Chapter Three

My gaze shifts back to my sister, who is still laughing merrily with the creatures. If one could call them that. I had no idea what to say, were they monsters or people? Clearly appeared to be people, yet people brought back from the dead from the way their tattered clothing appeared.

"She is having fun, and she has been safe. I would never harm a child, if that crossed your mind." He growled faintly. "I've only ever been accused of that in my life."

I quickly shook my head. "No, not at all. I was only wanting to ask if you had seen my sister. She's here safe and well, which I'm grateful for, sir. I'm sorry she intruded upon your property."

"Far from it," he glared at me. "She had caught sight of my jester and they began a game of sorts."

Anna was again playing with the jester and the clown, dancing merrily with one another. I was immensely thankful she had not been harmed, and was safe within the walls of the manor.

"You should get back to town. Before you get too involved with me. I've already revealed enough." His dark eyes shifted back to the trio as they continued to laugh. "Just know she is a true joy to be around."

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, she has always had that quality. She kinda brings folks together."

"Hmm, that's nice." He replied.

My gaze settles back on the mysterious man, taking his features in one more time. His dark eyes nearly matched his equally dark hair. It flowed in soft waves to his slender, yet broad shoulders. He was quite tall, compared to my smaller frame. Tall, dark and mysterious.

"You really should be going." His voice was softer this time as he set eyes back onto mine.

I shivered inwardly at the gentle intensity behind his gaze. Why the hell did he appear so familiar?

"I don't wanna go home, Y/N! Please!" Anna's eyes shimmered with tears.

"Well we have to, now come on, kiddo."

The jester began acting as if he was weeping, hands rubbing at his eyes sadly. "Come on, Maestro! Let 'em stay!"

Maestro? Is that what he's called?

"They must leave, I've already said too much." Maestro replied, sadness clear and evident within his voice. The look in his eyes matched that tone.

I could see pain and hurt deep within the now soft chocolate brown eyes he held. Something clearly happened to this man. I was somehow sensitive to it. I may never know why.

"Leave, now. I've already asked you to." He swallowed hard, appearing to struggle with an image of being a scary entity.

Nothing was scary about him at all. Not in my eyes.

"I don't wanna go, Mr. Maestro," Anna pleaded, reaching up to curl her fingers into the edge of his ruffled dress shirt. "You're so nice and playful."

A smile formed along his features as he knelt before my sister. There is no way in hell this man was a proclaimed monster to society. There was no way at all. He smoothed her curly locks and set a hand on her shoulder, pain continued to show within his eyes.

"You should for now, dear. I won't explain why at the moment, all I ask is to remember the good time you had today." Maestro sighed and stepped back, looking into my eyes.

"I'm sorry for scaring you, if at all."

"No need to apologize, I find you to be quite interesting and kind." I reply in a soft tone, somehow longing to take this man into my arms.

He was taken aback at my words, his features softening further. The pain in those beautiful eyes of his broke my heart terribly. He was a beautiful soul. Why I could already tell amazed me, it felt so insanely familiar. Like I had known those eyes for ages, decades even.

"You're very kind. But I've got a deep distrust of the human race." Maestro replied as he turned away. "Long story that need not be told ever again."

I only nodded sadly, my heart breaking further. He reached into a nearby cabinet and produced a beautiful doll from within. Kneeling before Anna again, he gifted my sister the doll, which she immediately clutched to her chest as she embraced him.

"Thank you, Maestro!" She giggled when he returned the embrace.

My eyes welled with tears at the sight. Anna always had a way with people ever since she was born. And Maestro was no different, I could see him falling for her charms more and more as the seconds passed.

"You are most welcome, little one." He smiled, and I've never seen a more beautiful sight. He was so beautiful in ways I've never thought to be possible within anyone. "Consider it a token of my friendship."

Turning to face me again, Maestro's eyes had fully changed to a warmer brown, his soul could truly be seen under the scary facade he was forcing upon me.

"You're truly special, most folks are scared beyond a shadow of a doubt with me."

"Well, I can read people. My grandma was the same way." I swallowed hard. What was he trying to get at?

Maestro smiled, appearing to go back in time. How he knew grandma is still a mystery. I don't know if I will ever know why. "Sounds like Marie. She could see into someone's very soul by the eyes alone."

He sighed and leaned against the wall, closing his dark eyes momentarily before looking back at me. This time I shivered and he smiled more, he must have seen the visible reaction.

"Now that I think about it, perhaps we could talk more sometime. But for now you ladies should go."

Extending his hand, the mysterious Maestro took mine and placed a polite and tender kiss upon my knuckles. Another shiver coursed down my spine.

"I'm known as the Maestro, but you may call me Michael."

"Michael," His name felt so familiar. God, why did I feel this way?