Chapter 60: Pain over Pride

A/N: Vikk and Lachlan :) --->

Chapter sixty: Pain over Pride
It ended with myself, Mitch, Vikk, and Lachlan heading down the trail I generally took through the forest. King trotted happily along the path, his tail switching gently from side to side, and occasionally turning his head gently to look at me. I scratched his ears gently, as I bumped up and down on his back. On the ground beside us, the three guys walked, talking. I paid little attention to their conversation, enjoying the cool breeze and the scenery that I knew by heart.
"Abby!" I snapped my head around suddenly to look at the guys. The three of them were grinning at me.
"Sorry, what?" I smiled. "I was spaced out."
"Figures," chuckled Vikk. "Lachlan says he can run faster than..."
"Hey, that's not true!" Cut in Lachlan, half laughing. "I have a reputation, that doesn't mean I'm physically capable of doing it."
"Doing what?" I smiled in amusement.
"What he's trying to say is he has a reputation for running like a horse, because he was a fast runner," explained Mitch, chuckling.
"Oh," I smiled. "Feel like racing King? He's rearing to go."
"I'll run beside you," shrugged Lachlan. "But don't go too fast." I smiled, and released my hold on King a little. He began to canter forward, and Lachlan jogged on the ground beside us. To his credit, he was fast. I knew my cousins had both inherited a love of athletics from their father, my uncle. However I wasn't going to let him outpace King, even if we were only cantering, so I spurred King into a gallop, and we left Lachlan behind.
"Hey, that's cheating," he laughed, slowing down. I laughed, and pulling King up to a slow paced walk again, I turned to go back to him.
"You're pretty good," I smiled. "Got that from Uncle Jared, didn't you." He nodded, laughing.
"Yeah, my dad was a fast runner too." He turned to look back up the track. "How far behind do you think they are?" I shrugged.
"Who knows... Couple a'hundred metres or so, I guess. We should probably head back." He nodded, and we turned around. "It's suddenly occurred to me that it probably wasn't the brightest idea, leaving those two on their own," I sighed. Lachlan chuckled a little.
"Oh, I think you'll find they're almost ready to forgive each other," he said. I frowned slightly in confusion. Lachlan looked at me, as if waiting for me to realise what he meant. And suddenly I did.
"Oh!" I exclaimed. "It's like that, is it!" He laughed. "Are you happy with that?" I asked.
"More than happy," he smiled. "Vikk's a great guy, and Hannah really likes him too."
"I had a suspicion something was going to happen the first time they met," I laughed. "Guess I was right." We were within sighed of Mitch and Vikk now. They were laughing about something together, but looked up as we approached them. Lachlan looked at me as if to say 'told you so.' I smiled, and looked out to the forest, feeling tears of happiness prick my eyes. I trotted forward on King, leaving the three of them to walk behind me. I began to sing softly under my breath. It was a while since I'd sung aloud, and I missed the feeling.

Do you know what's worth fighting for?
When it's not worth dying for?
Does it take your breath away
And you feel yourself suffocating
Does the pain weigh out the pride
And you look for a place to hide
Did someone break your heart inside
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms
Into the sky
You and I

When you're at the end of the road
And you've lost all sense of control
And your thoughts have taken their toll
When your mind breaks the spirit of your soul
You're faith walks on broken glass
And the hangover doesn't pass
Nothing's ever built to last
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms
Into the sky
You and I

Did you try to live on your own?
When you burned down your house and home
Did you stand too close to the fire
Like a liar looking for forgiveness
From a stone

When it's time to live and let die
And you can't get another try
Something inside this heart has died
You're in ruins

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms
Into the sky
One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms
Into the sky
You and I

As I rode, the cool wind blew my eyes dry, which I was thankful for. I didn't want them to see me cry. I slowed King a little, and waited for them to catch up with me.
"Abby?" Asked Mitch. I raised an eyebrow, and looked at him questioningly. "We owe you a lot for putting up with us." I frowned, smiling slightly.
"Mitch what are you talking about," I smiled, "You don't owe me anything."
"He means for hating each other for so long," elaborated Vikk. "But we're through being stupid now." My smile grew bigger. I pulled King to a halt, and slipped off his back to the ground. Then I pulled both of them into a hug. My eyes met Lachlan's startling blue ones over their shoulders, and he gave me a smile, and mouthed 'finally'. I chuckled, and let them go. Mitch took my hand, and the four of us walked on together, whilst King trotted happily beside me.
It was the most peaceful it had been in four years.

A/N: song is 21 Guns by Green Day