Chapter Seventeen

.: Maestro's POV :.

Something was definitely in the air. I couldn't shake the feeling of dread and uneasiness that crept its way up and down my spine. The sun was slowly setting beyond the horizon, a chill in the air. I shivered inwardly and gaze up at the moon as it begins to rise.

Night two of this month's full moon.

Another night of dread and heartbreak.

I sighed and reached for my cloak, wrapping it tight about my shoulders in an attempt to find solace and warmth.

My thoughts were fixated on Y/N. As the days and hours slowly tick by, I contemplate going to see her. I was still unsure how she felt after my departure. I was almost certain that I had broken her heart and spirit.

Lowering my gaze I allow a sigh to pass my lips. "I hope she's alright." I whisper, shifting my gaze to her residence.

Something wasn't right, there was an uneasy stir deep inside my heart, and a familiar presence coming to mind, yet I couldn't pinpoint it.

"I need to see her," I whispered as I ran out outside, no fear of being discovered.

I became one with the shadows, and they became part of me. The moonlight cast eerie yet beautiful light upon the meadow and the tree surrounding the manor. I run through the dull grass towards town.

My heart raced within the confines of my chest, nearly ready to burst free of the cage surrounding it. My breath hitched in my throat as it burned against the cool evening air.

Legs unsteady I soon reach the outskirts of town. It was quiet l, unusually quiet. I swallow hard against the lump forming in my throat as I approach the house.

The back door was slightly ajar, and I sucked in a breath.

What's going on?

Setting a hand on the doorknob, I carefully enter the house. It was insanely quiet, it was almost as if Y/N had completely disappeared. I quickly became concerned, and immediately regretted pushing her away.

"Y/N?" I whisper. When there was no reply my heart skipped a beat.

Turning the corner into the living room, I am met with two figures and little Anna. She was holding the doll I gave her as she knelt beside Y/N as she lay on the couch.

"Maestro!" Anna cried happily, running over to hug my waist tightly. "You finally came back!'

I couldn't help but to smile and chuckle, smoothing her curls back and away from her forehead. "Hello sweetheart. I'm so happy to see you."

She moved back to where Y/N was laying. "She's not feeling good." Anna frowned.

I slowly knelt before her still and quiet form, taking note of her peaceful breathing. Reaching over, my fingers tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear. Despite whatever situation this was, she was still breathtakingly beautiful.

"Michael?' A female voice called out to me.

Turning to face the voice, I soon gasp. An immense energy flooded my senses. This woman was different, I could feel she had no intention of hurting anyone. And yet she felt insanely familiar.

"Yes?" I reply, concern evident in my voice.

"Do you remember me?"

"I'm not sure," I raised an eyebrow. "What's going on with Y/N, can you tell me anything?"

She sighed and set a hand upon my shoulder. "It's me, old friend. Elizabeth."

As she pulled back her cloak, I was met with a familiar pair of violet eyes. My dear friend Elizabeth, whom I thought to have been lost to time, was standing before me.

I stood and wrapped her into my embrace, she was like a second mother to me. She always had a kind word for all she knew and spoke to. A woman of spiritual power and endless love. I've known her as far back as I can remember.

"I am so glad you are still with us, Michael." Came the male voice.

Turning to face him, I smiled upon finding John. His broad smile was always kind and welcoming, even now years later.

"John!" I exclaimed. "How in the world?"

Elizabeth pulled back and looked me over. "My oh my, still as handsome as ever."

A flush spread over my cheekbones. "And you are still as beautiful as I remember."

Y/N stirred and whimpered softly, and immediately knelt beside her. "Y/N? Can you hear me?"

She stirred yet did not awaken, soon becoming still once more.

"Michael, she's OK. Just a little overwhelmed."

I raise an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Her system has had quite the shock. But you need not worry." Elizabeth sighed. "We've got something to explain.'

Shifting my gaze back to Y/N, my thumb stroked the back of her hand tenderly. "So long as she is OK, just tell me."

Elizabeth took a deep breath and sighed. "Well, she's more familiar than you realize, my dear."

I blinked and turned to face her. My heart skipped a beat as I awaited the news. Y/N just had to be alright, I wouldn't be able to take it if she was harmed or in any type of danger.

"Michael, she is Marie's reincarnation. "

The world turned upon its ear, and it took a deep breath. My heart nearly stopped. I began to tremble as I turned back to face her.

Now I see clearly, her features became more prominent and familiar. Her long hair flowing to her waist, delicate cheekbones, long eyelashes closed delicately. The silky smooth skin I had always longed to touch.

"Oh, my God." I whispered, reaching to caress her cheek. "Are you serious?"

Elizabeth simply nodded. John nodded in turn. "Yes, she has finally returned to you."

I can't hold back the tears as I wrap her still form within my embrace. Why didn't I see it sooner? I pushed her away, my heart shattered at the fact I was so blind to what was directly in front of me.

"Y/N, please forgive me" I cried out, my tears falling upon her silky hair. My face burning against her shoulder, and I could feel it without restraint now.

Marie's presence could be felt, just like the last day I was with her. Pure and loving, warm and comforting. I sobbed quietly, unable to hold back my emotions. After decades apart she was finally back in my arms.

"God, I've missed you!"

She stirred slightly, her hand trembled as it ran through my hair. "Michael?"

I pulled back to gaze deep into her lovely eyes, the same eyes I fell in love with so long ago.

Not wasting another moment, I bring her closer and press my lips to hers, tasting her tears as they mingled with mine. My precious love had finally found a way to return to me.

My soul rejoiced, my heart shed its icy barrier. I was beginning to feel human again. But how could I explain things further to her without scaring her away?

Our eyes met as we pulled back. She smiled and caressed my cheek, and I held her hand down close. "Y/N, no, my precious Marie."

"You came back." Y/N whispered through her tears.

"No, I was always here. Waiting for you to return." I smiled, before claiming her lips into a kiss once more.