Chapter Two

Chapter Two;

The days that followed were just as strange,  if not more weirder. The weather suddenly became chilly despite it being late summer. Normal Valley appeared to be a mix of warm and mild towards early fall.

I had to dress Anna for the lower temperatures before allowing her to play outside today. As we sat on the back porch overlooking the backyard, my eyes gaze at the mansion. There was no way anyone, or anything vile could live there.

Anna had her eyes locked on the old-fashioned building, as well. In an almost mesmerizing fashion. She always had a thing for architecture as far back as I can recall.

Turning her attention to the swing set, Anna quickly shifted her attention, her energy clearly evident. No matter the weather, she was always on the move.

"Hey, Anna. Want some hot chocolate?"

"Yeah!" She called back to me.

I smiled and walked back inside, thankful for the briefest moment of warmth as it washed over my senses. Grabbing mugs from the cupboard, my mind begins to wander

What is so special about that damn mansion? It was starting to become annoying, yet I was curious. This curiosity was slowly getting the best of me. Somehow it didn't appear creepy from this angle. How could a beast live within its aging walls?

"Anna, it's ready!" I called out.

No answer.

Anna was gone.

Dropping the mugs I ran into the backyard, searching each nook and cranny, even the playhouse grandpa built for us long ago.

"Anna!" I gasp, heart racing.

Shifting my gaze, I look in the direction of the mansion. One of her hair bows is on the ground.

Not wasting another moment I ran towards the mansion, keeping the stories of the old man at the mansion in mind. Maybe he saw her and could guide me back to her.

Cold iron gates surround the home, an equally cold iron plate stating Someplace Else.

How odd.

I could hear Anna's joyful laugh from within. Oh, thank God! She's safe!

"Again, again!" She laughed merrily. Was that music I also heard among the laughter?

Taking a deep breath, I carefully walk to the slightly open front doors, which lead to a huge ballroom. Musical instruments scattered about. The grand piano was a centerpiece of sorts.

It was a grand sight to behold. Even more so when I catch my sister dancing and laughing with who appeared to be a clown.

On the side was a man, about age 30, with dark wavy locks, ruffled shirt and black slacks with black loafers to match.

Was he the owner of the mansion?

His laughter was like a melody, lighthearted and innocent. How could people label such a warm person? He was treating Anna like one of his own. I had no bad vibes at all.

Yet he seemed insanely familiar.

From a far off place in time. Almost like I knew those deep brown eyes from another time.

The man froze, slowly turning to stare deep into my eyes. I couldn't move, I was in so much trouble.

His dark chocolate eyes slowly shifted to a deep black. Most likely from being startled, or perhaps from anger. And I prayed for being startled

The air grew cold, I shivered and shifted my gaze to Anna. She was still laughing merrily with the clown.

Before I could register anything, he was at my side, staring deep into my soul with narrow eyes. I shivered again, swallowing the lump in my throat. He gazed at me like he knew me, and the familiar longing returned to my heart.

"Who are you and what do you want?" He demanded in a gentle yet stern tone.

"Sorry for intruding, sir. I was just looking for my sister," I replied, nodding towards Anna.

He chuckled, beginning to circle me. Almost vulture-like, but I could somehow sense he wouldn't hurt me.

Before I could register, the raven haired man pulled and twisted his face, gruesome and frightening. Yet all I did was barely jump in response.

"Aren't you scared?" He growled.

"Not really."

This piqued his curiosity, tilting his head slightly with a smirk. "Really? How about this?"

His handsome features contorted into a frightening wolf like beast, fangs dripping with saliva and a hint of what appeared to be blood.

Shaking my head, the man huffed and shifted back to his normal state. "Huh, most would have fled in complete fear by now, what's so special about you?"

He gasped, his gaze softening, it appeared he was astonished about something with me. Did I have something on my face, or what?

"No way, you look just like…" He stammered.

Before I could register anything, a gust of wind and thunder swirled around me, pushing me into the wall.

"It can't be, she's no longer here! How dare you pretend to be her!"

"What are you talking about?!"

He whispered a name that nearly froze my heart with fear.

Marie.

My grandmother's name.

How in the hell did he know her? Mom and dad never mentioned a raven haired man, especially a man of such a young age.

"I know her beautiful eyes anywhere, how dare you imitate my lost love!" His voice roared throughout the ballroom. His hair flickered all about his visage.

Imitate? How can I imitate anyone? Sure we shared similar features, just enough for me to look like when she was younger. How did she know such a young man? There was something in the air aside from the thunder produced from thin air.

He smirked and threw glowing blue orbs of plasma about the ballroom, clearly angered and pissed off. I didn't come here to stir anything up, and he wasn't giving me the time of day to explain myself.

Anna was astounded at the creatures and beings stepping out of the swirling portals of blue. Especially at the clowns, of course. The first that was entertaining her stood before her with the most adorable of dances. Yet when he looked at me, it was the most grotesque of faces!

Damn it all to hell he was insane! How could Anna see through that?

An elegant woman stared me down from behind her tattered veil, twirling and umbrella between elegant, gloved hands.

The man in question slowed his movements, turning to face me as his demonic horde stared me down. This time I felt a terribly cold shiver course down my spine.

"You gotta be scared now." He chuckled low in his throat. "Enough to leave, hmm?"

"Believe it or not, no," is all I could say.

He was quickly at my side, staring into the depths of my soul. His fingers grazed my cheek with a surprisingly warm touch. A sigh escaped his parted lips as they neared my ear.

"Leave. Now."