Broken Promises

While taking charge in the village for my parents during their absence, I didn't have to take care of any serious causes, thank goodness. The worst I had to face were a few upset and scared children who missed their parents. It was easy to help them find comfort, but I can't say the same for me. Though I was composed on the outside, on the inside, I was a mess. I felt like crying or leaving the reef and helping the warriors fight those demons who took my friends. Lo'ak, Kiri, Tsireya, and Neteyam! I prayed to Eywa every free moment I had, that they would all return safely. I hadn't even seen Neteyam since he left Payakan with the tracker. The whole night I awaited his return, getting ready to punch him in the shoulder, call him 'skxawng' before just pulling him into a hug. If only he knew how much of a nervous wreck his disappearance made me.

When the warriors returned, I ran full speed towards my sister, thankful to see her safe.

"Oh, thank Eywa you are alright!" I pull Tsireya in a tight hug. "Are you hurt?" I ask her, pulling away for a moment examining her body before pulling her back into my embrace.

My sister responds, "I'm alright, Tsaeyla." Tsireya lets out a shaky breath. Behind her, I see Lo'ak. His father is close behind with Tuk on his Skimwing with him, and Kiri on her Ilu, a human boy sitting behind her.

"Lo'ak!" I call out, in relief, before moving towards him quickly. He has a few cuts and bruises and a sad look on his face, but when he sees me, his eyes light up just a bit. I wrap my arms around him and he hugs me back immediately. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah... yeah, I'm alright." Lo'ak replies. The hug lasts a while, neither of us ever wanting to let go. Many things happen around us that I pay no attention to, much like the sound of an Ikran cry from beside us as it lands on the ground, but It doesn't phase me. I know it's Neytiri. When I was younger, my mother told me to never let go of the hug first, for you never know how much the other person really needs it. I took that to heart. So now, Lo'ak and I stay in a hug, for who knows how long. I can tell he really needs it and I'm okay with that. "Where is Neteyam?" I suddenly ask, realizing I still hadn't spotted the older brother or heard his voice.

I feel Lo'ak's breath hitch before he slowly begins pulling away.

My breathing now begins to speed up. "Lo'ak?" My gaze becomes more serious as I look at the younger Sully brother who hasn't answered. My ears twitch and tears begin to gather in my eyes as I start to worry. Lo'ak looks to his right, over to his mother that had landed with her Ikran only moments before. I follow the Sully boys' gaze.

First, I see Neytiri, her Ikran has already flown away, but when I slowly look towards the ground... It's a body. Neteyam's body. He's wrapped in a shawl, most likely covering whatever wound he had- though there is a small stain of blood on the front of it.

I choke out a sob as I move closer to the lifeless body of a Na'vi I used to call my best friend. "No. No. No." I shake my head in denial as I try to keep my tears from falling. This can't be happening! "No, he promised he'd be safe. He promised he would come back!" I fall to my knees beside Neteyam. My tears finally fall. "Neteyam!" I feel a hand on my back, attempting to comfort me as I now sob into Neteyam's chest. "This is my fault, I should have been there!" I cry out, looking back at whoever was comforting me from behind.

It's Lo'ak. "No, Tsaeyla." He shakes his head. I can tell he's been crying too. "It's not your fault." Is all he can manage to say. Lo'ak offers as much comfort as he can.

"He is with Eywa now." My mothers voice says softly as she stands beside me. I have no idea when she got there but that's the least of my concerns right now. "He is at peace."

"There will be a burial for him tonight." Neytiri says quietly, a sad look in her eyes. Jake Sully now stands beside her and they both look down at me.

"Would you like to swim out with us? To the Cove." Jake Sully asks me. "You meant a lot to Neteyam. I'm sure he would want you with us."

"Yes." I nod, "It would bring me great comfort." Though my heart aches, I stand up, stepping away from Neteyam's body and wipe the tears from my eyes. I allow his parents the last few moments with him before they have to return him to Eywa tonight.

I turn around to face Lo'ak, who looks at me with sad eyes, before I walk away to be on my own.

When I'm far enough away from the village, I begin running, the tears streaming down my face once again, and I hide away in my field, surrounded by tall grass. 

word count: 896