Chapter four: Shari

Chapter 4: Shari

Chapter four: Shari
There was no time to say a goodbye. No opportunity to see anybody for the last time. Aidan and I were whisked straight up into the hovercraft from The Soviet, and there we were trapped, with people we didn't know, headed for a place we'd never been before. I guess you might say I have a little fear of the unknown. They say that what you don't know can't hurt you, but if you know of something's existence, it is much easier to deal with than if you don't.
There was no doubt about the luxury of the hovercraft. We sat in the main room on thick, plush lounges that surrounded the outskirts, whilst the centre was taken over by a large, oak wood table. Much more than was necessary to transport a few tributes plus an official, but The Soviet tended to go a little over the top with everything.
Aidan and I were finally left alone when the over effusive Blanche left us in peace to oversee the lunch preparations. We sat in silence for a while, looking out the windows at
"Are you ok?" He asked me.
"I guess I'll have to be," I smiled weakly.
"What do you mean?" He asked.
"I mean... I need to compose myself, stay strong for my family and friends, and for my country. This whole event is televised, starting from the moment we step off this hovercraft, and they need to know that I'm unbroken." Aidan nodded.
"I understand," he said. "It's going to be hard, but we can battle through with this - show everyone what Australians are made of." I smiled at this.
"I know I don't know you very well at all, but let's stay together through this, and not fight each other."
"Deal," he agreed, nodding.
For the rest of the ride to The Soviet we were silent, preparing ourselves for what was coming. As we reached The Soviet, Blanche began telling us what to do, where to go, and to hold our heads up and be proud that we were chosen to represent our country. All very well for her to say.
We were taken straight to our quarters upon our arrival in the capital city, where the training would take place. As I walked into my bedroom that I would spend the next couple of nights in, I was met with three people.
"Hi, hello, welcome, dear Abby," exclaimed the woman. She had bright red hair, obviously dyed, and was heavily made up. "We are your prep team, we get to make you look beautiful when you're on display! It's so exciting!"
"I'm Daniel, and this is Anna," greeted one of the young men. "And this is Shari, your stylist, who I might add is incredibly talented." The last was said in a hoarse whisper, and Shari smiled.
"It's lovely to meet you Abby." Daniel was short, and blonde haired and blue eyed, whilst Shari was tall, and dark, with more chiseled features. The three spent the next few minutes getting to know me better, and I quickly realised that being a tribute seemed to class me as some kind of celebrity in The Soviet. Out of the three, I liked Shari the best, simply because he could have a normal conversation without getting over excited about absolutely everything, as everyone else I had met from The Soviet seemed to do. Anna and Daniel weren't too bad, and I tolerated them because I could see that they genuinely cared about me. However, I knew I wouldn't last very long in their company without something giving way, so I moved their conversation from the lifestyle of Australia to what exactly they would be doing to me.
"Ah, now for the exciting part," smiled Daniel excitedly. "Come with us, and we will show you."

It turned out that the tributes were to be paraded in the horse drawn chariots through the capital city of The Soviet the same evening. Shari consulted Libby, Aidan's stylist, for how they should dress the two tributes from Australia.
"It's simple, farm clothes like they'd normally wear," she said straight away. "We have to reflect their country and what they do there, so let's go with that."
"I don't know that farm clothes will get them too many sponsors, which is the aim of the parade tonight," replied Shari. "Would you agree to perhaps, a cowboy/cowgirl style? It might suit them better."
"Ah, yes, that would work well," agreed Libby. "Let's go with that."
Aidan and I had listened to this discourse from the other side of the room. When Shari took me to another room to be fitted for the new outfit, I asked a question.
"I don't suppose we'll be allowed to ride the chariot horses?" Shari looked at me, and frowned.
"I don't know... can you? Bareback?"
"I can ride standing, I can ride sitting... It doesn't matter." Shari raised an eyebrow.
"That would be impressive. I..I would assume that it's not against the rules. I guess there's no harm in trying now, is there?"
"Nope," I smiled.
"Alright then cowgirl, Horse riding it is. I hope you're good." My only answer to that was a snort. Shari chuckled, and continued with the fitting.
Later, Aidan and I stood waiting in the lobby, dressed in our outfits. I had to admit, Shari's work was pretty impressive. A tight, dark coloured hooded jacket adorned our upper bodies - worn with the hood up, typical of Australia. Dark brown tight jeans disappeared into brown cowboy boots, and makeup transformed our faces with war paint.
"You do realise that we don't wear war paint to bring the cows in, right?" I asked Shari.
"Of course I do, but most people here are pretty dim witted. Just go with it. Oh and here, this is the final touch." He handed me a spear.
"What's this for?" I asked, my hand automatically going to the blade to test it's capabilities, the way I did with my throwing knives. "It's blunt. This is pointless."
"Looks fairly pointy to me," Shari smirked. "And of course it's blunt. We wouldn't want you assassinating anybody now, would we? It's just for decoration. But feel free to look threatening with it. You're a warrior, remember that." I nodded briefly. "Don't fall on me now, cowgirl."
"I won't."