Chapter Eighteen

My tears mingled with Michael's as we kissed once more. I trembled within the circle of his arms as the world around us melted away.

Images of our first meeting flood the back of my mind, of how cold and callous he was. Yet somehow his unusual ways didn't scare me away, as I remained standing before him.

His dark eyes pieced straight through my heart and into the depths of my soul. Even then he felt so familiar, so right to be in his presence.

Now I know why the attraction was there, why my heart had always longed for my soul mate. As a young girl growing up, I thought it was just a random teenage thing, but it's hard to crush on someone that didn't appear to exist.

Michael pulled back, resting his forehead on mine. The smile on his face could rival the beauty of the moonlight high above in the sky. Its silver rays caressed his features in its soft light, giving his eyes a warm and mysterious glow.

"I can't believe I found you again," he breathed. "I thought for sure you were gone forever."

I smiled, unable to speak. Now all the dreams were beginning to make sense. Nothing seemed weird or like a storybook anymore. Words were failing me now, all I could do was enjoy the feeling of being within Michael's arms.

He sighed and kissed me once more. "Do you have any idea how sorry I am, Y/N?"

My fingers trace his cheekbones, slowly moving to caress his lips. "I'm not worried about that. I'm just glad you came back."

Michael smiled, another tear slipped from his eye. "I should have listened to my heart. But I was so confused, and I didn't want to tarnish my love for her… for you."

"I understand, I'd be feeling the same honestly."

We met with another kiss, his large hands cradled my body close to his chest. He was so warm and comforting, I felt so appreciated and loved. My heart felt complete for the first time in all my 25 years. To be able to pinpoint these feelings after so long as a breath of fresh air.

Elizabeth smiled at us with a hand over her heart. "How beautiful," she whispered.

"Sure is," John added with a smile. "How does it feel, Michael?"

Michael sighed and turned his gaze. "Feels incredible, it's like we never separated."

I blushed and laid my head on his shoulder. Anna smiled at us from behind Elizabeth, her doll clutched to her chest.

"As for this little one," Elizabeth began. "We took her under our wing. But we look at her as our own, just as you are, Y/N."

John smiled and smoother Anna's hair back. "She has a unique talent of bringing people together."

Michael smiled. "I noticed that. I wasn't sure how to approach it without scaring anyone."

"I'm not scared!" Anna giggles, wrapping her arms around Michael once more. "I really like you, Maestro. You're not scary at all."

I smiled as Michael rubbed the back of his neck shyly. A faint flush spread across his cheekbones, and I reached up and ran my thumb across them. The sigh that escaped his lips made my heart skip a beat.

"She's right, you're not scary at all."

He smiled and kissed my forehead. "You haven't changed at all, save for the name, of course."

"Y/N, would you like to hear of how you came to us?" Elizabeth asked, her violet eyes shimmered in the pale moon light.

I nodded and held Michael close, relaxing into his chest as he pulled me close.

"Well, you see," she began. "One moonlit night, I could hear the cries of a newborn baby. The cries pierced through the night."

John looked up at the light of the full moon. "When we found the source of the cries, you were wrapped in a fleece blanket. Not a soul to be found."

"When I held you in my arms, there was no denying you were part of our dearly departed friend. Our sweet Marie." Elizabeth smiled as she set a hand on our shoulders.

I blinked and nodded, listening intently. I was still confused, but things were coming together. As Michael held me close, my dreams and visions were beginning to make sense. Looking up into his warm chocolate brown orbs, I sighed.

He returned the smile, "I wish I had known sooner. Are you positive you can forgive me?"

"You know I have, Michael." I laugh. "How could I not?"

Elizabeth smiled and stepped back, taking Anna's hand. "More will be revealed in time. But for now, simply each other's presence. We can come back in a few days "

Michael nodded and embraced Elizabeth one more time, soon followed by a hug for Anna. It was bittersweet seeing her go, even more so that we aren't related by blood. But one does not have to be blood in order to be family.

"Be good, you hear?" I kneel down and hug her close. "Make sure mom behaves herself."

Anna nodded and giggled. "I will!"

Soon the house was quiet, save for the crackling and flickering of the fireplace behind us. Michael came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. His lips pressed to my temple and I could feel him smile.

"This has to be a dream," he sighed. "I'm over the moon."

Turning to face him I gaze into his doe like eyes, tucking a stray curl behind his ear. It was truly amazing how the past weeks had come to this, and the past few years of my life had come full circle.

He gazed down into my eyes and I shivered inwardly, the gentle intense glow his eyes held was indescribable. Compared to our first meeting, it was a total contrast. When he smiled and nearly came apart right there. He was absolutely beautiful inside and out.

"Thank you," he whispered.

I tilted my head. "For what?"

Michael responded by kissing me, his lips smooth as silk against mine, and as sweet as summer wine. He sighed and pressed his forehead to mine.

"For finding a way back to me."

Our lips met in another kiss, Michael wrapping me within the circle of his arms as we swayed in the moonlight.