weapons were at the ready. He searched the faces of his friends, ready to defend if needed. His hands became fists.