18

"Kyton!" I slammed into his office bellowing as loudly as possible. "Did you seriously send someone into a human city to proposition young gay prostitutes to join our pack?!"

"Awe shit!"

He gesticulated widely like a a sugar hopped five year old making an argument for why marshmallows belong in breakfast cereal.

"Look at this, Enric. We get our pick of the best of the best! We need more twinks to sell off!"

"Fuck Kryton! People are not commodities! And didn't it ever occur to you that a gay relationship doesn't have to be between a femme and a butch? That two dominant men could want to be together? That two submissive men could want to be together?!"

There was a weird look on his face. That had never occurred to him, had it? Not once. He rubbed his neck and continued to let me berate him for another ten minutes.

"What have you done?"

I sighed, throwing myself onto his couch.

"What makes you think I've done something wrong?" He asked indignantly.

"Because you're letting me yell at you. That means even you know you deserve it."

He coughed into his hand.

"Kryton," I chided him.

"I may have tried to force Xander Withern to take a male mate." He sounded...almost embarrassed.

I sighed in exasperation, taking a seat.

"What happened."

"His wife was going to take proof that he cheated on her with another man to the council. I offered him amnesty if he mated one of the men I want in this pack. Both Withern's balked. Amanda offered to take him back and he accepted."

I rubbed my forehead, unable to look at him.

"Do you know how long I've been trying to get that man to leave his wife?"

"Ten years," my brother answered me shyly.

"Ten fucking years!" I stood up again as I shouted.

My brother just hung his head again.

"I can't fucking look at you right now!"

"I'm-"

I held up one hand, the fingers of the others pinching the bridge of my nose to relieve stress.

"Fix it. I don't know how. But if you can fuck things up so badly you damn well ought to learn to put them back together!"

"What do you want me to do, Enric?" He sighed.

"I don't know," I conceded dejectedly. "I don't know, Kryton. I just don't know."

We were both silent for a moment, letting it stretch thick and poignant between us.

"You're Alpha, Kryton. You don't have to do anything except stand there and look tough. Maybe you should just leave it at that."

---

At that time, I had no idea just how big an effect that littlest of comments would have on him.