Pointless Fights

"So," Neteyam starts, as we walk along the beach together. "Even though you are second born, and Aonung is older... you are first in line as the heir because you are the first born girl?" Neteyam asks, confusedly, looking for clarification. I just give him a small nod and he shakes his head in disbelief. "That's not how it works with the Omaticaya tribe."

"Do you wish it was?" I ask him, looking at the sand. Neteyam and I have become close friends over the past weeks, through training and what not. Neteyam and I relate on a certain level, so we created a close bond quickly. We both know what it's like having the pressure of our family on us constantly.

Neteyam thinks for a moment, "I guess so. I think Kiri could've done great things for the tribe, but I also think she struggles enough.. Being a bit different and all. So I would never wish for her to be in a stressful situation like that."

"You are a good brother, Neteyam." I tell him. "You always put yourself first. That's very honorable of you."

Neteyam shakes his head, "You don't have to do that."

"Do what?"

"Act like tsahík- all proper. It's just me. It's okay to act your age."

"I was just telling the truth." I shrug in defense. "Just take the compliment, Skxawng." I say, playfully bumping into the forest Na'vi.

Neteyam chuckles, "That's more like it." He places a hand on my shoulder. "Do you want to do something later?" Neteyam suddenly asks me and I look up at him.

"Like what? We are doing something right now." I joke, though I am truly curious to hear Neteyam's elaboration.

He opens his mouth to say something, but before he can, he spots something in the distance, causing his ears to lower in anger. I follow his gaze and see Aonung and his friends laughing at Kiri and Lo'ak. What are they doing now? I shake my head in annoyance. Neteyam begins walking angrily towards the group before pushing Aonung back, away from Lo'ak.

"You heard her. Leave them alone." Neteyam says in a stern voice, pointing a finger at my older brother. I make my way next to Kiri.

Nawtu, a friend of my brothers, begins to speak. "Oh, Big brother coming to-" Aonung puts a hand up, signaling his friend to stop talking.

"Back off. Now." Neteyam tells Aonung through gritted teeth. Aonung only smirks for a moment before putting his hands up in defeat. "Smart choice. And from now on, I need you to respect my sister."

Nawtu growls, and I roll my eyes before making my way towards my brother. I give Neteyam a look, as if saying 'We'll continue our conversation soon'', and he nods, walking away with his siblings. "Aonung, what were you doing!" I scolded my brother.

"They're all freaks. The whole family." Aonung says rudely, talking to his friends and ignoring me. They all laugh, amused by their own cruelty.

"Aonung!" I hit him on the shoulder before his attention is pulled elsewhere. I turn around and notice the youngest Sully brother walking back in our direction.

"I know this hand is funny." Lo'ak says, holding his hand up for us all to see. He puts his extra finger up, wiggling it. "Look, I'm a freak, kewong (alien), but it can do something really cool. First up, I put my hand into a fist, really tight, like this?" He begins demonstrating something, and Aonung and his friends watch intently. "K, then.." Lo'ak trails off before punching my brother in the face. I move out of the way, quickly, out of shock and for my own safety. Lo'ak goes in for two more punches, sending Aonung backwards. "It's called a punch, bitch! Don't ever touch my sister again."

Aonung regains his footing while his friends hiss at the forest boy. Aonung goes running towards Lo'ak, tackling him to the ground. Lo'ak pushes my brother from off of him before punching him once again. From behind, my brother's friends grab Lo'ak by his tail, pulling him off my brother. Nawtu spins before slapping Lo'ak with his tail and letting out a chuckle afterwards. Neteyam makes his way towards the group, before grabbing hold of one of Aonung's friends and punching him. Nawtu makes his way towards the older brother before getting kicked in the stomach.

"Stop it!" Kiri yells at the group. "So stupid!"

"Ow! My tail!" I hear Lo'ak yell in pain, and I can't help but let out a chuckle. Not at Lo'ak in particular, but at the whole group in general, acting like children.

"My ear!" Nawtu screams. "Let go!" I look up from the boys and over at Kiri who is also laughing, amused by the pointless fighting. "He's got my ear!" Nawtu continues to cry out.

Eventually, it seems as if the fight would never stop unless someone did something about it. So putting on my best Tsahík voice, I shout at the boys. "Enough!" The boys freeze in their ridiculous fighting positions. Neteyam hovered over one of Aonung's friends, his fist frozen in the air, pulled back ready to go in for a punch. Nawtu is on the floor. And Aonung and his other friends are surrounding Lo'ak on the ground. "This is pointless."

"What's going on here?" The familiar voice of my father suddenly comes from behind me. Perfect timing, Ma Sempul (Father).

word count: 913