22 Ameer

The ocean was calm as we sailed as far away from the university as possible. The banister under my arms was worn smooth by the salt water. We had managed to pass the island used for the Trials and floated on the sea to regroup. Taury's father made certain that Dath was chained to a bed below deck, while her and her mother force fed him a potion so that he would remain unconscious. Eliza had gone with them, wanting to glean as much as she could. Rion had watched her walk away and had quickly turned around when I caught the direction of his gaze.

Everyone was uneasy with Rion's presence. A few of us still watched him warily, not trusting anything that comes from his mouth. He had certainly helped us and had blatantly turned his back on his father. Evander kept watching his brother in awe and confusion, as if he couldn't quite believe what he was seeing. Rion was clearly uncomfortable with the constant scrutiny. No one spoke, but it was on their faces.

I wrung my hands over the ocean. I had come here, needing to be alone. Guilt ate at me. We had rescued Alden, Dath, and the kid, Lennox, but at what cost. I was worried what Erix may be doing to Nik, Cal, and Faolan. I couldn't think of a way to help them escape. Not being able to take action, made me feel trapped. And when I felt trapped, I got angry. Nik had seen me get angry before, when she goaded me, last year sparing during The Bestowing. I was afraid I had scared her off, knowing her past with abuse. She had leaned into it, without fear. I hated that I never took a chance with her, too afraid to steal her from my best friend.

"Are you trying to kill us all?" A voice asked to my right.

Garren stood next to me, staring at my hands with wide eyes. Following his gaze, I saw that there were two burning handprints in the stern of the ship. Immediately, I doused it with water magic. I hadn't realized I had most control. I seemed to be doing that more and more after meeting Nik. Garren's face filled with concern. I looked away, not wanting his pity. He had enough going on in his personal life, he didn't need to worry about mine too.

"We will get them out," he said, quietly stepping forward. "I know we aren't as close as you and Dath were, but I'm here if, you know, need someone to talk to." He cleared his throat and ran a hand through his hair, his tattoo on his chest poking through his shirt. Garren was a good man. His motivations were always placed in what he felt was the right thing to do. We didn't speak much while at the university. He was busy with Sera and Taury, and I was busy with Nik and Cal. I nodded, not wanting to meet his eyes. "We fell in love with the strongest women I've ever known," he began, "what's hard, is trusting that they know their own limits. Even when we want to jump in and save them, even from themselves." I turned to him, heart pounding. He was sad and so incredibly wise. I had seen women like Taury, and why they acted the way they did. His words impacted me, and I felt that I suddenly owed him.

"You must speak to Taury. She has been hurt deeper than she is letting on," I advised. Garren blinked and nodded.

We sat there, at the back of the ship, in silence, watching the ocean bubble and sway. I'm not sure how long we stayed that way, just enjoying each other's company, each of us needing the other more than we wanted to admit. It was then that I was sure, not only did other Fae underestimate Garren, but he would fast become a friend. I searched the horizon beyond the island used for the Trials. The prison island was nowhere in sight. There would be no contacting Nik or Cal. I had to wait for a weakness in the shield blocking the island. I turned to leave, slapping Garren on the back, as a brother would.

"What's that? I've never seen that before?" Garren asked as I was a few steps away. I ran back to the banister where he was pointing to where I was looking. There, a smaller island shimmered into view. Gods no. They couldn't be there. I gripped the wood where my handprints lay permanently.