Surprise, Surprise

Lo'ak was first taken aback when my lips met his, but it didn't take long for him to kiss me back. He brushed a piece of hair away from my face before keeping his hand on my cheek. The kiss was passionate but unfortunately cut short.

"Woah! Lo'ak!" A voice sounds from behind us. Lo'ak and I quickly pull away and turn to look at our unexpected visitor. It was Spider. I had no idea he was even back. He left a couple days ago with the other "good" sky people and avatars, to get another oxygen mask- or something like that- since he cannot survive without it.

"Spider, what are you doing here!" Lo'ak scratches the back of his neck in embarrassment while scolding the human boy. I feel my face heat up and I turn away, looking towards the water.

"I was looking for you!" Spider laughs, "This is not what I was expecting-"

"-Well, you found me!" Lo'ak lets out a forced, awkward laugh, clearly wanting Spider to leave.

"Yeah... uh," Spider trails off. "Well, I'll catch you guys later! Bye, Tsaeyla!" Spider says, catching the hints.

"Bye, Spider." I say, loud enough for him to hear before Spider runs off, towards the Sully's Marui. I let out a laugh and bring my hands up, covering my face as I do so. "That was so terrible!"

***

(Lo'ak POV)

I arrive back to my Marui, after Tsaeyla and I's conversation. Everyone is now awake and as soon as I walk in, all eyes are on me. Mom and Dad just look sort of shocked, and have no idea what to say, while Kiri, Tuk, and Spider all smirk from their spot in the corner of the room.

"Hey.." I say awkwardly, my face heating up.

"Lo'ak has a girlfriend!" Tuk suddenly says in a sing-song voice, pointing a finger in my direction. I look straight at Spider, my eyebrows furrowing in annoyance. He just had to tell everyone. Spider just gives me a sheepish smile before shrugging slightly.

"Anything you wanna tell us, Lo'ak?" My dad addresses me, crossing his arms, though there is a small smirk on his face.

"Uh... anything you wanna know, sir?" I scratch my neck.

My mom asks, "Is there something going on with you and Olo'eyktan's daughter?"

"Tsierya? No." I joke, trying to make the situation less uncomfortable for me, but it doesn't work. "Sorry, that was a joke-"

"Lo'ak?"

"FIne, Yes!" I finally tell them, though they obviously knew already. They just wanted to hear me say it. "Surprise!" I give a weak smile and give the group very tense jazz hands. "It's not Tsireya though! If that wasn't clear." I add quickly, realizing I never corrected my joke.

"Were you really making out with her on the beach?" Kiri suddenly asks me. "This early in the morning!" She gags in disgust.

"No, I was not- I was not making out with her!"

Spider laughs,"Dude, you so were!"

"Was not!"

"Lo'ak, how long has this been going on for?" My mom questions me. She's not mad, she just seems pretty neutral about the whole thing.

"I don't know." I shrug, thinking for a moment. "I mean, I've liked her for a while-"

"-Yes, and it was so painfully obvious, brother." Kiri rolls her eyes.

"Yeah, whatever." I stick my tongue out at Kiri.

"Why didn't you ever tell us?" My dad asks.

I shake my head, "No reason. I didn't really even know what was going on with me and her until like a few days ago."

"Well, I'm happy for you, son. I wanna talk to you later though." My dad says, giving me a look. Uh oh.

"No, dad! Not the talk! I've heard it already!" I put my hands up, pleading. "I wouldn't even dare to do that anyways. Not now. I have enough of a target on my back with Tsaeyla's parents."

"What do you mean?" My mom asks me, a curious look on her face as she inches closer to me.

"Well.. her parents aren't exactly super happy about her and I. They want her to marry a warrior, and since I'm not, and different in other ways, they aren't taking it super lightly. So... now I kind of have to become a warrior to prove myself to them, so they don't make Tsaeyla marry someone else by her next birthday." I say the last part quickly, so it's hardly audible and I rub my hands together awkwardly as I do so.

"Huh?" Spider says, clearly confused. Everyone shares the same expression, having no Idea what I'd just said.

"He said he has to become a warrior to prove himself to Tsaeyla's parents, so then they don't make Tsaeyla marry somebody else by her next birthday!" Tuk repeats excitedly. My eyes went wide, shocked she understood me.

"Oh, wow." Is all my dad can get out. My mom and him share a look.

Kiri suddenly speaks up, her jaw dropped a bit. "Wow, Lo'ak, you are really screwed." 

(End of Lo'ak POV)

word count: 840