I See You

Early, the next morning, I rush out of my Marui, desperate to find something to distract my thoughts from Lo'ak Sully. This complicates so much more than just my place in the tribe but also in my friendship with both Sully boys. First, my mother would never accept Lo'ak and I because he isn't a warrior yet and a warrior is who I am expected to marry as tsahìk. Second, because he has avatar blood. Other than that... it could work between us. But! I don't even know that he feels the same way, so there is no need to think about all this! Yet, I can't help it.

The sun isn't all the way up yet, but here I am, sitting upon a small hill that overlooks the village, trying to distract myself. I think that I am fortunately pulled from my thoughts when I hear the sound of distant mumbling and aggressive footsteps. My ears perk up, and I turn my head, following the sound. I then wish I could disappear.

It's Lo'ak.

The Sully boy hasn't noticed me yet as he continues to stomp in frustration. I suddenly feel as if I'm interrupting what is supposed to be a private moment. I speak up, "Lo'ak?" And he turns to look at me quickly. I can almost see the blood rush to his cheeks as he turns red in embarrassment. (a.n: idk if that's physically possible for na'vi but whatever)

"Oh, Tsaeyla! What are you doing up so early?" He tries to change the subject and divert my attention. He scratches the back of his neck, trying to act casual. "Something bothering you?"

"You could say that..." I say quietly before returning the question. "Something bothering you?" I ask, though it's clear.

"Uh... yeah." Lo'ak doesn't even bother to try and lie. "My dad decided to bring up yesterday's events... again." He lets out a frustrated sigh before sitting down beside me.

"This early in the morning?" I ask, a little in shock.

Lo'ak scoffs, "Yeah. Unbelievable, right?" He looks over at me, our eyes lock, a genuine connection.

I almost forgot what he had said, thrown off by his gaze. "Yeah..." I breathe out. "Crazy." I repeat, almost lazily, though Lo'ak is unphased but nonetheless angry. "This storm will pass, Lo'ak." I try to reassure him and look out back towards the water. " I saw something the other day. I saw a forest boy chosen by Tulkun. I am very proud of you."

"Paykan didn't kill those Tulkun. I saw it all. The demon ship killed his mother, right in front of him. He gathered all the young bulls and reef boys together to attack the ship, and they were all killed. But by the Sky people. Not by him!" Lo'ak tells, trying to convince me. In a way I do believe, but the fault is still on Payakan.

"No, Lo'ak. By the Tulkun way he is, he bears those deaths." I explain to him, looking at him with sad eyes.

"Does he have to pay for it for the rest of his life?" Lo'ak asks me, his voice raising as he is clearly upset. "He knows what he did was wrong, he would never do it again!"

I sigh, "We must tell my father." I say before beginning to get up.

Lo'ak pulls me back. "No! I'm in enough trouble with my dad already."

"He won't understand?"

"No, he won't. He doesn't understand anything!" Lo'ak shakes his head, and his eyebrows furrow in anger. (Something else different about him, but for some reason I've always liked. Na'vi don't have eyebrows but since Lo'ak has his fathers avatar DNA, he got the trait from him. It gives him more emotion to express, and I like it). "The whole clan hates me enough already. Alien. That's all they see!" Lo'ak raises his hand for me to see.

I hold back a small sob, reminded of the time I too judged him for his additional features. I lift my hands to grab his and use my left hand to cover the fe'ranvi (flawed feature- in this case his extra finger). Lo'ak looks down at our hands, while I look at him, a mixture of sadness and endearment in my eyes. I open my mouth to speak, but the words don't come out right away, my thoughts running wild-scared of what might happen if I speak my true feelings. "I see you." Lo'ak looks back up at me before I continue. "You are brother of Tulkun. You are one of us now."

Lo'ak eyebrows raise slightly in surprise, his angry attitude fading away and a small smile falls upon his lips. 

word count: 785