Chapter Four

The coming days were quiet for us. After meeting with the mysterious Maestro, life seemed to turn upon its ear. I couldn't think of anything aside from him and the mystery he held.

Anna slept with the doll she was gifted, and took it everywhere she went. It quickly became a security blanket of sorts. She had calmed down considerably since that day. It was beyond all measure how calm she had become. All she could talk about was Michael and his family.

She would have this wistful look within her eyes each time the story was told by her charming grace.

I could only smile and look out the window, the weather had quickly grown colder and fast. Our fireplace was always going for the much needed gentle warmth. I shivered as my gaze settled upon the mansion in the distance.

Longing quickly spread through my heart and even my soul. Michael's eyes held so much anger, pain, and a hint of loneliness. How could someone so genuine be so alone? Well, save for those also occupying the mansion.

A sigh passed my lips, and Anna's tugging upon my sweater brought me back to reality.

"Sis, can we go see Mr. Maestro? I really miss him." She asked with eyes full of hope.

"I don't know, we really shouldn't intrude on his privacy." I replied, smoothing her curls away from her rosy cheeks. Upon seeing her lower her eyes I could feel the heartbreak.

"But I know he wouldn't mind. Mr. Jester told me he wouldn't mind company."

I sigh once more and put a marker in the book in my lap. My heart was broken in two different ways. Deep down I had also wanted to see him, even if it was just one more time.

"Maybe if we see him in town, we'll ask."

"No, he never leaves his house, Mr. Jester told me." She pouted, sitting beside me. "I really wanna go, he's my friend."

My eyes shifted back to the mansion, as the wind made its way through the trees. Leaves had already begun their early fall journey of rebirth. The fading colors brought a strange sense of beauty to the old building. A swirl of leaves moved down the path of which we took back home.

Almost as if they were beckoning us to his home once more.

Michael truly appeared to be a gentle soul, but I truly didn't want to push his boundaries. "We need to respect him, sis. I'm sure we'll see him again someday. But it's time for bed, I'll be there in a second to tuck you in."

Anna lowered her head and walked away, doll in hand. Her heart was clearly broken but it was a respectful move, I truly didn't want to push a way into anyone's life, especially after just meeting someone. It wasn't good practice, not in the least.

My gaze shifted back to the mansion, as a wave of longing washed over my soul. I was fighting an internal battle with my emotions. He was such a beautiful soul. How he could be called all those names and accused simply blew my mind.

Standing I move to the window, laying a hand upon the chilled glass which separated me from the world. Maestro– no, Michael. Just why are you so special to me?

"Y/N?" The sound of his voice made me jump, but he was nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere throughout the living room. With a shrug I move back to the window– and promptly let out a soft scream.

Michael was outside dressed in a long black cloak, a mask adorning his handsome features. How in the world?

"Did I scare you? I'm sorry." He chuckled.

Hand resting over my rapidly beating heart I dash out the side door to meet him. How could he know where we lived? We never told him.

Oh, my grandmother. If he truly knew her then that was a possibility. Or Anna let it slip during the initial meeting with him.

"How did you–"

"Know where you live?" He finished my question with a smile. "Well, a combination of your sister and the fact I knew your grandmother."

Bingo.

"Why are you here?" I asked almost too enthusiastically.

"I'm not sure myself, actually." a smile graced his handsome visage. "Just wanted to see how you were doing, considering we met under strange circumstances."

I only nod in response. "Seems fair," I reply with a smile. Why did his presence seem to calm me?

Michael pressed against the shadows of the house. "I don't get along with most folks here, I rarely step out of the mansion. So it's nothing against you or the little one."

I smiled and shivered against the cold evening air. "Would you like to come in to warm up?"

"The cold doesn't bother me much, I don't want to intrude." Michael replied in a soft, concerned tone.

"It's no bother at all," I smile warmly, and he takes the offer and drops his cloak over the nearby rocking chair.

Michael's fingers trace the wooden piece longingly, almost as if he knew the chair from long ago. His eyes closed with a sigh as he whispered grandma's name. What they shared I may never know. But truth be told, I was very curious to see what he had to tell me.

"How long has she been gone?" Michael asked wistfully.

"It's been a few years." I reply, sitting on the couch. "She left this house for me and my sister."

He leaned against the wall with eyes still fixed upon the flickering flames. The light flickered within his deep chocolate browns, giving them a handsome yet mysterious glow. I couldn't help but to gaze upon his features.

Michael smiled and shifted his gaze to meet my eyes. "See something that interests you?"

"Oh, I, um…" I trailed off, cheeks flushed a deep pink.

He had mercy upon me thankfully, as he turned back to the fire. "You're just like Marie. Shy, timid and even kind. It's almost like you share the same heart."

"What makes you say that?" I ask.

"She had such a kind and loving soul. Not a single thing seemed to bother her. From the very first day she cared for me. Unlike most people."

I listened intently, sitting in the rocking chair beside him. The tale he weaved about my dear grandmother had piqued my curiosity. I wanted to hear all he had to say about her.

"Gosh, she was the most beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on. Never had I met someone so kind." Michael met my eyes again. He was absolutely beautiful, so mysteriously beautiful. I still have no idea why I am so drawn to him.

But I was more than willing to find out the reason why.