Confessions

Though I am proud of myself for standing up to my parents, last night, I couldn't find enough peace to sleep. I had a nagging itch at the back of my mind that made me worry, like I did something wrong, and I still do. I think I feel guilty for getting Lo'ak into this- I mean now that my parents now, they might treat him differently and he already goes through that enough.

On the way to my spot, I spot a familiar figure sitting along the shore that is none other than Lo'ak. Great, I sigh. I have to tell him what I've done.

Slowly, I make my way over to Lo'ak before sitting down beside him. "Hi," I begin, softly. I notice him begin to stand. "Please don't walk away. I need to tell you something."

Lo'ak remains seated, but I can tell he isn't happy about it as he lets out a huff. "You said enough yesterday." He doesn't bother to look at me.

"Lo'ak, I didn't mean that. I was stressed." I explain before shaking my head. "That's not entirely what I came to talk to you about though." Lo'ak only shrugs, waiting for me to continue, so I do. "After our miscommunication out in the reef, my parents found out about the shell you gave me... and they know that it was you who gave it to me." Lo'ak now looks at me as I explain. "At first they didn't approve- as I had said they would- but now they are saying if you prove yourself as a warrior... they may allow whatever is going on between us." I say, unsure of how Lo'ak still feels about him.

He remains silent for a moment, trying to comprehend everything I've just told him. "So I have to become a warrior for your parents to like me?" Lo'ak searches for clarification, a tone of annoyance in his voice.

"Basically." I shrug and suddenly feel guilty. I look towards the water and pull my knees to my chest, hugging them tightly. "You can walk away now, if you still want to. I get it if you don't forgive me and don't want to be in a relationship -or whatever we had- with me anymore. I can't blame you for wanting to take the easy way out. My parents want me to be betrothed to Koah by my next birthday anyways."

"Betrothed!" Lo'ak exclaims. "To- Who?"

I almost laugh at his response. "Koah. He is a warrior, and apparently a great one if my parents want me with him."

"You can't get engaged!" Lo'ak protests and I turn to look at him.

I shake my head, "Trust me, I don't want to either."

"What are you gonna do?" Lo'ak asks, like he's forgotten that he was mad at me. He has a truly concerned look on his face.

"You are kind of my only way out of it." I shrug, but then quickly add, "I hope I'm not making you guilty! The decision is yours and I don't want to influence it."

"Tsaeyla, of course you are going to influence it!" Lo'ak lets out a chuckle, but he isn't amused by something funny, it's more of a 'I can't believe this' type of exasperated laugh.

"What?"

"I'm not just going to watch the girl..." Lo'ak trails off, unsure if he should finish his sentence. "The girl I love get married to another!" Lo'ak reaches over and takes my hand in his. "If I have to become a warrior to prove myself to your parents, I will."

I let a small smile appear on my lips. Lo'ak and I sit in silence for a moment before I begin speaking again. "I never meant what I said out in the reef." I shake my head, sighing slightly. "You mean so much more to me." I tell him. Lo'ak looks at me, his gaze soft, and I can tell he knows. "Nga yawne lu oer." I move closer to Lo'ak before placing a kiss on his lips. 

word count: 678