Chapter Ten

Having Michael pay a late night visit sent thrills through my soul. I wasn't expecting to see him again for some time. Simply being in his presence eased my heart and mind. My mind was still wrapped in mystery as to why he was having such an effect on me.

As we sat together on the couch, the flickering flames cast mysterious shadows upon his handsome visage. He was truly something else, and I was becoming desperate to find out more.

Each time his chocolate orbs met my gaze, my heart would leap into the stratosphere. It was honestly like we had met in another place, another time period. His eyes flickered in the darkness of the living room, and again a shiver moved along my spine.

We sat in silence, save for the crackling of the flames and the wind just outside the windows. I could feel his gaze, and I blushed in response. My heart was racing within the confines of my chest, like a bird attempting to escape its cage.

Michael smiled at me from the side, his eyes shifting back to the fire. "No need to be nervous. I won't hurt you, dear."

"It's not that, I just get shy sometimes." I reply, my hands twisting upon my lap.

"I know the feeling, but I'm not shy around you. If that makes sense." He chuckled quietly.

Compared to when we first met a few weeks ago, it was a complete change and contrast. He was more open about things, and easier to talk to. Each new encounter was more fascinating than the last. And each time I wished for it to never end. Michael had such a calming presence unlike I've ever known, even though it was familiar just the same.

I slowly nod in reply. "Makes sense to me. I get it."

He turned to face me completely, and my heart leapt into my throat for a moment. Those eyes were simply incredible, so soft and so warm. Again, compared to our first meeting it was a total opposite effect.

"Your eyes are so…" I whispered, soon pacing my hand over my lips.

"What?" Michael laughed, having mercy on me. "They look weird?"

Shaking my head I smiled shyly. "Not at all, they just look… very beautiful. "

Michael smiled and I could see a faint flush spread across his cheekbones. It was so sweet and comforting to see him so relaxed after such a rocky start between us.

Silence came between us, save for the sound of our breathing. I was quickly becoming more curious, wondering what else he had to say about grandma. Still amazes me how she knew such a dashing man, and yet he looks so incredibly young. He must have found the fountain of youth, or something.

The wind picked up outside the window, startling me with a quiet squeak. I could see him try to hold his chuckle in, and it was very sweet. I flushed in embarrassment and turned away.

"Just like Marie, oh my gosh." He set a hand over mine. "She could be startled easily sometimes."

I slowly turn back to face him, to find his face mere centimeters away from mine. I took a deep breath and looked up into his eyes, taking note of how much more beautiful they were from up close.

Michael smiled, lacing our fingers together, my heart skipping a beat at his gentle touch. I couldn't believe how close we had become, and I truly did not mind in the least. He sighed and tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear, leaving a trail of goosebumps in his wake.

"Can I tell you something?" Michael asked quietly.

I slowly nod, feeling my cheeks become hotter at his question. "Sure, what's up?"

He sighed and looked at our joined hands, a look of longing for times long since past glimmering within his eyes. After a long moment he met my eyes and held my gaze. "You are so much like Marie, that it's driving me insane. Not in a bad way, of course."

I smiled and looked at our hands as well, only to be brought back to look up into Michael's eyes. His free hand slowly pulled my gaze to lock with his now intense chocolate orbs. I felt a shiver course down my spine. And it felt so familiar.

Michael sighed and continued to stare deeply into my eyes, and I began to wonder if he could hear my now rapidly beating heart. His hand moved to the side of my neck, his thumb caressed my pulse point with a smile.

"You are a lovely girl, Y/N. I apologize for coming off so rude when we first met."

"Don't worry, somehow I could tell you wouldn't hurt anyone. You don't give off that vibe." I reply softly.

He smiled and moved his touch to my shoulder. His touch was so warm, so tender. I was afraid to ask further questions, as I totally respect his boundaries. The reason I was outside to begin with was to get these images and thoughts to calm down. But now that he was here, my mind was running a mile a minute.

"I can tell something is on your mind, Marie had the same look in her eyes when she was curious about things." Michael smiled.

"I'm just curious how you knew her. For one, you're so young. And two, how I never knew of you."

He sighed and brushed my cheekbone with his thumb. "It's a hard story to tell, Y/N. And I don't want to scare you."

My hand moved to rest over his as it continued to caress my cheek. I could see the visible tremble race through his features, as his breathing picked up a bit. "I don't scare easily."

Michael swallowed hard in an attempt to steady himself, I could see his hesitation deep within his eyes. If anything he looked like he was afraid. "I understand, but–"

"But nothing." I smiled. "I wanna know, because it's been driving me insane, too."

A sigh passed his lips, "Y/N… I…"

Time appeared to stop around us, I swallowed the lump which appeared in my throat, my heart fluttering deep within my chest. This felt so familiar, so amazingly right. My mind began to race again, filled with thoughts of Michael.

His eyes flicked from my lips and back to my eyes. The glow they held sent shivers throughout my soul. And I was going along with whatever was causing this. I couldn't hold it back anymore.

I was falling in love with him.