Trust

"I wish I'd been there." Kiri tells Lo'ak in awe. "The Ocean blessed you with a gift, brother." She nods, a smile on her face. The Sully siblings, mine, and Rotxo, all gathered in a circle, listening to Lo'ak's story. He was explaining how he met a Tulkun out at sea yesterday, and if it weren't for the magnificent creature, Lo'ak probably never would have returned to the reef, but something didn't add up.

"The Tulun have not returned yet, and anyways, no Tulkun is ever alone." Aonung states, looking at Lo'ak. He crouches down, moving in closer towards the group, and away from the tree he had been leaning against.

"This one was." Lo'ak shrugs. "He had a-a missing fine. Like a stump on the left side." Lo'ak describes the creature while gesturing to his own left arm. It takes me a moment before my eyes widen a bit, but I compose myself again.

"Paykan." I say and all eyes are on me. "It was Payakan." I repeat, looking towards my siblings.

"Who is Payakan?" Kiri asks curiously, looking at me then to my siblings, as if searching for the answer on our faces.

"A young Tulkun who went rogue. He is outcast, alone, and has a missing fin." Rotxo answers, saying it like he was reciting it from a school lesson.

"They say he is a killer." Tsireya looks towards Lo'ak, a worried tone in her voice and look on her face.

"No." Lo'ak denies it.

"He killed Na'vi and other Tulkuns. Not here, but far to the south." Aonung adds.

"No, he's no killer." Lo'ak shakes his head, not willing to accept what he's been told.

"Lo'ak, you are lucky to be alive." Tsireya tells him honestly, putting a hand out, resting it on his.

Lo'ak continues, "I'm telling you guys, he saved my life. He is my friend-"

"-My baby bro.." Neteyam starts, standing up to move behind his brother. "The mighty warrior who faced the killer Tulkun and survived." Neteyam jokes, putting his hands on Lo'ak shoulders, shaking him playfully.

Lo'ak shrugs his brother's hands from off of him. "You guys aren't listening!" Lo'ak shakes his head, and gets up angrily. He looks at us all for a moment before walking off.

"No, Lo'ak! I'm listening!" Tuk calls out for her brother from behind me, but he doesn't respond, he only keeps walking.

"Lo'ak, come back!" Kiri calls for Lo'ak, but again, no response. I see Neteyam shake his head, unimpressed by his brother's attitude.

"You skxawng." I roll my eyes at Neteyam before getting up, walking right past the older brother, and following Lo'ak.

"Wait, Tsaeyla!" I hear Neteyam call out to me, but I take a page out of Lo'ak's book and keep walking. The younger Sully brother walks into the water, unaware that I am following him before calling his Ilu. I let him go out into the water before I do the same.

"Payakan!" I hear Lo'ak begin to shout once we are past the reef, looking for the Tulkun. A sudden sense of worry washes over me and I panic. If the Tulkun is Payakan, Lo'ak and I could be in big trouble now.

"Lo'ak! What are you doing?" I ask him, the sound of worry clear in my voice. The forest Na'vi looks back at me, shocked by my presence.

"I'm looking for Payakan. What are you doing here?" He answers and asks me the same question. I catch up to Lo'ak on my Ilu and we are now side by side in the water. "If Neteyam sent you or something, I-I don't need a babysitter!"

"I know." I nod at the boy. "I trust you, but I can't just watch you put yourself in danger to try and prove a point."

"I know you guys believe Paykan is a killer, but he isn't! He's my friend- You just said you trust me! Now trust me with this!"

The boy makes a good point. I'm silent for a moment before replying, "Okay, I trust you." 

word count: 677