Chapter Twenty-Six

.: Maestro's POV :.

Warmth slowly spread over my face, causing me to wince as my eyes flutter open. My vision was clouded momentarily and I sat up with a yawn. Blinking back against the blurred edges of my vision I groan as I stretch. 

Normally sleep is difficult for me, it never comes to me. Never allows me proper rest.

But no longer.

Looking over I see Y/N sleeping peacefully, loose strands of hair falling over her eyes. I smiled and brushed them away. Even in sleep she was immensely beautiful. 

I was soon brought out of my reverie and I pulled my hand back. Turning to face the window I am met with the beginnings of daybreak.

Panic washed over my heart as I leapt from the bed in an attempt to dress quickly and get back to the manor before the sun made its way over the horizon. So long as I get back before the sun's rays reach the earth.

"Fuck!" I muttered under my breath, pulling my shirt over my head. It was a race against time.

Grabbing my cloak I wasted no time, but time waits for no one.

Before I could fully dress, the gentle rays of sunrise began to wash over the land, and I pressed against the wall as far as I possibly could. God, please, don't do this to me!

I hissed as the light began to fill the room, covering my eyes with my forearm, taking note of how quickly the gentle rays flooded the room. I can't believe I slept for so long, but it couldn't be helped. Yet it was making me feel backed against the wall with guilt.

At this rate she would find out the truth about me too soon. I had no way of explaining things just yet.

Pulling the hood as far as it would go I attempt to cling against what remained of the shadows. If I didn't leave soon my secret would be revealed far too soon. And it was a possibility that Y/N wouldn't understand. 

"Damn it!" I hissed again, fear fully consuming my soul. "This can't be happening!"

I had enough time if I was to run at full speed back to the manor. There just had to be enough time. My eyes searched for the quickest route from the house, my breath quickening against the rapid best of my heart.

"Michael?" 

I jumped and pulled the cloak as tight as possible around me, "Don't look!"

Y/N had already begun walking towards me, her body wrapped within a sheet as her small feet padded along the carpet. "What's wrong?"

With a near violent shake of my head I slowly backed further into the corner, tears freely streaming from my eyes. Now she would see me for the monster I had become. What I had suffered just moments after her death all those years ago.

Her hand, soft and warm, reached out to caress my tear ridden cheek. "Baby, please, look at me."

"No, I can't. Please let me be, Y/N!"

But her touch didn't waver. If anything she had moved closer to where our bodies nearly touched. I pulled the cloak even tighter around me, keeping my eyes firmly locked on the floor. Again tears cascaded from my eyes and over her fingertips. How could I possibly explain things now without shocking her anymore than she was now?

"Michael, please–" 

"--I said don't look at me!" I nearly growled, voice unsteady and breaking. "Just don't, not right now!"

I could feel her inch away momentarily, and my heart sank into the dark confines of my chest, where it had ultimately belonged for the past few decades.

A gasp forced past my lips as she flung her arms around my waist, burying her face against my shoulder. Again, I struggled against her embrace. I was steadily losing the battle as the tears steadily increased, silent sobs wracking my body.

"Michael, please stop!"

With a grunt of frustration I carefully managed to break free of her embrace, my heart breaking all the more at the loss of contact. I know my actions had to be hurting her, but I just couldn't allow her to see me.

Not yet. Not like this.

I could hear the soft sobs tearing from her throat, but still she did not waver.

As her hand grasped the edge of the hood, I closed my eyes tight and began to pray.

Her soft gasp was not of fear as I had anticipated. 

It was of wonder and surprise.

Y/N's fingertips grazed my tear covered cheek tenderly, over and over again.

"Michael, how–"

"I'm not of this world, Y/N." I finally managed to reply. "I'm a monster."

The hood fully fell down and away from my face and I grimaced in anticipation of frightening her. The last thing I ever wanted was to scare her away.

"You're beautiful," she breathed. "How can you say that?"

I slowly opened my eyes to meet hers, which were filled with tears as well. She fell into my arms and we simply stood there, simply listening to the best of our hearts. 

Her shoulder shook with silent tears, which could be felt through the material of my shirt as she cried. My heart broke further knowing I had caused this.

"I'm sorry, I don't have an explanation…"

"I don't care, Michael." Y/N replied. "You don't need to explain anything right now, take all you need."

I sobbed to myself as my arms fell to my sides as fear swept its way through my soul. 

"Y/N, please," I attempted to once more pull her away.

"No, I'm not gonna lose you again!"

She looked up at me with fear in her shimmering orbs, her shoulders visibly trembling before her lips captured mine in a kiss so deep that it stole my breath away.

We remained that way for a long moment before pulling away. Her fingertips were warm and soothing against my damp cheek as she gazed into my very soul.

"I can't lose you again, Michael."

"Neither can I, Y/N. The world is a cold and empty place without you."

"Then please… please don't go."

I sighed and shifted my gaze to the window as the sun fully rose above the horizon, covering the land with its warm and brilliant rays of light. This is It, I suppose. The truth had to be released at some point. I just pray that it would not frighten her in any shape or form.

"I'm not who I seem to be."

Silently walking to the window I swallowed hard against the lump in my throat as I slowly allowed the cloak to fall at my feet. As warm as the sun felt, it was almost painful to me allowing her full view of what was to be revealed.

"I'm not human anymore," I whispered, slowly moving to turn and face her once more.

She gasped softly as I raised my hand to meet the rays of light, and I closed my eyes tight to avoid the possible reaction.

"Michael, you're–"

"I know, a monster."

"No. You're so beautiful."