Chapter 1: Little Hernandez

Chapter one: Little Hernandez
Out of all the things I could have been worrying about, the thing that lay most heavily upon my mind was a decision I would have to make three years later. It was the one thing preventing me from really enjoying my ride over the green hills I called home. The reason I went out there in the first place was to clear my mind, and get the cobwebs out of my head, but today it didn't seem to be working. On a normal day, the rush of the wind through my long blonde hair, the comforting rhythm of the horse's gallop, and the adrenaline from the hunt was enough to make me feel better again. Today was not a normal day. Today would decide whether I would even be alive in three years time.
I readied a knife in the palm of my hand, my keen eyes examining every piece of ground for my target. I felt the sharp blade press against my skin just enough to cut it slightly. I smiled, and gripped the blunt handle before it could do any more damage. Throwing knives were my favourite weapon.
I sighted a movement ahead, and taking careful aim, threw the knife. Time seemed to slow down as I watched the glint of the silver blade flying through the air, piercing and killing the lop with one strike. Time resumed it's normal pace, as the birds in the neighbouring scrub scattered in confusion. Apparently disturbances of this kind were not common on a morning in late September, the depths of a peaceful Australian springtime. I slowed my mount to a standstill, and slid from his back, scratching him affectionately behind the ears. King had been a faithful horse for many years now, and he knew my hunting techniques by heart.
I foraged for a moment before I came across the rabbit. It was a prefect kill, straight to the heart. I removed the knife, and wiped the blade clean before returning it to my pouch. I stopped the flow of blood and put the kill in my pack. Rabbit meat was a treat when I could bring it home - at least, it was a change from beef and lamb.
"I'm gonna be late now, should probably head home," I sighed, turning to look at King. He offered no response, but continued to graze. I rubbed his nose, and he blew in my face, causing me to sneeze, and giggle. The chestnut stallion almost seemed to be laughing at me.
"Come on," I said laughing, and mounted him again.

As predicted, I was late. After stabling King, I ran all the way home to discover my mother waiting for me on the front porch.
"Your bag's in the car, freshen up and come, you're late." I nodded, and dashed inside to my bedroom, before stripping off my usual attire I wore around our horse ranch, and throwing on my work out outfit. I splashed water on my face and scrubbed my hands, before stopping by the kitchen. My elder sister was there. I dumped my hunting bag on the table.
"Em can you deal with my pack, I got a rabbit today."
"Sure, just get that dirty thing off my kitchen table. This isn't a fish cleaning station." I chuckled, and dragged the pack onto the floor.
"Thanks, I'll see ya later."
"I can do the knives whilst I'm at it if you want," she called after me.
"Nah that's fine, I can do it when I get home." I knew Em had her work cut out in the kitchen today, and there was no reason for me to add to it.
"Ok. Bye Little Hernandez." I winced. She called me that because I looked like dad.
"Bye Em."
I dashed down the front porch again to find my mother waiting patiently in the car for me. I ran over and jumped in the passenger seat. She started the ignition, and soon we were on the road.
"Thanks for grabbing my stuff mum," I said, turning to look at her.
"No problem, aren't we all here to support each other?" she smiled, not taking her eyes off the road. "And I knew you needed time to think. Come to any conclusions?" I sighed, and looked out to the green hills which were swiftly becoming flat plains and buildings.
"Not yet. They're both great options. Staying here, with what I know and love is so comforting, and I love my life here, as much as we can in the circumstances-"
"Abby..." Warned my mother. I sighed.
"Sorry. But then following my dream in Canada would be exciting, amazing, and I would always be doing what I love. I would never see anyone here again, but then I would meet new people." I sighed again. "It's just so hard to decide."
"Don't stress about it, you don't have to make the decision until you're twenty. Just focus on your gym today, how about that? You've still got three years to decide."
"Not if I get chosen tomorrow," I muttered.
"Abby nothing will happen to you. Just concentrate on your gymnastics, if you don't make the grade you're not going to Canada anyway. You'd never make it past the initiation."
"I'll try and focus," I agreed, as we pulled into the car park outside the gymnasium. I leaned over to kiss my mother on the cheek.
"Thanks mum."
"You know I'll support you in whatever you decide," she smiled. She took my hand, and studied my features. "You're exactly like your father. Determined, but indecisive."
"Mum..." It hurt me to talk about him, but unfortunately, my mere presence in the family was a constant reminder of him to Emily and my mother. I looked like him, which had earned me the nickname 'Little Hernandez.'
My mother sighed, and brought out the smile again.
"I'm sorry. Go on, have fun today."
"I will," I smiled, before leaving the car, closing the door behind me. The car pulled away, and I headed for the building with a smile plastered on my face and determination stirring inside of me.