Chapter One

I'm new to a place called Normal Valley. A quaint and quiet little town. Peaceful and quiet. Yet, at times, way too quiet for one's own good. Sometimes the silence gets to a sane person, such as myself.

Everyone seems to revolve around the Mayor and his cohorts.

Ugh, I've never seen or heard of someone more vile!

Everytime he is in town, I shudder.

There's something not right about this guy.

He always has the same smirk cast upon his features. All he does is speak of how perfect he claims the town needs to be. Free of negative energy, people and the like.

Always clamoring on and on about the mansion on the outskirts of the city, of how he needs to rid his people of the man living there.

Just leave whoever it is alone, man! They don't bother you, so why bother them?

A cold wind brushes past, as it's quickly approaching the fall months. I shiver against the brief drop in temperature, as the Mayor comes to the center of town square.

Ugh, not again.

"My dear people!" He bellowed with a smile. "We have some new residents, please make them all feel at home."

His cold gaze was quickly cast upon me, with a smirk he turned back to the gathering. "Whatever you do, do not let them near the old mansion. We don't want them to become like that dog who lives there!"

An older middle aged woman swallowed hard, her eyes narrow. "Oh, leave him alone. He's never bothered us, you know that to be true."

The Mayor glared hard at the woman, and I instantly felt bad. There was nothing positive about this man. Not at all. It was almost eerie.

"Oh, please! He's a crazed and miserable beast. Always trying to entertain the younger folks and women. To me that's nothing but terror!"

I rolled my eyes just enough where he couldn't see me do so. Just what is wrong with someone wishing to entertain an audience? What kind of bug is up this guys ass?

Turning back to the group, he continued his guffawing. "Anyway, as you were."

The people dispersed, looks of anger and disdain totally noticeable on their features. How could they still be here with such a moron leading them? This wasn't living, it was prison!

Why did I have to move here? God, I'm starting to regret it.

Another chilled breeze slipped past my slender frame, leading in the direction of the mansion. From this point of view, it was a plain old mansion. Just what the hell did the mayor mean? I highly doubt a beast lives there. This isn't a horror film.

I bet it was a kind old man living there with his family, living out his days just simply wanting joy in his life.

With a shrug, I go back into my home. The shiver refused to go away, despite being dressed for the temperature, and the fireplace going.

Settling down by the warm and flickering flames, I sigh. How strange that the fire wasn't giving any warmth. Never have I seen such a sight.

Outside a sudden burst of wind blew past, instantly making the fireplace go out. Thank God for having a furnace as well.

How could the fireplace go out, when all the windows are tightly closed?

Weird.

Turning the heat on, hoping for warmth, I settle on the couch with a book to read for the evening. I inherited my home from my grandma who passed away right after my birth. She never once mentioned the crummy mayor all but a few times from what my parents had said. She did, however, speak of the mansion. How it was far from evil.

I'd never find out, I have no plans going there.

Another gust from outside, rattling the branches across the window.

A tiny whimper dazed me from my thoughts and ultimately my thoughts. My little sister must have gotten spooked from his loud and booming voice.

"Y/N!"

She was all but 8 years old. I'm glad she hasn't seen much of the mayor. He'd definitely put the fear into her tiny spirit.

What have I gotten myself into by moving here?

"I'm coming, sweetie. Hold on."

Her tiny features were filled with fear, tears cascading down her round, pink cheeks. Stuffed animal clutched to her small chest, as it heaved up and down. "I don't like it here anymore!"

It had been a few weeks since we moved here. Grandma willed us to have what she left behind, as we were the only ones deemed worthy of her riches. A home to call our own, enough money to last a few years, if not more. But most of all, we had each other.

Anna held me tight, brown eyes wide with fear. "I really don't like it though, Y/N."

"I know, kiddo." I sigh, rocking her tiny form back and forth.

Grandma was one of Normal Valley's most successful folks, next to the mayor, of course. I recall how my parents spoke of him, and how grandma despised every inch of his being.

Guess it runs in the family.

A painting of grandma hung above the fireplace, I can almost feel her tender and loving gaze. Her soft brown eyes appeared to smile, as they did during her life on earth.

We missed her immensely, although we never met her, she was always there to guide us.

I held back against the tears, yet one managed to cascade down my cheek. I wished with all my might for her to protect us always, give us guidance in life from beyond. A signal of any kind would always be deeply
appreciated, and I'm sure she understood that from the other side.

A sigh, and I pick my little sister up and carry her room. "Come on, sis. You need your rest, we've been so busy so it's time to finally wind down."

"What about you, Y/N? Are you gonna go to sleep, too?" Anna asked quietly.

I chuckled, "Nah. I got you a couple things to do before that."

Another gust of wind rattled the trees outside, causing us to both jump. Whatever was going on, something was trying to tell us something.

Good or bad, I had no clue.