Prologue

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I felt my body move slightly, and took deep breaths. My fingers clenched open and closed, eyes squinting even more tightly shut. Something was placed in my hand, and that something stayed there. It moved, I felt something running across the back of my hand as I couldn't curl those fingers any longer. My hearing started to really pick up, and I heard slightly whispers around me as well as a possibly hopeful cry.

My back arched off whatever I lie on, it suddenly feeling stiff and as if I hadn't moved in forever. Taking another deep breath, my eyes began to slowly open. Once fully open, they shut again from the bright light.

"Chris, shut the drapes." somebody commanded another.

I heard footsteps, and then the sound of something being closed. As I tried to open my eyes again, I noticed the light was dimmer and it was easier to keep them open. I felt a lump in my throat as I looked around me, and attempted to swallow a million times.

My mind was sort of foggy, I felt drowsy in some sense. The thing in my hand tightened, and it was then I realized somebody was holding it tight. I didn't mind, but looked over to see who it was. My eyes landed on a face, a face I couldn't recognize at all. I looked around the room, and found more people surrounding wherever I lay, probably a bed. With my free hand I clutched at the sheets, eyes trailing back to the person who held my hand.

He had long black hair, at least it was long for a guy, and bright blue eyes. His skin was pale, cheeks tear stained. He had very light pink lips, two black lip rings occupying the bottom right corner of his lower lip. I sort of squinted at him, trying to figure out if I knew him in any possible way, but I couldn't place it. Shockingly I didn't question that, instead I questioned something else.

"Where am I?" I coughed out, throat almost unbearably dry.

"You're in the hospital, honey." the guy that held my hand spoke.

"Are you thirsty?" another voice sounded from the other side of me.

I looked over, to again find a man with long black hair and pale skin. His eyebrows were a little too perfectly shaped, so I knew they were drawn on. He had his bottom lip pierced as well, multiple times actually. I swallowed a bit, and nodded. The guy turned away a moment and walked to get something, bringing back a light blue cup.

"It's water," he informed me.

"Thanks," I replied.

I sipped at it, lips immediately moistening and throat becoming less scratchy as I spoke once more.

"What happened?" I asked, still not seeming to find the need to ask who these people surrounding me were.

As the two guys on either side of me looked at each other to see who'd tell me, I counted everybody in the room at this second. Six people were surrounding my bed, all somewhat similar in some way.

"T-There was an accident," the one that still held my hand spoke up finally. "You were driving home when somebody skipped out on their red light and collided with you." he finished.

"I'm going to go get her doctor." one of the guys at the end of the bed said.

The others nodded and I watched as he opened the door, shutting it behind him as he walked out. Everything was silent, besides the pounding headache I had. I looked around my again, trying to figure out if I'd seen any of them before. I couldn't place a single person, and finally the question I'd been wondering for however long came out.

"Who are you guys?" I asked to no one in particular.

The one that held my hand loosened his grasp, gasping along with the others. I looked at the one with bright blue eyes, more tears falling down his cheeks. His bottom lip quivered as he let out a sob that you could tell her tried to make silent. I looked at the other one on the other side of me, and he wasn't crying, just looked saddened.

"You don't remember us?" he asked me as I looked at him.

I shook my head and felt the bright eye'd guy let go of my hand completely, turning away and lifting his arms, I could tell he was covering his mouth with his hands to silence the sobs that escaped. I suddenly felt bad, seeing everybody sad in some way. I felt like I was supposed to know them now, and that asking who they were hurt their feelings. I hated hurting people, didn't matter how I just hated it. Before I could say another word, the guy that left walked back in with a woman in a white lab coat and light blue scrubs. She looked around at all the saddened people, and spoke up.

"What happened?"

"She doesn't remember us," the guy that still stood next to me told her.

The doctor sighed, and looked guilty of having to ask her next question.

"I need you all to leave, I have to ask her some questions privately please." she said. "You can wait out in the hall or in the waiting room," she informed them.

The guy that'd been holding my hand was dragged out the door of the room, looking at me with longing eyes and one of the most sad expressions out of the others.

"I'm Dr. Burke," the woman said as the door shut. "Is it okay if I ask you a few questions?"

I nodded.

"What's your full name?" was the first one.

"Sara Elena Martin."

"Good, how old are you?" she asked next.

"Twenty-two." I replied confidently. My birthday had been only a couple days ago.

Dr. Burke paused with her writing on a clipboard, looking at me and raising an eyebrow. Was that the wrong answer or something? She stood up and grabbed a light from her lab coat pocket, turning it on and telling me she was going to check my eyes.

I let her do her inspection, and she wrote down a few things before continuing on.

"What year is it?"

"2013." I answered. She bit her bottom lip cautiously and wrote down my answer.

"Last question, what's the last thing you remember?"

"Getting on the bus to go to work." I replied easily.

Dr. Burke sighed, and removed her glasses and folded them. Setting the clipboard down by my feet, she stuffed her hands in her coat pockets and looked at me with a sympathetic look. After taking a deep breath, she spoke again and her voice was laced with sympathy as well.

"What I'm about to tell you won't make sense for what you remember, but you have to trust me alright? We have proof if you need it as well," she told me and I nodded, a little scared for what she had to say.

"Sara, you have short term memory loss." she got straight to the point. "You aren't twenty-two, you're twenty-four. It isn't 2013, it's 2015."