Chapter Twenty-Nine

.: Maestro's POV :.

Darkness soon spread across the land, bathing all it touched with a soft velvet caress. The stars dotted the sky in intricate patterns, while an occasional shot across my line of sight. We stand on the back porch together wrapped tightly within the warmth of my cloak, sharing the occasional kiss.

Her body was soft and warm against mine, a complete contrast against my cooler temperature. And yet not once has she shivered.

I keep a firm and gentle grip around her hips, resting my chin atop her head, content by simply listening to the soft sounds of her breathing.

"A penny for your thoughts?" I asked with a smile.

I could feel her smile in return. "I've got a lot going through my mind. Good things, of course."

"I would certainly hope so," I replied, acing a kiss upon her temple.

She sighed, leaning further against me. All was at peace within the world, at least our world for the time being. My arms wrap further about her waist, and she responds with another sigh. It was music to my ears most certainly.

"Mother is overjoyed knowing you are safe and well."

"Really? How is Katherine doing?"

"She's well, hasn't changed at all." I smiled proudly. "Would you like to go see her?"

Y/N nodded and smiled brightly among the light of the moon. As she laced our fingers together we began to walk through the dark meadows.

With a swift change in momentum, I swept her into my arms and began to run at an almost alarming pace. Her laughter rang through the air like a gentle melody. I chuckle at the sounds she was making, smiling broadly as her arms wrapped tight around my shoulders.

"Hang on!"

I began to scale the trees, leaping from branch to branch, causing her to gasp and squeak in surprise. Just one more thing of which to explain to her, of how I gained unique abilities unknown to mankind.

"Michael! This is incredible!"

"It only gets better!"

Within moments we arrive at the main doors of the manor, and I set her carefully upon her feet. She was still in shock but had a bright smile on her features. The way her hair was strewn about her face was so adorable, I couldn't help myself but to tuck the flyaway strands behind her ears.

Opening the door, I motion for her to enter. "After you, m'lady."

"Thank you kindly sir."

As she placed her arm around mine, we were soon met with the merry sound of bells jingling above us. Eddie was happily perched on the ceiling, waving and chuckling in our direction.

"Well, now, it's about damn time!" He cackled as he jumped down before us. "Just where in hell have you been? Katherine has been so-"

Y/N smiled shyly at my side, a faint blush covering her cheekbones as she waved to greet him.

"Hell no, it can't be!" He exclaimed. "I ain't seen you in weeks! Where's the little lady?"

"Eddie, quick question." I held a hand up. "Do you recognize her at all?"

He titled his head, scratching at the stubble upon his chin. "Hmm, why do you ask?"

I smile and place a kiss on Y/N's forehead. As he began to put the pieces together, you could nearly see the wheels turning within his head. After a long pause, Eddie slowly gasped.

"Now that I think about it, she looks an awful lot like Marie. But everybody has a twin."

"Well, do you believe in miracles and reincarnation, Eddie?" I questioned with a chuckle.

"Man, why do you always talk in riddles?" Eddie huffed, disappearing into the wall, his bells trailing off into the night.

I can't help but chuckle and rub the back of my neck. "Please forgive him."

Y/N laughed. "It's ok, I'm sure we can catch up soon. I vaguely remember him."

"Michael! Where have you been?" Katherine made her way down the staircase hurriedly. "I was thinking the worst!"

"I'm sorry, mother," I embraced her reassuringly. "I have a visitor for you."

Lifting her eyes, mother gasped and tears of joy welled deep within her chocolate brown eyes. It had been decades since she last saw her, and just days before the tragedy. Lifting a hand to Y/N's cheek, mother brought her into a gentle embrace

"Oh, sweetheart. I'm so happy to see you!"

Y/N smiled and nodded. "Same here, Katherine. You haven't changed a bit."

Mother laughed softly, "Well, let me put it this way..."

"She knows, mother." I sighed. "We explained everything to her just this afternoon."

"I see. I am so glad it did not frighten or shock her in any shape or form."

Allowing them the time of which to catch up I make my way to the ballroom and take a seat upon the piano bench. Just having her back with us was overwhelming me and my body demanded rest so as not to pass out.

"Hey, Michael."

Looking up I find Chris leaning against the piano. "What's going on, man?"

"You have no idea," I chuckled. "It's been a whirlwind these past few days. Well, weeks in all honesty."

He nodded and gave me a reassuring grin. "Hey, that's life. Or in our case, afterlife."

"We're not gone technically, just caught in the space between." Eddie interjected. "And I see what ya mean, is she really Marie?"

"Yes, it's truly her. By grace she has found a way back to me... to all of us."

Chris appeared confused for a moment. "The hell? Since when you believe in that shit, Mike?"

I barely manage to hold back my laughter, my shoulders shaking as I struggle.

Y/N walked in with mother at her side, and all went still and quiet between Chris and Eddie. Even I couldn't speak, simply gazing at her beauty as she stood next to mother by the window. It was an image taken straight from a dream.

A dream I've had nearly every single night since her untimely death.

"Michael, follow me, honey."

I followed my mother upstairs towards the bedrooms, and into her quarters. She took a small box from the vanity and placed it into my hands. I knew what this was, and how she bestowed it to me just before we lost Y/N.

"I know what is going through your mind, son." she smiled. "As your mother I already know what's happened. But you can't stop love."

A flush spread across my cheekbones and I lowered my gaze to our hands. "Mother..."

"Take your time, I know you will make me proud."

And with that she faded into the darkness.

Opening the small box, I gaze upon the ring of which she passed down to me. It was her engagement ring, and it still held the same elegance and brilliance as I recalled from days of my childhood.

"I can't, not yet, mother." I whispered.

" I whispered