Realizations

Walking along the beach, I kick the sand in frustration, letting out all my built up anger from the day's events. Lessons, early this morning, already started out bad. I was tired and my mother- for whatever reason- found it absolutely unacceptable causing us to bicker for most of the lesson. Once it was over, I practically stormed off- something I'm now realizing was very immature of me. It wasn't long until my father found me, sending me to our Marui, telling me to stay there and wait for him and my mother. Though I was unsure of the reason why, I obeyed my father, no longer wanting to disappoint a parent. The rest is history. Lo'ak gets in trouble and so do I and my siblings. The day is just the definition of a bad day! However, to my siblings, they seemed to get over it much quicker than me.

"I know something you don't know!" Aonung teases, running up from behind me and then continues on by.

"Tell me this second!" I demand, catching up to my brother as he looks around suspiciously.

"Oh, dear sister, I'm not sure if I should tell you." Aonung chuckles mischievously, wanting to keep me on my toes.

I slap him over the head, "Aonung, if you weren't going to tell me, why bother coming here!" I watch as my brother smirks slightly and I push him slightly. "Aonung! You know that you want to tell!"

"I've heard that a certain Sully boy has the hots for you." Aonung tells me in a mischievous manner before continuing to walk casually.

I push my brother again, "Who?" Is it true that everyone has noticed this except me?

"His name starts with N and ends with M." Aonung hints.

I gasp, "Neteyam!"

"Yes! Isn't it romantic!" Aonung jokes, before beginning to skip for a moment.

"No! It's horrid!"

"I thought you'd be pleased." Aonung says, his voice lowering in confusion.

"Well..." I trail off for a moment. "How is it everyone has noticed this but me! Neteyam and I are just friends!"

Aonung laughs, "Please, it's obvious he's trying to sweep you off your feet!"

"Oh really?" I scoff, "Not to me." Before Aonung can say anything more, I turn to push him one last time. He tips over, hopping in the water for a moment before turning and walking the other direction casually. I'm not looking to talk about this with him any longer.

It's impossible... I think to myself. Neteyam.. Likes me? My heart starts to beat a bit faster now. I think back to our moments alone on the beach or in the water. He would ask, 'Do you want to do something with me?' And the time we were stargazing, when I would turn over to look at him and there he was, his yellow eyes already looking back at my blue ones. How did I miss it!

'And what've you?' I hear his voice in my head. What do I think of him? I'm not sure. Do I like him back? Or do I just feel like I have to because I don't want to break his heart? I'll admit, What's not to like about Neteyam... but I've only ever seen him as a friend.

Maybe I do like him. He's my age, tall, kind, funny, strong, brave, and outspoken. And, oh, his smile and the way his eyes light up when he does. He has an impulsive and brash attitude at times, but has the heart the size of a lake to make up for it. He has five fingers, different compared to many others. And even though I've wronged him, he still chooses to forgive me. He gives out the kindness he never got.

I realize. I'm no longer talking about Neteyam.

word count: 674

a.n: if you are cool enough (I'm saying this jokingly, pls don't kill me), you'll see I added a little reference/ pulled inspiration from a different movie for this scene! Tell me if you get it! 😉 😆