Mix of Emotions

It had been a few hours since Lo'ak and I left the reef to find Payakan. I've learned many things about Lo'ak and Payakan. Things I never would have thought to be true. For one, Payakan is not at all what the story's say. He has a kind heart and, from what I can tell, cares for Lo'ak a lot. They have a special bond, like brothers.

I've also learned things about Lo'ak. I haven't taken the time to get to know the younger Sully brother ever since the family arrived on Awa'atlu, and I regret it. The only reason I was avoiding a relationship with Lo'ak was because of his five fingers. Fingers for Eywa's sake! I was taught he had demon blood, and immediately thought he was bad news. I was wrong. He is funny, kind, and cares for others deeply- Like his family or Payakan.

"Lo'ak, I think it's time for us to head back." I tell Lo'ak while sitting on top of Payakan, just beside his right fin. "It's almost Eclipse."

The forest Na'vi sighs. "You're right." Lo'ak nods disappointedly before asking Payakan to turn around and take us back to the reef. The Tulkun lets out a moan sound before changing his swimming direction.

Lo'ak sits beside me. "You know, you didn't have to stay here with me the whole time... but I appreciate it." He gives me a soft smile before looking towards the water.

"Well, I didn't intend on staying this long." I tell Lo'ak honestly and he looks back over at me. "But something changed my mind." I shrug. "I'm glad I stayed."

"W-What changed your mind?"

"Well, my whole life I've been taught one thing and I needed to decide for myself whether it was true or not."

"About... Payakan?" Lo'ak looks for clarification, and his eyes wander along my face, almost searching for the written answer there.

I hesitate, "Partly." I mumble though I'm telling him the truth.

He gives me a confused look, "What do you mean?"

I scoot closer to the forest boy and take his hand, hoping I can somehow comfort him while I tell him my brutal truth. "From a young age I was taught to avoid anyone with.. Demon blood," I tell Lo'ak and watch his expression soften into a sad expression. "That's what I did for a while, but It never sat right with me. So.. I suppose I came here to get closer and see who you really are." My mother has always taught me that Tsahik never lies, which is the right thing to do, but... sometimes it's hard.

"And now? What do you think of me..." He trails off, his voice laced with sadness. "Am I still different? An outcast?"

"No!" I answer quickly. "I regret ever thinking wrong of you Lo'ak. It never felt right. I'm sorry." I feel my own eyes becoming wet with tears. "I truly, truly, am sorry. I'm still learning. I-I hope we can move on from this.. And find a way to be true friends." I look down at Lo'ak's hand that I am still holding on to.

"I-I'd like that."

***

The next morning, my mother woke me up earlier than usual. Last night, there was an issue with Kiri at the Tree of Souls. She was linked to it when she had some kind of seizure. Now she hasn't woken up. Since my mother is Tsahik, and I'm in training, we both went over to the Sully's Marui to try and heal Kiri. Wake her up from whatever issue occurred at the spirit tree.

Walking up to the entrance of the Marui, there are strange nicknacks hanging outside, bunched around the walkways. My mother and I follow the strange things inside and notice that they all connect to Kiri who is asleep on the ground. Neteyam, Tuk, and Lo'ak all waited outside the Marui while Jake Sully and Neytiri were on the inside.. Along with another Avatar- as I learned that's what Lo'ak calls the Na'vi with demon.. I mean human DNA. Speaking of humans, there was also one inside the Marui, some type of mask on his face.

"I see I am not needed here." My mother says coldly, looking around at the weird contraptions.

"No!" Neytiri stops my mother and I from leaving. "You are Tsahik!" Neytiri pleads before turning to the strange visitors. "Out! You have done nothing!" She yells at them.

"Come on, let's take a break." Jake Sully gets his friends to get up, remove their tools and leave. Neytiri continues to rush the men.

"Hold on, I have to take her IV out!" The avatar says in an almost panicked voice before pulling a small needle out of Kiri's arm and walking away with it.

My mother sets up all her stuff while I stand close to her side, ready to hand her anything she needs. "Tsaeyla." She says, handing me a bottle of incense before beginning to work with Kiri. Using a thin needle, my mother pokes Kiri in various places. She then listens to Kiri's heartbeat before placing her hands on young Na'vi's stomach and breathing into her hands. It's how we release whatever negative energy is stuck inside. The tsahik raises her hands towards the air and blows outward. After repeating the steps a few more times, Kiri slowly opens her eyes.

"Kiri," Her mother breathes out a sigh of relief and I do the same.

"You are awake!" Tuk smiles innocently at her older sister.

"Kiri, my sweet child." Neytiri cries softly, grabbing her daughter's hand. Kiri looks up at her mother before beginning to let out a sob. "Oh, my sweet little girl." Neytiri leans down, hugging her crying daughter.

"Our work here is done." My mother turns to me and nods her head, signaling our leave. I let Jake pass me, entering the Marui, before I guide my mother and I out. The Sullys need their privacy.

***

Standing in the water, I smile softly looking down at my playful Ilu who is underneath my hand, allowing me to pet her. "Settle down, Nettie." I tell her. She lets out a yip before diving underwater and swimming around.

"Tsaeyla." Neteyam calls out from behind me. I turn to face him and I am greeted with his comforting smile.

"Hello, Neteyam." I say before looking back at the water, watching my Ilu swim around. "How are you? How's your family doing?"

"Better. Kiri is still a little out of it, but she's getting better." Neteyam informs me. "And you? How are you feeling?"

I shrug, "A mix of emotions." I turn to face the eldest Sully child. "I'm relieved that Kiri is okay, but a little disappointed in myself."

"Why?" Neteyam asks curiously.

"I don't know." I lie and look up at the sky. I know exactly why. Though Lo'ak and I are on good terms, I still feel guilty I ever treated him differently.

"Can I.. help in any way?" Neteyam asks, inching closer and placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Maybe we can go back to your spot in the field. It's almost dark out, so we could watch the stars again." Neteyam suggests and I look over at him, a small smile on my face.

"Maybe another time Neteyam." I tell him, lifting my hand to his on my shoulder. I remove his hand from my shoulder before holding it in mine for a moment. "I think I'm just going to leave for my Marui early tonight."

Neteyam's face drops a bit in disappointment. "Alright. Another time then." 

word count: 1268