Tulkun Return

Wrapping up my bedding from last night's rest, I am alone in the Marui, leaving me and my thoughts to wander alone. Aonung and my father must've left for a hunt already, while my mother is off dealing with her Tsahik business, as usual. Tsireya on the other hand, she could be anywhere- probably with some friends.

I begin the hear commotion outside the Marui, my ears perk up at the sound of it. I am confused for a moment before an idea suddenly pops in my head. Could it be... I make my way to the entrance of the Marui and look out to the water. The Tulkun! They've returned!

Quickly, I call for Nettie and she arrives almost as fast as I call for her. I hop into the water before getting on top of the Ilu and we are off. I swim around the village and call out. "The Tulkun have returned!" I shout out to anyone who doesn't know. "Everybody! Our brothers and sisters have returned!" I find myself swimming by the Sully's Marui. They are all standing around, watching confusedly. "It's the Tulkun!" I tell them, excitedly. "Come, you must meet them!"

Neteyam and Lo'ak are the first to move, hopping into the water. Neteyam's Ilu rushes to his side and Neteyam mounts the creature, ready to follow me. "Lo'ak," I call for the younger Sully brother who is still treading water. "Ride with me." I wave him over, remembering his Ilu had run away that time he was alone outside the reef. Lo'ak swims over before getting on to my Ilu, sitting behind me. Once he is ready, I lead the Sully brothers out towards the Tulkun. The rest of their family is close behind. "Look! It's my spirit sister!" I point to a familiar Tulkun who looks at me happily. I signal Nettie to swim faster towards my spirit sister, and she does happily. "Hold your breath!" I quickly warn Lo'ak. He quickly places an arm around my waist, hanging on, before we immerse underwater.

Still moving quickly, Nettie guides Lo'ak and I swiftly under the water, passing the other excited Metkayina and Tulkun. Everyone smiles excitedly- even my mother, which is something I don't see a lot. The children play, holding onto a Tulkun's fin as it swims around, or swimming through the bubble rings the Tulkun makes. FInally, we arrive beside my spirit sister and I dismount Nettie, though Lo'ak stays on.

"Sílani, I see you." I smile at the Tulkun, signing her name. "I've missed you so much!"

"I see you, sister. I've missed you as well." The Tulkun replies. "How have you been?"

"Good! How are you?"

"Wonderful! Thank you!"

Looking behind me, I look for Lo'ak, but he's no longer there, so I look up towards the surface and there he is, looking back at me. I smile up at him before waving him over. "Come over here." I sign to him before turning back towards Sílani. "I want you to meet a friend of mine."

"A boy?" Sílani asks me, almost surprised.

I give her a look. "Yes. A boy." I answer obviously and Lo'ak is soon by my side. "Sílani, this is Lo'ak. He and his family are from the forest." I inform the Tulkun before turning to the Sully brother. "Lo'ak, this is Sílani. She is my spirit sister." I introduce the two.

"It's good to meet you, Sílani." Lo'ak says kindly.

"You as well." Sílani replies. I move my hands to say something else before Aonung, on his Ilu, suddenly swims in front of Lo'ak and I quickly.

"Hello, Sílani. I see you." Aonung greets my spirit sister respectfully. "I see you have met Sílani's boyfriend." Aonung says playfully and I blush in embarrassment.

I hit Aonung over the head. "He is not my boyfriend!"

Aonung chuckles slightly. "Whatever you say." He replies mischievously before quickly swimming away. I roll my eyes before looking back at Lo'ak who is smiling slightly. His older brother is now at his side.

"Sílani, this is Neteyam. A friend of mine, and Lo'ak's brother." I introduce my spirit sister to the other forest Na'vi. Neteyam waves from his spot, sending my spirit sister a small smile before turning to Lo'ak and signing something. Lo'ak only nods before they both swim up towards the surface. I'm not sure where they are going, but it doesn't really bother me.

Sílani and I trade stories of what we did while we were apart. I tell her the story of the Sully family and why they are here, and a few stories of training with my mother. Sílani is the only one I can really complain to about my mother. I know she won't tell, and the other way around. If she has a secret, she tells me, she trusts me and I trust her.

Sílani tells me a story about a strange interaction she had with an Akula. In contrast to the Akula's natural behavior, she claims this one was friendly. She is sure it was a full grown adult, and even still it had no hostile behaviors around her and the other Tulkun. Instead it was playful. Truly interesting.

After sharing many stories, Sílani tells me it's time for fun. I swim closer towards her, grabbing onto her fin before she starts swimming at a medium pace, wary of the other swimmers. Sílani swims almost around the whole reef, eventually making a path outside the pack of Tulkun and Na'vi and into the more spacious areas of the water. Sílani eventually stops, beginning a conversation again.

"Tell me something about those boys."

I'm not sure what she means. "I already have." I shrug. "I've said, they are from the forest and they are my friends."

Sílani continues and clarifies, "Yes, but there is clearly something going on with you and one of them. Which, I am not sure."

"I don't think I know what you mean. There is nothing going on between any of us." I tell her confusedly before looking around, making sure none of the Sully's are anywhere nearby.

"Are you certain? One of them looks at you a certain way."

I feel my heart speed up a bit, shocked at the news. Have I been blind? Have I been missing the look of love in the eyes of- "Wait, which brother?" I ask Sílani.

"I do not remember who is who."

word count: 1073