Chapter Thirty

A/N: We made it to Chapter Thirty! Gosh, I truly had no idea this story would get this far and so quickly. Thank you so much for the support! ❤️❤️❤️

Katherine's laughter was as it always has been, sweet and uplifting much like her personality. It was a true joy and blessing to be back in her presence. It had been far too long.

Memories of how we spent time together doing little things like having tea, baking and spending time in her garden. She was a wise and beautiful woman, a heart filled with a lifetime of wisdom and love. It's no wonder Michael was as kind as she was.

Her gentle brown eyes glimmered in the light of the chandelier high above us as we sat in the vast dining room. Eddie was entertaining us and we were bursting at the seams with laughter.

"And that's when I was like, man! What the hell?" He burst into laughter as the bells atop his head jingle merrily.

"Eddie, please!" Katherine laughed.

Before we knew it he faded into the wall, his laughter still echoing through the room.

"Oh, that man!"

I laughed once more. "He hasn't changed a bit!"

She sighed and laid her hand atop mine. "It is such a joy having you back with us, Marie. No, Y/N."

"It's good to be back."

Chris was next to come and say hello. His hand took hold of mine and a gentle kiss placed upon my knuckles. "So glad to see you again! It's been a long time, eh?"

I nodded and smiled. "Yeah, and you're still as flirtatious as ever."

"Hey, now! Just don't tell Mike!"

"Don't tell me what?" Came Michael's gentle laughter.

Chris jumped and faced Michael, visibly swallowing hard. "Oh! Hey, Michael! What's up?"

Michael chuckled and circled him with an eyebrow raised. "Oh, not a thing"

Taking that as a cue to leave, Chris bowed and promptly exited the dining room. We all laughed at their banter and playfulness.

"Michael, please sit with us." Katherine patted the seat next to her.

He smiled and sat next to her, eyes aglow. Oh, how I loved the way they sparkled in the lights above us. It didn't matter what type of light, Michael had this glow about him. The light drew intricate patterns along the exposed skin along his neck, tiny specks of rainbows sparkled in the darkness.

Michael met my gaze and smiled, giving me a wink and a kiss. My cheeks burned and flushed brightly at the gesture.

"Now sweetheart," Katherine smiled. "Save the flirting for when you are alone, hmm?"

"Yes, mother."  He chuckled, reaching over to grasp my hand.

"It's truly amazing you are back among the living." She smiled tenderly. "When Michael told me I was over the moon."

I couldn't help but to smile. "Believe me, I'm still in shock, as well."

The air grew still around us, save for the quiet sounds of our steady breathing. I could feel Michael's intense gaze upon me, the flush once more returning to my cheeks.

Katherine reached over and smoothed a lock of hair behind my ear. "I know everything will work out somehow for you both. If the tests of time and space brought you back, then a bright future lay ahead."

Michael stiffened slightly, shoulders becoming right and tense under the silken fabric of his shirt. "Mother, what about–"

"Hush, darling." She held up a hand, thus quieting Michael. "I know you are worried about outliving her. In time we shall find ways around this. Just have faith."

She had a point, as painful as it may be. I am but a mortal human, and Michael was not of this world any longer. I sighed and gazed out into the twilight, still feeling Michael's eyes upon me. A shiver coursed down my spine as I gazed at him from the corner of my eye.

Just how could this possibly work in our favor? It was like asking God himself to shift the tides and reverse the curse upon Michael and his family. If not for that vile man so many years ago, the happy ending would have already come and gone.

As images of my past come rushing back I struggle against the tears forming at the corner of my eyes. Images of our first meeting, to those of our escapades together, to ultimately that fateful day in the meadow.

I sighed and closed my eyes against the ever flashing images as they play like an old fashioned film in the back of my mind.

Our first kiss, the beginnings of courtship. Well, possibly, Michael had always been a mystery and hard to predict.

Katherine nudged Michael with a smile and a nod, and in turn I tilted my head

With a nod Michael sighed, his fingers trembling as they remained clasped around mine.

"Y/N… I-I have something to tell you."

I swallowed hard, fear of the unknown forming deep within my stomach. My body trembled slightly, a faint sheen of sweat forming along my exposed skin.

"Yes, Michael?"

His deep eyes met mine in the twilight, his skin shimmering softly in the dim lighting. He was visibly trembling, and I had quickly become concerned. Was he alright? Has something else happened that I've yet to remember?

"You know I love you, right?"

"Of course I do, and I love you just as much if not even more."

Again he sighed, shifting his gaze about the room momentarily. Taking hold of my hand, he nods to his mother who returns it with a tender smile.

Michael took my hand and led me up the grand staircase case. Countless doors lay ahead among the hallways, lights flickering along the walls as we walk toward the back of the manor. I vaguely recall this area, as his bedroom lay at the farthest end of the hallway.

But he turned to the closest balcony, leading me to where a perfect view of the land surrounding the manor and the outskirts of town lay before me like a painting.

I softly gasp at the sight, "Oh, Michael. This is so beautiful!"

"Sure is," He sighed, shifting nervously beside me.

I continued to gaze at the landscape, leaning against the railing with eyes wide like a child.

"Y/N, look at me."

Turning to face him, I am met with the surprise of this lifetime and the last.