Complications

Lo'ak notices my sudden expression change and his face drops, his smile fading. He grabs me by the hand before beginning to swim upward, towards the surface, bringing me with him.

"What is it?" He asks, a concerned tone in his voice. Lo'ak places a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I-Is this moving too quick? Or do you not feel the same way! I'm sorry if I overstepped!" Lo'ak starts to rant as panic begins to set in.

"No!" I place my hand atop his. "No, I do... feel the same way." My panic fades away for a moment, replaced by the feeling of love. Lo'ak seems to forget his worries too as his gaze softens at my words. I feel my face heat up with blush, but my panic returns quickly. "It's just that... my mother would never allow this to happen!"

"Tsaeyla-"

I cut him off. Now I'm the one ranting due to my panic. "-I'm expected to marry a warrior- a Metkayina warrior at that! Not a forest boy with zero achievements!" The words slip out of my mouth before I have time to even think about them.

"Wow..." Lo'ak trails off and removes his hand from my shoulder, a hurt expression on his face.

"Lo'ak, I didn't mean it-"

"-Is that how you think of me?" His eyebrows furrow, conflicted. "A forest boy with zero achievements?"

"No, Lo'ak... It just slipped out." I shake my head and reach out to grab his hand, but he pulls it away.

"Just slipped out? Yeah, well where did it come from?" Lo'ak asks, becoming angry. "It didn't just come out of nowhere. You've thought about it!"

"No, Lo'ak-"

"-No!" Lo'ak distances himself from me before calling for an Ilu. "No." He shakes his head. An Ilu is at his side in seconds and Lo'ak quickly mounts it before swimming away on it.

What've I done?

word count: 348

a.n: ahhhh I haven't posted in forever!! Sorry! So for all the days I missed (5) I'm updated with that amount! Yayyyy!!! Who doesn't love a good 5 chapter update?