Chapter Sixteen

Days passed at a snail's pace, I had not seen Michael since that night we shared our first kiss.

My heart ached for his return. Despite trying to occupy myself with daily chores and making sure Anna was taken care of, my thoughts went straight back to him.

It was early morning and Anna had since left for school. Her little friend sat quietly on the couch to protect me. It was amusing and so sweet how she adored that doll. She took it everywhere except for school, of course.

I gaze out the window and at the last of the falling leaves. There was still a faint touch of late summer air mixed with the approaching fall temperatures. I shivered a bit and pulled my blanket tighter around me.

My parents were supposed to come by for a visit today, to check in on us and see how we had been adjusting to life.

They were both psychic mediums, very much in tune with the spirit realm. And a strong belief in the afterlife and beyond.

Mom expressed a sense of someone following me, and insisted they stop by before Anna came home to look into the mysterious vibes.

It had me curious and scared, and in all honesty, even worried. With all these strange images and dreams, one begins to wonder what could be going on.

Upon their arrival there were hugs and kisses all around, it was so good to see them. It was strange they didn't move here with us, the thought always lingered in the back of my mind.

"Y/N, how have you been, my dear?" Mom hugged me and placed a kiss on my cheek. "Tell me how you have been doing, hmm?"

We all sat in the living room, dad in the rocking chair, and mom and I on the couch.

She smiled at the doll and held it to examine it. "Such a pretty doll. Where did it come from?"

I froze, sweat beaded along my forehead. My heart was skipping beats. There was absolutely now way I could explain Michael to her.

"Oh, um… a friend." I managed to reply.

"I see. But there is a mysterious aura coming from this doll." She concentrated deeply on its face, almost as if staring into its eyes.

I blinked and ran my fingers through my hair, my anxiety beginning to rise. The woman was immensely smart, that's for sure. It was hard keeping secrets from her. Growing up during those awkward times as a teenager, I was almost embarrassed when she predicted things before they happened with me.

"A familiar presence is within it. A presence of a kind and gentle soul. Quite mysterious as well."

That was Michael for sure. I sighed and fidgeted in my lap. "What makes you say that, mom?"

"Oh, it's hard to explain, love. It's a presence from long ago, that much I can say."

"Dear, you're talking in riddles again." Dad smiled. "You know Y/N is a curious girl."

The air became tense, just enough to make the air uncomfortable. I was becoming more nervous as the seconds ticked by. Michael was in and out of my thoughts, and I could tell by the look on mom's face that she was searching for clues.

"He's quite the mysterious man, isn't he?"

I jumped in my seat, a flush blossomed along my cheekbones. How in the actual hell, mom?

"Who do you mean?" I slowly replied.

"The man who gifted Anna this doll. He's a kind soul, just poorly misunderstood and hated for the most mundane of reasons."

Michael did mention how people, including the mayor, had been on him for years. My heart began to ache knowing my parents knew of his suffering.

"Anna is infatuated with him, I can see why." She smiled, and set the doll aside. "He's wonderful with children. "

My mind had since begun to wander. I was grasping at straws as this mystery unfolded further. Deep within my heart I was begging for answers, longing to see Michael again and get his side of things.

"Y/N, there is so much you need to learn. But now is not the time." Dad sighed.

"You will learn in time, but for now, I think it's best to take Anna back home with us. There's a dark and unrelenting energy in the air." Mom added.

I was surprised, why hadn't they just kept Anna with them in the beginning and saved the trouble? My mind was running in circles. I could only think of those weird dreams, and how I was longing for Michael on a more spiritual level.

Mom set her hand on mine as it continued trembling in my lap. "We need to tell you about those dreams and visions. Before they consume you."

"Please! Tell me anything! I don't care what it is!" I beg, eyes misting over with tears. "Who is haunting me, and why? How come I can see through grandma's eyes?"

Dad sighed and lowered his gaze. That look only meant one thing, there was something serious going on or about to happen.

"Truth is, Y/N. You're not our true daughter, Anna isn't your sister."

My world began to fall apart. How could that be true? They are all I have ever known all my life! The world was turned upon its ear, my mind beginning to get blurry and my thoughts spinning.

"And Marie isn't your grandmother."

What the hell? This has to be some screwed up dream again.

"You are Marie's reincarnation." Mom sighed.

Oh, my God. What in actual fucking hell?

My eyes rolled to the back of my head and before I could comprehend, I passed out onto the floor. The last images I could recall seeing were my parents leaning over me.

"She wasn't exactly ready for this!" I could hear mom argue with dad as she pressed a hand to my forehead. "It's gonna be too much for her!"

Dad knelt beside me, my vision was in and out as he watched me intently. "She needed to know, and he needs to know. Before it's too late."

"Michael…" I whispered as the dark ess claimed my mind in its welcoming embrace as all conscious thoughts faded.